“Not for us...”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Not for us...”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Aged, limited, tired- and that's just the menu. Barking bar staff and an uneasy atmosphere. Won't be back.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Felix78841

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Congratulations”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have only lived in Saltford for a short while and I absolutely love it. When we initially looked around the village we realised it really was a village with shops, a post office, a hairdresser, a vet etc., a church and most of all a 'village pub' - and The Bird in Hand fulfils all the criteria one should be. The 'locals' are so friendly and the pub has such a friendly atmosphere, besides wonderful food. Sometimes it is difficult to cook when I know what is on offer. I would like to congratulate the owner and staff for such a lovely Christmas meal we had with my family and most of all for Christmas Eve and the 'Carol Service' followed by a White Christmas and the 12-days of Christmas all sung to a real piano. The whole pub sang - it was very, very emotional, and with a collection for charity. Many, many thanks.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank MAUREEN B
Bath, United Kingdom
“Just read Colin B's review of 5 November”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I could have written this review almost word for word about 12 months ago.

I think the dish was advertised on the specials board as Somerset pork in cream and cider.

Absolutely tasteless. It was thin slices of pork which was clearly used for their roast dinners - they must be brilliant.

Give it a miss.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank AdrianJones91
Kingswood, United Kingdom
“Fantastic......!!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

We have been going to The Bird in Hand for over 10 years and we have always had good quality home cooked food with a wonderful atmosphere. We have seen many staff come and go but hospitality never in question. Those that have experienced a less than perfect visit I can only say remember it is a lovely village pub not a chain owned gastro pub!!!

2 Thank BettyBurstner
Bristol
“poor food”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I took my elderly Dad out for mid-week lunch here. We sat in the conservatory, which, whilst it was light and airy, the decor made one feel you were in a teashop or cafe.
My meal was simply dreadful. Described as "chicken scorcher", char-grilled breast with chile tomatoe sauce, onions and cheese. It arrived minutes after the order had been placed. It had obviously been pre-cooked and re-heated, and it was luke warm! The meat was tough and chewy.
Dad had ham, egg and chips. The ham looked like sliced ham out of a packet from the supermarket. He said it was just about ok- but we wouldn't be rushing back here!
The staff were fine and it was very busy, so maybe struck unlucky.

• Visited October 2012