“Nice and relaxing”

Sturdy's Castle Country Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Kidlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for one night and found it to be lovely. It's neat and homely and the rooms are comfortable and clean.
The only thing I would mark it down for is the food. We had seafood platter for starters which was nice. For the main my husband had a mixed grill which was adequate and I had spaghetti bolognase which was ok but not great. The breakfast however was lovely with plenty of choice.
All in all we would defiantly stay here again we could find no real fault with it.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We have used this pub/hotel for many years, with previous owners and under the new(ish) management, its location is excellent and the area is beautiful.

We continue to use this place as its centrally located for the 20+ members of the family, there is also plenty of parking .... BUT there is always a problem !! from booking us in on the wrong date to wrong food orders to a very rude duty manager.

The duty manager who was on shift on Mothers day was so rude to a member of staff in front of me, and other customers, im surprised she didn't walk out !

The food is always good and the staff are very efficient and friendly but it would appear the management need to be reminded of this, they do not respond to email enquiries and are very curt and unhelpful on the phone, considering we are spending a lot of money I would expect some level of politeness ?

We have difficulty finding somewhere that can fit us all in which is why we use the place, again the parking is good and the gardens nice to sit in (watch out for broken glass) its a great location and easy to find, have not seen the rooms but know they are not cheap.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Pippa T
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

I love it when you get to a place and the staff are genuinely enthusiastic about their work.
Pub grub done well.
Excellent room.
Perfick!
Top tip. Bring a small dog with you for extra attention from the charming staff!
This place really is dog-friendly (rather than just about dog tolerant like some).

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Food order was wrong after a 30 minute wait.
Over cooked fish and rock hard burgers (at ��13 EACH may I add)
Drinks warm with no ice. Waitresses with faces like they were chewing wasps with an attitude to rival a manure pile.
Stay away from this highly overpriced, microwaved food shambles.

Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Ljeg85
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Yet again the smaller cozy hotel tops the big brands. Competitive pricing, fantastic food, personal service with a smile. Room was largest single room I've stayed in past six weeks in UK. Bigger bathroom with massive shower head made me feel like I was back in Canada. Evening meal was delight after challenging chef to match a "steak" Canadian style. 28 day aged beef on the menu was mouthwatering. Connecting door and snoring was only down side to a otherwise great place.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We have not actually stayed at this establishment. I made a booking last night and have to admit that I made an error: I failed to notice that I booked a twin room for one person, rather than for my husband and myself. When the confirmation arrived, I noticed that the rate had gone up from £62.50 to £85.00, so I rang to query this, and my mistake was pointed out. This was rather more than we wished to pay, so I cancelled our reservation by phone and wrote a standard, but polite e-mail to confirm the cancellation. This morning, I received the following e-mail:

"Your booking has been cancelled, I take many bookings each day and no-one else seems to have a problem with our site.
Regards
Sturdys Castle"

I think a rude e-mail like this is quite unnecessary: there was no salutation and it is anonymous, even though it was personalised by the writer referring to him/herself eg "I take......" This Pub may indeed be a wonderful place to stay, but we shall never bother to find out - there are other places to stay nearby. The customer is always right (even when wrong, like me!) and should be treated with courtesy and dignity.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We popped for lunch after driving back from a weekend break. We did not book, and they were very busy, but a table was found between bookings. First impressions were excellent, a very hospitable and accommodating welcome, great decor and lovely and warm on a bleak winters day. The staff were fantastic, helpful but not intrusive. We opted for the Sunday roast (£12.50 but included in the 2 for 1 offer. A warming glass of red wine and ale soon arrived and at very reasonable cost for this area. Our meals arrived after about 15 minutes and were delicious, we would have had a pudding if we had room. The menu looked varied and priced very competitively and the meals passing our table looked and smelt great. Our bill was about £21 for two large roast dinners, a large glass of red wine and pint of bitter - great value when considering the quality and service. We will definitely be going back even though it's a 45 minute drive but we will book next time to be safe!

Room Tip: Did not stay in hotel.