We stayed in the Peacock Suite,for five days in August last year. We'd only been to KK before to have lunch and look around but we loved it so much we were determined to come back and stay.
It's actually quite difficult to describe how wonderful this place is,perched on the hill above Koggala Lake,the manicured grounds carved out of the jungle and surrounded by an immaculate tea plantation.
The hotel itself is a real labour of love by it's owner George Cooper.The design is beautiful,giving a new slant to traditional Sinhalese architecture,decorated with real style and thoughtfullness and attention to detail.
The food is incredible, George sent both his chefs off to Thailand to learn the secrets of Thai cooking, but everything that they make is delicious,with the freshest of ingredients.As some people have already mentioned you can pretty much ask for what you want. I also asked if I could have some cookery lessons with the chef who was delighted to oblige.
Again it's the thoughtful attention to detail, which you notice,the wonderful breakfast is served in the pergola by the pool,lunch can be served in the wonderful open dining pavillion and dinner wherever you want it.We were the only people there for our stay and the staff amused themselves by dreaming up new venues for us,by the pool surrounded by candles and on our last night,they built us a grotto,made of woven branches and decorated with fairy lights and candles,but that's just typical of what to expect from KK staff.
You can do as much or as little as you want,sitting by pool reading,taking a tuktuk down to Galle or down to the nearby beach-do try Why beach bar-the Italian food is great and the owners are charming,taking a bike ride through local villages or taking a boat trip on Koggala lake to see what it all looks like from water level are all pretty great but just hanging out watching the monkeys swing through the trees twice a day,mongooses passing by and then watching an amazing sunset and waiting for the fireflies to come out are all pretty magical too! There is also a gym room and if you can't live without any media, a TV and a library of DVDs as well.
There is a real family atmosphere at KK,George is the most genial and charming of hosts and Henry, Pubudu and the chefs will go out of their way to do what they can to make you feel welcome.
I know that I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said but it really is a truly magical place-I can't recommend it highly enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set high up above a tea estate, and yet within easy reach of the stunning beaches for which Sri Lanka is well know, Kahanda Kanda is the perfect hideaway. With stunning individual villas that afford privacy and space, combined with sensational views, the cuisine is superb, and the service is first class. We aim to offer 5 star service, and with only 5 suites, that service is truly individual. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Kahanda Kanda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kahanda Kanda Angulugaha
- Kahanda Kanda Hotel Angulugaha
- Kahanda Kanda Sri Lanka/Angulugaha