My wife and I stayed for one night at this magnificent hideaway in December 2006. Looking back we wished we had changed our plans and stayed a few extra nights. Coming from Colombo through the narrow highway into Galle and then through the village roads to Kahanda Kanda took around 2 hrs. After asking the local for direction many of which had never heard of the place we called up George (the owner) and were promptly give direction according to landmarks along the way. Upon arrival we were given the garland around our necks and refreshments while being personally showed to our room by George. The hotel set in a fantastic location on a hill with around 10-20 acres of tea plantation surrounding it has a superb view of Koggolla Lake. With only 5 villas to accommodate guests this place is a real treat for those who want privacy and not a whole lot of tourists. We were lucky when we got there as we were the only guest for the night. We had booked the Peacock suite (the biggest they had) which allowed for two outdoor bathroom and bay windows that opened out again to that magnificent view of the lake. All décor was tastefully appointed in the room as George told us he was an interior decorator from London and had sourced all the pieces from different parts of the world. A feature that we both loved in the room was the two outdoor bathrooms. Even though it rained most of the time it was enjoyable to have a shower out in the elements.
As we were on our honeymoon I had asked for some special things to make it more memorable. They were able to provide private musicians from the local village to play hits for us from the Eagles to local Sri Lankan Bila. George even created an arbour for free in the gardens for us to have our dinner. Unfortunately it was still raining at dinner time and we had to scrap the idea.
The actual dinner was another experience in itself. The chef was able to create a menu that was right up our lane of vegetable spring rolls, lobster tail and an exquisite dessert that I had to have two serving. The first dessert that I had was chocolate mousse which I found to be far too bitter to my liking. Seeing my facial expression trying to eat this, the waiter was quick enough to get a sweeter dessert. Another thing that must be mentioned is the service provided by staff. While being attentive to all of our whims we found that they were also inconspicuous. Something we rather liked.
Having only time for one day we didn’t get to try the pool but from what we saw it would have been great. The most striking feature of this place was the turmeric coloured wall that spans almost all of the length of the hotel. Those that have read “Sri Lankan Style” – Channa Daswatte/Dominic Sansoni would be familiar with this wall that has glassless windows cut through it at various points.
The villa is one of the better that we have resided in, if you don’t mind going off the beaten track a tiny bit but staying at truly well appointed accommodation. A concern that we did have were the lighting at the villas seemed a bit low and you had to pay cash no credit cards etc. Overall a great place to get away from it all. If you’re lucky enough you may well be the only guests at the villa and have all the services you need.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set high up above a tea estate, and yet within easy reach of the stunning beaches for which Sri Lanka is well know, Kahanda Kanda is the perfect hideaway. With stunning individual villas that afford privacy and space, combined with sensational views, the cuisine is superb, and the service is first class. We aim to offer 5 star service, and with only 5 suites, that service is truly individual. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity and Expedia so you can book your Kahanda Kanda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kahanda Kanda Angulugaha
- Kahanda Kanda Hotel Angulugaha
- Kahanda Kanda Sri Lanka/Angulugaha