“Harvester food in posh surrounds.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Turnpike

The Turnpike
Ranked #3 of 27 Restaurants in Kidlington
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Turnpike in Yarnton is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Harvester food in posh surrounds.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

After being in London for the day and getting back late we needed some food on a thursday evening, so thought we would head to the Turnpike, after walking in it wasn't a very warm welcome, as that what the sign at the door says. so proceeded to the bar the tall guy behind the bar was not very friendly and in a kind of cant be bothered attitude ignored us, so i went to look for a table which was round to the left of the bar, which still had dirty crockery on said to the other biggish small dumpy girl i will have that table, she then told me that you cant have that one, to which I replied why, to here answer was we are not serving food in there, but then told us we can have the one by the fire, I said no i shall have the one there thanks, I'm not sitting in the waiting area and sitting next to a fire which isn't on, and to me the whole pub felt cold and un inviting. We waited along time to order,we finally ordered, and then waited quiet a while, to this point was going to walk out and go to KFC, then suddenly the food came, or if you can call it food, i had ordered the lamb shank pie, which was over done, the mash looked like the stuff you got at school, and the veg beans, well looked as if that had seem better days, or had been there allay, My colleague meal was supposed to have Beef pie, the only one problem was that the beef was missing and could have quiet easily been called gristle pie! Whilst we could not finish this, the service was very poor, and was told by the girl with the glasses that we have not enough staff on ant he the offer that people printed the the NET was finishing tonight and thats why we are busy, I told here well if you knew the offer was ending you should have pulled extra staff in and sent them home later if it went quiet, I told here that i had worked in the pub industry for 12 years and that if it was my pub i wouldn't be running it like a MOTO cafe. After all that the tall guy came storming through and was swearing like a good one Fs and all, to me that is not the way you should act in of customers, also there was a couple of elderly people next to us and they heard it to. But to sum up the whole experience, I have had better meals at Gatwick airport, over priced plastic food bought in food with, with the word fresh missing, so will not be eating there again in the near future, think that the advise im giving is to treat your customers with respect, meet and greet on the door, candles should be lit prior to dinner and fire should be on.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vtopia

Deddington, United Kingdom
“Such a shame”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Turnpike is an exceptional venue but the standard of service and quality of the meals of late is just not consistently good enough. The newish system of waiting to be seated is certainly better tham the old rugger scrum of ordering at the bar, providing that you are not ingnored. I have been lucky and never have been ignored under the current system but I have seen couples just walk out after not receiving any attention after a reasonable amount of time. Front of house is very important, customers need to be valued.
On my last visit, a Wednesday in early January 2013, the manager and one waitress were trying to work the whole restaurant with a chap doing his best with drinks Etc. Despite their hard work, they could not cope adequately with trying to take orders, clear tables, bring out food and taking further orders for desserts. I know that on some occasions food was waiting at the kitchen for want of someone to collect it ! Other diners on at least two tables near to us were getting a bit agitated with non taking of orders and food service delays.
My wife and I elected to try the Wednesday Pie Specials. We had the pudding style pie but found that they had been hard baked rather than steamed so had an almost inedible crust. They were to be served with a "medley of vegetables" that turned out to be a couple of brussel sprouts and a few green beans, not quite what we had hoped for. The side order of cauliflower cheese was also a big disapointment being very undercooked with a watery cheese sauce. On paying, I did advise on the shortcomings of the cauliflower cheese but did not have the heart to express my overall concerns re the whole dining experience to the very likeable waitress who I could see was working really hard. I suspect that being part of a chain, there will be pressure from head office, to keep staff costs to a minimum and maybe this policy is also affecting the quality of food. There have been a number of previous visits, over the recent years, where I have said to myself "lets give them another try" but based on my last vist, I will not risk it again. Such a shame.

• Visited January 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Really lovely old pub, that looks as good on the inside as the outside. Great feel to the place with exposed beams and a nice open fire.

We went there for lunch, food was excellent (I had fish cakes) and there was some nice local ale. Puddings looked great but I had no room left.

Service was great, efficient and friendly.

Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Much better than expected from some of these reviews.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went as part of a group of 10 with slight trepidation after reading some of these reviews, but fears were unfounded.
The service was excellent. We had pre-ordered and, despite a couple of people changing their order on arrival, the starters were served quite quickly after we were seated. There was a perfectly acceptable time between each course - you need time between, not to have each course thrown at you straight after the last. The place was pretty full, but the staff coped with it efficiently and in a friendly way. We had no complaints about service and heard none from others around us.
Generally speaking the food was very good, with plenty of choice and reasonably priced. A couple of our group said their steak was a bit tough (for which they got a free pudding) and one was undercooked, which was quickly rectified. However, my husband had the same steak and his was fine. Everything I had was delicious and cooked to perfection, with plenty on the plates.
All the staff were friendly and helpful, there is a good atmosphere and the layout is nice with lots of nooks and crannies and an open fire in the bar.
One minor, slightly irrelevant point - whoever does the chalk boards needs to learn to spell ad not put a dot on a capital I !!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Completely ignored!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

On entering this establishment what seemed to be the manageress showed no interest in the fact that we had walked In, we stood for a few mins as she kept rushing passed us with no acknowledgement at all. A women had to stop her to ask her why they had been there an hour and not been served, on hearing that we decided not to wait any longer! I went to the bar to and said to the woman that seeing as our custom was not wanted we would leave, she said nothing!
I won't waste my time going there again!!!