“Fantastic - our 3rd visit”
Review of Red Lion

and 1 more site!
Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 3 Stretham B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Ths hotel is great if you want to visit Ely or Cambridge. This is our 3rd visit and the service, room and food are always to a high standard. We have stayed in the rooms in the annexe and in the main building, they are clean and well decorated. The food is lovely, there is plenty of it and it is reasonably priced. The staff are always very polite and the service they provide is first class. Will be staying again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 25, 2010

Village location. Good parking. Our twin room [No.12] was certainly adequate. The staff were all cheerful and helpful. We were pleased by the peace and quiet staying in the rear annexe! It was good value for money at £40 prpn.

There was a hair dryer, kettle, cups, coffee, tea and biscuits along with TV/DVD in the room. Shame about the rusty rails and fittings in the shower room, and the worst mattress I'VE ever slept on, although my friends was OK. Both beds had loose headboards which had to be wedged with a cushion to stop them banging everytime you moved.

Full english breakfast served at £7was good value. Dinner was average, but definitely acceptable.

If you have a tomtom, just put in Stretham, because the postcode will take you to Ely! I think its a TomTom fault.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank rgk69
Reviewed September 18, 2010

I had an appointment in Cambridge and as our usual accommodation was full we had to look further afield! We were delighted with our stay at the Red Lion. We had a quiet room on the upper floor in the garden annexe. The room was of a good size., clean ,and the beds comfortable. The bathroom had a shower and wash basin and the usual toiletries were provided. There was also a kettle and cups etc. in the room. Breakfast was plentiful as were the meals ( which were reasonably priced) in the restaurant. The staff were cheerful and helpful. We were pleasantly surprised by the peacre and quiet we encountered! It was excellent vcalue for money.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TrishYorkUK
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stayed Friday/Saturday nights. Great villiage location. Good parking. Our room [10] was more than adequate. Breakfast served by The Boss James 10/10.All for £30 per night and £8 for full and I mean full english breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GardenCityToptec
Reviewed August 2, 2010

This was the 2 time we stayed at the Red Lion , the first stay was very pleasant, however, this last trip was dreadful :- Delayed check-in, filthy and very poorly maintained shower room and undoubtedly the very worst matress I've ever tried to sleep on

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delford
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband uses a wheelchair, so I phoned to make the booking, asking my usual questions, "Do you have a wheelchair accessible room" and "Is the building wheelchair friendly, IE are there any steps anywhere?" and was told yes we could book an accessible room and no, there were no steps, if we drove onto the car park, the access is all ramped, etc. I therefore booked for Saturday 3rd July & then made arrangements for seeing family in the area.

On arrival, I left my husband in the car while I went to check in and as the man started to lead me to the room, we went down 2 steps, followed by a further 2 steps. I therefore said, "I presume there's another access to the room, for the wheelchair", to which I was told by the very hostile and unaccommodating man, "No, you should have told us you had a wheelchair!" Upon assuring him that I had, his reply was, "Well you didn't speak to me!" I knew I hadn't spoken him, because it was a female I spoke to, but that's irrelevant! He then curtly told me that they only have 1 wheelchair accessible room and that it gets booked up very early on, so therefore they could not be of assistance to me!

This then resulted in a frantic search for suitable accommodation in the area, which we had to travel over an hour to get to. So thanks very much Red Lion for ruining our night away!

WARNING: Don't making a booking at the Red Lion if you use a wheelchair!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I stayed here on business on one of the hottest nights of the summer so far, and was put in a room at the front of the pub above the bar. In itself, this would have been fine, as the noise from the pub was over by 11.30 pm. However, I was also woken a few hours later by people walking around quite noisily inside the pub and then woken again at 4.30 am by a delivery to the newsagents across the road. After that, sleep was a distant memory, as vehicles began pulling up outside the newsagents, drivers often leaving their engines running as they popped in for their paper. My colleague slept in a room nearer the back of the pub and had a much more peaceful night.

The lukewarm reception from a miserable barmaid/landlady didn't really enhance my overall impression. Dinner was average - I ordered fish and chips on the basis that it's not the sort of food a pub could get wrong. Unfortunately the fish was extremely greasy and looked like it was battered a couple of weeks ago. There was also a very strong smell of stale chip fat in the hallway outside the kitchen, on the way to the toilets and upstairs to the rooms - rather offputting.

One redeeming feature, it must be said, is the chap who cooked and served our breakfast the next morning. Not only was he friendly and polite, he cooked a damn fine full English.

The pub has been tastefully redecorated and the room I stayed in was extremely spacious. But given the issues described, particularly with getting a decent night's sleep, I'd be hard pressed to recommend this to anyone else.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stretham
Travelodge Ely
#1 of 1 in Little Downham
The Three Pickerels
The Three Pickerels
#10 of 25 in Ely

Been to Red Lion? Share your experiences!