“Nothing else like it!”
Review of El Cuelebre

El Cuelebre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Exclusive Spanish school in the mountains of Somiedo Natural Park, Asturias, Spain.
Bend, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing else like it!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stumbled upon this Spanish immersion opportunity (if an internet search can be termed "stumbled"). At that time there were no reviews, so it was a bit of a gamble. After a few days in this idyllic setting under the tutelage of our gracious hosts, we agreed that this was not only by far the best language experience we've ever had (in about 40 years of language study and travel), but was also one of the best travel experiences of any kind. The local hiking opportunites were so outstanding that we became quite lazy about studying, but that was one of the strengths of their approach - you can customize it totally to your desires, level of language skill, and tastes. We arrived as students, left as friends, and hope for many return trips. You can search far and wide for a language learning experience, but I seriously doubt you'll find anything to match this. (PS, the food was superb as well.)

Visited April 2013

Market Drayton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

If you're a hispanophile and like walking in the mountains, this is for you! Great hosts - fabulous food - views to die for! What a way to learn Spanish, be you a beginner or working towards your DELE Superior.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Simon961
Perth, Australia
“One Australian's magical week at El Cuelebre”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

As an older (60+) traveller from a flattish part of Australia, I knew I'd be bowled over by El Cuelbre's magnificent mountain setting, but wondered how my 'reasonable' fitness - and basic Spanish - would stand up. Well, I had the week of my life. The very personable and kind Jimena and Alfredo kept a reassuring eye on me during our mountain hikes. We had a ball on the coast exploring historic sites and fascinating coastal attractions. Each night we came home to Jimena's excellent cooking and Alfredo's lively conversation - and the sweet tinkle of returning cow bells at dusk. Guestroom was spacious, spotless and comfortable. Oh, and my Spanish improved no end. Afredo, Jimena, El Cuelbre: take a bow.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Just perfect”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed with Jimena and Alfredo for a week in their lovely house in La Peral, Asturias. It was a wonderful experience with great accommodation, fabulous food (thanks, Jimena!), super walks led by Alfredo and, of course, excellent Spanish lessons. Jimena and Alfredo speak very good English as well, but we found the total immersion in Spanish to be really helpful. We would thoroughly recommend El Cuelebre and hope to return on day.

London
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A totally unique Spanish immersion experience”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

First, what can you say for a unique experience: staying with a welcoming Spanish couple learning Spanish in a house in a tiny little village in the magical mountains of Asturias. However, Alfredo and Jimena's courses are different.

There are lessons, but the large part of the experience is taught by excursions and trips to Somiedo, either walks through the mountains, gullies and forest to remote little villages, to the coast or to Oviedo to see the sights of this charming little city. I even ended up at trip to the local "medico" and hospital, which Alfredo y Jimena were more than caring (and the total experience was in Spanish too). During the evening, Jimena would cook typical Spanish food and the conversation was always light and interesting over a glass of fine red.

So after a week's stay at 'La Peral', my Spanish had certainly improved and I had two new friends for life. Thank you Alfredo y Jimena.

3 Thank Scottyr1977