Kahanda Kanda
  • Pool
$116
$78
Hotels.com
Koggala Beach Hotel(Koggala)(Great Value!)
Cantaloupe Aqua(Unawatuna)
  • Beachfront
Apa Villa Thalpe(Unawatuna)
Era Beach(Galle)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgeorge coopertea plantationsri lankadining pavilionkoggala lakehibiscus suiteoutdoor showerboutique hotelhis teamour honeymoonmangoinfinity poolpaddy fieldstuk tukcurrygalle forttuna
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Only came here for lunch. Wished we could of stayed. The grounds, buildings and what I saw of the rooms are exceptional.

We saw the Hotel information in the Galle Fort shop of the same name and thought lets give it a try. Not difficult to find but well tucked away. Nothing like I expected in size. having checked the room rates I thought this is expensive but having seen the Hotel its real value for money.

Not busy the day we were there but the atmosphere and ambience of the dining area made you feel you were rather special, sitting there with the breeze cooling the day time heat. The menu is short but more than appetising. The actual food lives up and exceeds any expectation.

Service was excellent.

It was expensive by local standards but worth every penny for the quality of the experience.

Will certainly return.

2  Thank northt21
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our two week honeymoon in Sri Lanka. We stayed at five different hotels (a mixture of luxury and rugged) while we were in the country... and KK was our big splurge. The last two nights of our honeymoon were spent at this hotel and although our room was beautiful, it was far and away the least favorite part of our trip. Actually, it was the ONLY bad part of our trip!

While we were in Sri Lanka, we were overwhelmed by the kindness and warmth of the people we met. Unfortunately, this was not the case at KK.

We were met by the hotel manager, who was very cold and formal. We tried to chat with him and as we walked to the room, we mentioned that it was our Honeymoon. He then proceeded to scold us (literally) for not having told them this (which we HAD, in earlier emails to the hotel) and said that had the hotel known that it was our honeymoon, we would have been upgraded or gotten special treatment, but that since we hadn't given them notice, we wouldn't be getting anything. He then said that they hotel was fully booked (which was a lie) and said that because of that, we wouldn't be getting an upgrade. He then turned around and left.

Please let me be clear, my husband and I didn't ASK for any upgrades or gifts, nor did we expect them. We did not receive any special treatment at any other hotels, nor did we care. But by telling us this (very rudely), it made us feel as though we had lost something and were getting the short end of the stick. It was a horrible first impression and made us feel as though this beautiful room, that we were spending a lot of money on, was not as special as we had thought.

The service never warmed up from there. Although the Tea Room where we stayed was beautiful (which, as an interior designer, was a lot of fun)... I had specifically requested the Garden Suite. When I was surprised to be put in a different room, I was told that that the Garden Suite wasn't available for both nights. Since we didn't want to have to move back and forth from room to room, we said that the Tea Suite was fine.... then we discovered that we weren't given a double bed! The Tea Suite has two twin beds pushed together, with a king sized fitted sheet holding them together, and we kept falling through the crack in the middle during the night. It was the most uncomfortable night's sleep... and didn't exactly add to the romance of a honeymoon to have two twin beds. I'm not one to nit-pick, but that's pretty absurd. Since we had been told that the hotel was "fully booked" we didn't complain, because we thought that this bed was our only option. To top it off... NO ONE EVER STAYED IN THE GARDEN SUITE! It was another lie from the manager.

Additionally, the staff spoke such poor english that it made ordering anything very difficult. This was very odd, as we had been camping in the jungle just days earlier, and took the local busses around the country. Almost every Sri Lankan we met spoke enough english to communicate at a higher level than at KK.

The staff was also SO formal and distant that the hotel felt cold and very different from all the other places we stayed in Sri Lanka... but this formality was paired with an odd sense of being nickle-and-dimed for everything, which usually only comes with budget hotels. We enjoyed cocktails for an hour before dinner, but were not given any bar snacks (nuts,chips,pretzels) without being told that it would be an extra charge of 700rpd... and ordering a cappucino or latte at breakfast is an extra charge as well.

I used to work for a hotel group that managed 5 star resorts around the world, and the idea of charging someone for bar snacks who is spending $350-$700/night on their room PLUS all of their meals, is literally unheard of.

Nothing about the experience felt connected to the beautiful culture or country, since we weren't being embraced in the Sri Lankan way. This treatment wasn't simply because this was an "upscale" hotel. We stayed at Tintagel in Colombo, which was the same price point, and were overwhelmed by their warmth, hospitality and incredible generosity.

Unfortunately, our last two nights of our honeymoon left a bad taste in our mouths. I wish that we had skipped KK and saved the money. Most of all, I wish that I could have spent the last nights of my honeymoon at one of the other heavenly hotels in Sri Lanka. I hate that our final hours were in such an artificial and unwelcoming resort environment.

8  Thank TLorelei
GeorgeCooper_8, Owner at Kahanda Kanda, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Josh and Tess

Firstly, may I say how saddened I was to read your review - not only because you have left KK with a sense of huge dis-satisfaction, but also because I am so surprised by your comments.

I have been through all the correspondence relating to your booking (2 brief emails) and have spoken to the staff, to find out how and why things went wrong with your stay here.

We received two emails from Josh, firstly on the 3rd December saying that despite the fact you had booked the Tea Suite, you wished to change to the Garden Suite and the second email on December 31st, was about how to get to KK from your previous hotel. There is not ONE single mention that you are on your honeymoon.

Duminda, who was the duty manager when you checked in, has assured me that when he escorted you to your room, there was absolutely no mention from you that you were on your honeymoon. When you asked him about the Garden Suite, he said that he would check and when he got back to you, having shown the suite to you, you informed him that you were happy to stay in the Tea Suite. I am not sure why you had not been allocated the Garden Suite at the outset, that is our fault, and for which I do apologise. However, you were shown the Garden Suite shortly after arrival and given the option to move, but declined.

You also claim that he told you that the hotel was full - that I do not believe he can have said, since there were in fact four other rooms vacant that particular night.

I feel that I must defend my staff against the claims that you have made - that they were unfriendly and that they did not understand spoken English. You only have to read the reviews from other guests to see the glowing comments about how friendly and welcoming the staff are at KK. Similarly we have only once had a complaint from a guest about a lack of understanding by a member of staff.

With regards to charging for snacks in the Living Room before dinner, this has always been our custom, and nobody has complained before. For your information, our room rates do not go up to $700 as you claim - our most expensive suite is $530 at Christmas and New Year. Similarly we have always charged for a cappuccino or the like at breakfast, and I think you would find that most hotels have the same practice.

I feel it is a real shame that you did not express your views during your stay here - as far as we were aware, you were very happy with everything and we arranged for you to leave your bags in our shop whilst you waited to catch your train to Colombo. At the time you both showed your gratitude at the extra service we had provided. If you really were that unhappy, why did you not say anything whilst you were here, and we would have tried very hard to to rectify matters?

Again, I should like to say I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your time here, would like to take the opportunity of wishing you and your husband - whom I met just briefly - every happiness in your life together.

George Cooper

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed at Kahanda Kanda in November 2013 for four nights.

I will start with the negative points:
- the rooms urgently need renovation. We spent one night in Aralya Suite which was beautiful, but in really bad shape. The toilet seat made from wood was disgusting with stains all over, the seams were dirty and everything looked very much used with the walls full of stains and the curtains dirty. We then changed to Tamarind Suite the next day which was a little better, but asked the team to send in painters and cleaners before moving. After it had been fixed, the room was beautiful.
- the General Manager was in general friendly, but not really cordial. When we told him about us wanting either a discount or a properly cleaned and fixed room, his attitude was rather rude. But paying so much money for the room, this behavior was totally inappropriate.

The reason why we still want to give the hotel a very good rating:
- the food was delicious throughout our stay
- the location is absolutely fantastic. It is a 20 minute drive to town which is quite far, but it's actually fun riding the tuk tuk. What is truly oustanding is the wildlife you can see at the hotel. While I was swimming in the pool one morning, a bald eagle was circling over my head. From our private verandah, we saw peacocks every day, we could watch monkeys enjoy bananas, chipmunks drinking the nectar of banana flowers and once we were even able to observe a chameleon.
- the interior design of the rooms is very tasteful and provides a colonial atmosphere
- the double showers are very nice
- the service was very good
- the pool was small, but sufficient and the entire pool area was beautiful

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We only stayed one night for new years eve whilst travelling around Sri Lanka but this place is an ideal escape from the hustle bustle of travelling this stunning country. We weren't in the top notch Suites as it was a late booking for a busy period but no where in the grounds is a bad place to be, luxury and class pervade. The atmosphere is calm and rich, the food is just exceptional - the spread laid on for the evening was among the best food I have had, I only wish I could have had more of everything. We were away without our kids and as an escape from life with beauty and pampering this is the place to go.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at KK, in the Mango Suite. Unfortunately we were only able to stay one night, but if we ever get the chance to return we will definitely stay for longer! Our bungalow was beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable, and the staff were friendly and professional. We also really enjoyed the pavillion bar / relaxing area, with really comfortable seating, board games and tons of books. The perfect place for a drink or two before dinner.

With regards to food, dinner was lovely and the Sri Lankan breakfast is a must. After two weeks of travelling in Sri Lanka and tasting all the wonderful dishes, we were disappointed that there is only a Sri Lankan dinner option one night a week (which we missed). But it is easy to arrange a tuk tuk to other restaurants nearby for Sri Lankan food if you wish to...and if you can drag yourself away from KK!

Thank you to all at KK for a wonderful stay, and we hope to see you again one day.