“Bundles of charm”

The Mill House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 8 Buckie B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed one night B&B. Service excellent with friendly staff. Room good size and clean. Breakfast tasty - would have stayed for lunch if had the time. A delightful place, will return.
One fault: wife was on crutches and thought disabled access could be better. Would imagine wheelchairs would struggle

• Stayed: July 2013
millhousetynet, Owner at The Mill House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I completely understand your comment on the disabled access at the hotel, as the building is an old mill we are limited to what we can do, however we have recently installed a new ramp which provides improved access to our bedrooms for wheelchairs. Should you wish to dine with us in the future we can also offer alternative dining in our mill dining room which has easy access for wheelchairs.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Passed the Mill House many times and promised to visit. At last I got there for lunch. A pleasant and friendly greeting from the staff, always starts the visit off well. The menu is varied and would meet most needs, we had the "Salad of the day" Salmon and Prawns with a good veriety of potato salad, coldslaw, green salad and a portion of chips. I will be back with my friends and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Great to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the mill house for lunch, we look forward to you returning again in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write an honest review.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Mill Hotel for one week along with some angling friends.
We found Karen and her staff to be the friendliest and most helpful of any hotel we have ever stayed in. They could not do enough to ensure that our stay was an enjoyable one. We ate in the restaurant every evening and could not find fault with either the quality of the meals or the size of the portions
Our room was bright, airy and spotlessly clean with crisp white bed linen and the bathroom was also spotlessly clean and had complimentary toiletries.
If we had to pick a down side, we would say that the bar drinks are a bit overpriced for the star rating of the hotel. This has a psychological effect on ones spending at the bar although we thought the wine list was reasonably priced. Perhaps if the drinks were priced slightly cheaper more money would be spent on them,
Overall an excellent place to stay and dine.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marguerita M
Reviewed May 30, 2013

As the only Sassenach in the "clan" gathering I must say the surroundings, atmosphere and retention of the charm of such an old building went a long way to an excellent evening. The food was most wholesome, very tasty and good portions, all at reasonable prices.

The staff were most accommodating, helpful and the service could not be faulted. Although the time from ordering to on the table was protracted the wait was worthwhile but no doubt the majority of the food is home made as opposed to home cooked; no fast food here, thank goodness. The food was presented on the table all together, was piping hot and all the extras were to hand without asking.

Well done and thanks for making the evening most memorable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I would only describe the food the Mill serves up as mediocre. Its not bad or good just very very average. We arrived for our meal and did not receive any sort of welcome or smile from the youngsters and the whole place felt completely soulless,no atmosphere or music.
We were seated upstairs where there is even less atmosphere. The food arrived promptly but no attention had been given to presentation on the plate and it all looked rather clumsy. For the price we paid I feel it should be of better quality and my partner wanted to drop in past the chippie on the way home,he was still hungry. Don't think we will return in a hurry. I ordered the fish and chips and I could honestly say the chip van in the local square serves better food.Must do better.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Visited the Mill last Sunday to try out its Carvery, which runs from 12 till 7 pm. As this place is owned by the same people who run the excellant 1629 Restaurant in Lossie our expectations were high. We found the service to be very good, the staff though young were quick and efficient. Prices were also very reasonable for the venue and food on offer. Now for the only bad point. After table service for our starter, you make your way to the serving point where the chef slices up the meat on offer. We had a choice of Roast Beef, Turkey, Roast Lamb, or Stuffed Pork. all looked and tasted delicious, however the trimming when we got there consisted of roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, carrots/parsnips, turnip, cabbage, stuffing yorkshie pudding and gravy which looked dried up and well past its best. We salvaged what we could and were presently surprised that the food though looking tired and unappetising was actualy very tasty. I should mention we visited at 3pm, right in middle of their day so I would reccommend being there about 12 ish or at night after 5 when I suppose the trimmings would be freshly made. Like I said so nearly a five.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the Mill House when visiting family in nearby Fochabers.We booked through Late Rooms. I think the cost of £84 for room only a bit expensive. We had dinner there on one evening with family and it was superb though expensive. The reastaurant was very busy, which is always a good sign.My daughter had reccommended the Early Bird menu but it was not available.We had breakfast for £10 each on one morning and that was OK but then joined family at nearby Christie's Garden Centre the second day for a good breakfast there. That Centre has a good all day restaurant. Though advertised as Buckie, the Mill House is near Fochabers.
The young man who welcomed us, served dinner and breakfast could not have been more courteous. Sadly I do not recall his name.
We will be back in the area again because of family connections and will probably stay there again but hope there is a better offer. Our price of room and breakfast was £104-too much.Our cold tap did not function and was not fixed,during our stay so we were brushing teeth in the bath!! I had difficulty the first morning getting the shower going.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckie
8 mi away
#6 of 8 in Buckie
Rosemount Hotel
Rosemount Hotel
#2 of 8 in Buckie

Been to The Mill House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!