“A hidden gem in the island of sunshine ..”
Review of Kahanda Kanda

Kahanda Kanda
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angulugaha
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were looking for a tea estate holiday, and all the time we have always been to the up country to experience such a holiday. Although, this holiday we could not find any room, then I found this gem. I am glad that we did not find any room in the usual tea country, because we found a luxurious hotel in another tea esate in a different part of Sri Lanka. It made us explore further about the island of sunshine.

We, that was myself, my husband and my father, we had a wonderful time at KK!! The service was special. The staff was really helpful. I wish I can name them,sadly I cannot remember their names. We really appreciate the two of the staff members who looked like they were twins but actually they were not. I even asked them if they were and they politely said they were not. It looked, like I was not the first one to question about their similarities. They were very attentive, professional and friendly. It really makes me so glad to be back in Lanka, from all the smiles .. Because I live outside Sri Lanka and it made me feel like I am back home because of all the warmth we received form the staff.No where in the world would people be smiling at you other than Lanka.

Absolutely a stunning place !!Our suite was named, The Dubu suite and what a room. We had our own pool. Huge bed, long doors and window that we could open right around the room, it let bright light and cool breeze in. I loved the china that was on display. Maybe because I am also a collector. The most beautiful thing was in this room was actually out side.The magnificent mango tree that stands right in front of the room like a giant waving it's arms up above, as if welcoming everyone in to the garden.. We have never seen a tree like that. Even had a bit of an adventure with the monkeys.. Cheeky buggers !!

The hotel had a great fitness room. My husband and I workout quite a bit. I am a hockey player and I also train Muay Thai, so I specially loved the punching bag. And the fact we both could train on the ground running on those those steep hills, the dogs were my running mates, such cuties. We are both training for a half a marathon, so it really helped out a great deal. Few of the gusts must have thought the two of us were just nuts. But that is just us, we are not really the type of travelers who just laze around whole day by the beach. So this hotel was just perfect fit for us.

However, I do have one negative thing but only about our room, it is difficult to use the bathrooms during the rain. We had two of them, though they were both located out side. Maybe should consider at least attaching one small additional toilet to the room, it would make life much easier..

Thank you very much to everyone at KK for making our stay a memorable, peaceful and scrumptious.. We will be back.. Ciao. Inoka, Jonas and Gamunu.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Inoka74
GeorgeCooper_8, Manager at Kahanda Kanda, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Thank you for your great review of KK!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you experienced the perfect relaxing atmosphere at KK.

In regards to your negative point of bathrooms, we are about to install a small cloakroom on the rear of the suite, so that guests don't get wet during the rain, and easier at night time.

We are pleased that you stayed with us and we look forward to seeing you again at KK for another relaxing stay.

Best wishes,

Chinthana Bandara

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Where to even start, KK is the most beautiful place! With only 8 rooms, this hotel is the epitome of intimate. We were recommended to stay in the Peacock Suite, with its private garden and two outdoor showers. The interiors were beautiful with great attention to detail. The exterior was magical with a magnificent view over Galle. The staff were so friendly and made us feel at home for our three night stay.

Food was excellent, by far the best in Galle. We ate out twice and were very disappointed compared to the quality and consistency of KK.

Food tip - the KK special prawn cups!

Highly recommend and would definitely return!

Room Tip: Peacock Suite
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 2nd trip to Sri Lanka this year and this time did the Best of Boutiques which culminated in 2 nights at Kahanda Kanda (KK).

What to say that had not already been said here? This hotel is a piece of paradise on earth. In all the places I have ever stayed, KK will always live in my memory as something very special indeed. The setting, the team, the attention to detail. Second to none. I cannot recommend visiting this hotel highly enough. All I can say is once visited, never forgotten. And impossible to make this a once in a lifetime event.

Thank you George and your wonderful team. A spectacular end to our latest visit to the Isle of Smiles.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alliwilt
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We recently visited Sri Lanka and ended our stay at magical Kahanda Kanda (KK). After staying in the Galle fort, followed by a stay on the beach at Thalpe, KK proved to be the perfect setting to spend our last days of the holiday. Despite travelling in early September we had good weather and only occasional rain - which did nothing to detract from the idyllic location and wonderful experience. We stayed in the stunning (and very large) Dubu Villa, set in its own gardens, with private pool and outdoor bathroom. It was as though we had our own private home, with excellent staff quietly working in the background to make sure our stay was as relaxed and comfortable as possible. The food was great (I have to recommend the jumbo prawns) and the cooking lesson we took means hopefully we will be able to relive a little of Sri Lanka back home.

Perhaps most memorable was the private dinner arranged for us by the owner, George. I had requested something special to celebrate my partner's 50th birthday. Unbeknownst to me, my partner had also spoken to George about adding some special touches to the evening. Although there had been some heavy rain early, it cleared enough to have a beautiful outdoor dinner under a small marquis for two, decorated with candles and flowers, while fireflies flitting about in the trees. Following a superb dinner, birthday cake surprisingly came accompanied by a hilarious Mariachi trio in sombreros, following which I was surprised by a chocolate box, which was opened to reveal a ring box within. It was an amazing night made possible by the whole team at KK. Who knows, maybe I will have to go back for the wedding...

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jo V
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We recently chose Kahanda Kanda as our wedding venue for approximately 70 guests who travelled from predominantly Australia as well as UK, Asia and around Sri Lanka. I selected this venue after reading the outstanding reviews of the property and of the owner/operator George Cooper and his fabulous staff. Even going to KK with the knowledge that this would be an amazing place, it completely exceeded my expectations! I could not be more grateful to the KK team for making my wedding day an unforgettable experience so I want to take the appropriate time to write this review and my glowing feedback on all aspects of my stay. I would recommend KK and Sri Lanka as the ultimate wedding destination, not only will KK give you an unimaginable wedding experience, Sri Lanka will give your guests an unforgettable holiday - there is a reason why Sri Lanka has been named as the top holiday destination this year.

Design/Staff
Stepping onto the KK premises it is evident the thought and creativity that has been put into the design - this is not just luxury....this is villas that boast personality and style. Every detail is considered and collectively brings such a unique and chic feel - it is hard to describe as it really is in a league of its own. I've never stayed anywhere like this. We booked all 8 villas for 3 days and our closest family and friends could not have been more impressed and excited to stay here with us at KK. The dining pavilion and bar area exude the same chic feel and overlook the breathtaking tea fields below. The service shown to all guests is one of genuine care, the staff are extremely attentive and strive to do all they can to help with any request. All with big smiles and beautiful Sri Lankan hospitality.

Wedding
From the moment I selected this venue to host my wedding, the entire planning process was made extremely seamless by George. I LOVED planning the wedding with George - which is not something all brides experience - and we did this even without meeting!!! The fact that this all took place whilst I was in front of my computer Australia is a credit to George. We communicated over emails and Skype - it is because of how good George is that he can make such an amazing wedding happen even when he hasn't met the couple face to face. Apart from the breath-taking venue, George is able to add so much value in the planning process and tailoring the wedding for the individual. George is able to address any queries/concerns/ideas that you have, and provide his opinion on each which I really appreciated. From me changing my mind over what month to hold the wedding, to the small details on bonbonerrie and table dressings, I never had any doubts during the planning process, being able to feel excited about my upcoming wedding rather than stressed is something I am so thankful for.

All of this planning and attention to detail made the much anticipated wedding day the most memorable and treasured experience for not just myself and my husband, but for all of our friends and family who travelled to this stunning location. The ceremony was held with the picturesque backdrop of the tea fields - there is nothing that can describe the beauty and serenity of this view. We incorporated a few local Buddhist traditions into the ceremony that were organised by George. The Kandayan drummers and there acrobatics lead the bridal party down the aisle and were loved by the guests! The celebrant Henri Tatham was recommended by George - her warmth, genuineness and exuberant personality was embraced by the guests, many of whom have expressed to me how amazing she was. Making our way to the dinner marquee I was blown away at how fabulous this looked with the flowers, lights and the table settings. George was able to incorporate the colours and look and feel that I was after to create something that was personalised, contemporary and visually stunning. His keen eye and attention to detail meant he even arranged the spray painting of 80 weaved platters to ensure that they fitted perfectly with décor. This really is above and beyond what level of care is usually given to a wedding reception. The additional activities that followed the formalities included a Fire Eating Display, Fireworks and Wishing lanterns - all of which I would strongly recommend to those holding their wedding at KK. Our guests were so thrilled to witness and take part in these things that they would never get to experience at weddings back home in Australia.

I need to highlight the food separately as this really deserves a review in its own right. From the seafood barbeque we held as our wedding rehearsal dinner, the delectable canapés after the ceremony to the formal wedding menu - it was all faultless. Visually, all the food was presented to the highest standard, and tasted unbelievable. I have had so much feedback from guests in relation to how good the food was at the event as they were blown away by it - the most talked about item being our wedding dessert - a banana tarte tartine. People are still talking about this! The day following the wedding we held a thankyou lunch of a Sri Lankan buffet at KK, again arranged by George and the team. The food station was actually constructed by hand in the morning of the event using coconut palm leaves - so much care went into this. The food itself was stunning - an array of delicious curries (my favourite the tuna), as well as a roti cart and hopper station that created some theatre for the guests aswell as providing the dish of the day - banana and nutella roti! The food was so good on this day I keep thinking back and wishing I ate more!!!

I could go on and on more about how impressed I was with every aspect of KK, there really is so much to say and to be thankful for. Seeing the look on my guests faces the entire time we were at KK is something I will never forget and it is George and the team that made this so. Whatever wedding you desire, KK and Sri Lanka is the place. There is nothing that can top it - for you as the couple, and for your guests.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing, each with their own unique style. The Dubu suite is amazing for honeymoo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nicki B
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This unique place is truly breathtaking. Designed with a perfect eye for detail. All the rooms are completely different from each other, which could give you new experiences time after time. While staying in the Tamarind, we saw monkeys, peacocks, eagles and many other birds in the trees in front of our balcony terrace above a tea estate. The rooms are spacious and very private, pure calmness, and the beds are extremely comfortable. The staff is very friendly and the food is fine and delicious. We would go there again for sure!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank aflora87
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at the Kahanda Kanda in January and loved it! The villas are beautiful, and we spent a memorable rainy evening playing Scrabble and enjoying fabulous cocktails in the main living room. We can't say enough about the hospitality there - I wish we could have stayed much longer! But, since we got engaged there, I'm sure we'll visit for our anniversary someday! Thanks for an amazing visit!

Room Tip: Loved the Mango Suite!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Angulugaha
The Fortress Resort & Spa
#6 of 33 in Unawatuna
Jetwing Lighthouse
Jetwing Lighthouse
#3 of 25 in Galle

Been to Kahanda Kanda? Share your experiences!