The Bell at Hampton Poyle
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Manor(Weston on the Green)
The Dashwood Hotel(Kirtlington)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Feathers Hotel(Woodstock)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsmonsoon showerl'occitane toiletriesbicester villageroll top bathhampton poylethe pubvenisonfresh milkfor sunday lunchblenheim palacecooked breakfastfull englishcooked to perfectionwaiting staffmain coursepuddinggreat room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed in a room which to be honest I thought was on the small side considering the price these rooms are usually marketed at. The room I had was above the kitchen and the extraction system from there was located behind a wall in the corner of the room. Whilst it was operating which was up to 10:50pm and from 6:30am the following morning sleep was particularly difficult to achieve.

In addition there seemed to be staff working in the kitchen until the early hours as their movements, banging and clattering could be heard in the room.

Beware if you are allocated this room on arrival.

Room Tip: Avoid staying in room 9
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Vegasking
belleoxford, Manager at The Bell at Hampton Poyle, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you very much for your honest comment. You are correct and the bedroom can get noisy, therefore we are trying to keep the price as low as possible.
If you would like to book with us again directly, we will make sure this does not happen again and we will try to do our best to insure your stay is most enjoyable.
Please, accept our apologies and we value your feedback.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

This small structure is located in a beautiful surrounding and it really has a lot of style. I've been there twice in few months and I was never disappointed. Rooms are well sized and very carefully decorated, tea/coffee/biscuits/water are free in your room and at reception I've always been asked if I wanted some fresh milk.
I've stayed both in the rooms right above the Restaurant and in the "Cottage rooms". The latest are reached only by exiting the restaurant and reentering next door, can be a bit bothering with cold weather or when raining. It is just few meters anyway. In this case I got a room at Ground floor, downpoint is that the ceiling was really low, I could barely stand inside the room (I am average height), try to avoid it if you want to enjoy your room at full. Also some cold air was entering the room from the front door, since it is very close to the building entrance and from the old windows (not a big issue though),
Rooms above the Restaurant seem to be bigger and with higher ceilings.
In both cases bathrooms (one with shower and one with bath) were really nice and filled with all amenities you may need.
Breakfast and meals are really good and the staff absolutely welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Maq_10

Thank you for your kind feedback. You are absolutely right about the cottage rooms. As much as they are cosy and welcoming, the ceiling is little bit low if you are average height.
Therefore we are trying to keep the prices accordingly.
When you book next time with us, please make sure you mention that on the phone and we will ensure to allocate you in a bedroom with a high ceiling.
We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Popular and intimate pub dining experience with food prepared to good standards. I have been there 3 times and it has been consistently good with generous portions. The rooms are special and well worth a stay. The service is attentive and friendly and although my last fillet steak was a little dry the crème brûlée was sumptuous. Sea food is prevalent on the menu which I like. Yes, do go there, I don't think it will disappoint but there is a need for some more new world wines (a personal choice despite being brought up on French wines) in the list.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely review. Your comments are much appreciated and we are now doing a special wine of the season. We recently extended our wine list with a special wine to suit the great weather we are having and of course to match our menu.

We hope you will book with us again soon to try new wines and give us your opinion. We look forward to it.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We needed to escape from the kids and the Christmas mayhem in London, so searched here for an affordable, quality hotel within easy reach of home where we could just switch off, eat, drink and enjoy some relaxed conversation. It was like a healing shot in the arm! Just an hours drive and we were in the peace and tranquillity of this lovely Inn. Easy to find, park, unload and settle with a warm welcome and welcoming bar. The food is terrific, expertly cooked and imaginative without being pretentious. The wine list is varied and well priced and the atmosphere in the restaurant comfy, buzzy and warm whilst the service delivered was friendly, informed and very efficient. The restaurant and bar are surprisingly large but they manage to retain an intimacy and cosiness I love and seek in English country pubs. The bedroom suite was stylish, well appointed and spotlessly clean, with a bed and duvet so comfy I started to question my own at home. A stay in any hotel can be made or ruined by the service and this is where the Bell completes the package. Nothing was too much for the staff who were so friendly and attentive and clearly all take great pride in the place and in providing a fantastic service. I only wish my stay had been longer, but I console myself with the prospect of returning in the spring, or indeed whenever the hustle and bustle of everyday life prescribes the vital ‘shot in the arm’ that the Bell so easily delivers.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Lovely pub with comfortable rooms. The restaurant has a great atmosphere and the food is very good. The staff are very friendly and helpful, Suzy and her team are great. Would recommend it. Had a wonderful Christmas stay here they made us very welcome as always.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again - hopefully sooner than Christmas!