“Perfect top quality service great food.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gurkha Village Nepalese Restaurant

Gurkha Village Nepalese Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gurkha Village Nepalese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 27 Restaurants in Kidlington
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Nepali
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Oxford
“Perfect top quality service great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I've noticed this restaurant over the months whilst driving into Oxford.
We popped in for lunch without a reservation and was greeted by a lovely host The restaurant is beautify decorated the service is quick and the food is freshly prepared. Can not fault this place well worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food - Choose the Nepalese/ Gurkha authentic dishes for a real treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

4 of us (all huge fans of Indian curries) decided to drive a little further afield to try out some Nepalese dishes. What a great decision. The Nepalese curries are very different, they are lighter and fragrant, the meat is tender and the vegetables crisp. There is none of the oil/ghee residue one often gets with Indian food in the food that arrives at the table and although we all had 3 courses and sides we were not left with that bloated, overstuffed feeling afterwards. The service was impeccable, friendly and attentive. Highlights of the menu form our point of view: The Gurkha Lamb Curry, The Gurkha Vegetable Bahar, Kwati Masala and the Lamb Adua Chops.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Do not attempt to eat here in large groups”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We arrived at gurka village on Friday for a meal for 16 People. On arriving more people arrived than expected so we asked for another 5 seats to be put out bringing our total party to 21. We arrived at 7pm and out table was finally ready at 8pm. We all had a set menu meal so we gave the instructions to the waiter..... Our starters came out 1.5 hours later at 9.40pm! we finished shortly after and waited another hour and 10 minutes for our main dish which was served at 10.50pm. By this time our appetite had passed and we were not hungry, the food served was very cold, 4 chunks of chicken per dish and a mass pile of rice.

Half the food ordered was wasted..... the mangement did apologise and say he was short staffed, however with them having our booking for 16 people a week previous i could not see any reason for excuse. He said he was a succesful businessman and tried to talk his way out of it. I refused to pay the full bill and he offered to discount the bill by £8 ...!! I dont think so, we paid our bill minus £38 giving them £230.
I have eaten here many times before and never had a problem, portions are also bigger in smaller groups! they can not deal with big groups

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andrewhaw
H_Sap, Owner at Gurkha Village Nepalese Restaurant, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Mr Andrew Haw

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit with ourselves at this family run restaurant Gurkha Village. May I first and foremost sincerely apologise for your disappointment on this occasion. It is always disappointing to receive negative feedback but especially from a regular visitors like you as our business is based on the regular customer and we pride to have over 95% as a regular customer.

I have thoroughly reviewed your comment and discussed with the Team Members and my finding with are as follows.

Firstly the booking was made for 16 people and 5 more were added on the night, and you had to wait to be seated. It is due to the limited availability on the night. As you are aware that we were fully booked as any other weekend. Please accept my foremost apology for awaiting time

Secondly, I was very perturbed to learn that your food was served cold and waiting time was longer than usual. I have spoken with the both the Head chef and the Restaurant Manager and I have been advised that at the booking stage we did offer you Banqueting menu as we normally do for the party size over 15 pax but it was declined. As you might have been aware that all our food are freshly cooked and little delays are expected with bigger group especially in busy night like Friday. Both the head chef and Restaurant Manager has especially asked to be associated with apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Lastly as per our record your bill was settled at 10pm and the restaurant Manager did offer you an extra courtesy as a goodwill gesture which was subsequently declined. To date we haven’t had any similar issue with the larger group as you have mentioned in your review but we are pleased to say that we have taken your feedback on board to overcome any shortcoming.

Once again may I apologise for your disappointment on this occasion I do hope that we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.
“Woundeful Gurkha Dinning!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I visited this Nepalese restaurant after recommended by work colleague and I wasn't disappointed at all. We were 4 of us. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. I had Gurkha tandoori mix grill which was the best grill I have ever had..very fresh and nicely flavoured with Himalayan spices.my frens were really happy with their dishes too...no doubt they were busy even on Wednesday night. And I must say that they hv lovely beer garden at the back where we chilled out after our meal. Gurkha village really is the best restaurant among Asian cuisine in Oxford. Would definitely go back and recommend .

Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Visited for a family lunch. We all had different meals but were all happy with our choices. We used our taste cards and received one of our main meals for free. Would go again.