Parador Villas Sotomayor
$119
$187
Parador Oasis(San German)
  • Pool
All reviewshorseback ridinghammock hangingpeace and quietcoffee makersan juan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 5, 2010

It seems like almost everyone who has reviewed this parador either loved it or hated it. I can say that we enjoyed it and I will never forget the experience. The villas have definitely been updated/renovated since some of the reviewers posted their comments. We were pleasantly surprised by how up-to-date the appliances and furniture were in our room.

This is a place to go for an authentic Puerto Rican experience, not a 5-star one. We were the only non-Puerto Ricans there when we stayed, and we found that a plus overall. However, since we were traveling with a 2-year-old, the booming music late at night from nearby villas was not a highlight! Fortunately, our daughter was able to sleep without really hearing it and the partyers next door decided to take their celebration elsewhere. . . Also, the food at the restaurant is nothing special, so we only ate there once.

Pluses -- great staff who were extremely helpful, wireless internet access, BEAUTIFUL mountain scenery, nice pools for big and little people, farm animals to see, etc.

We did have a horrible problem with ants in our villa, which really sort of ruined the experience for us, in the end. We couldn't leave ANY kind of food whatsoever on the kitchen counter or dining table without an armyt of ants coming for it within several minutes. So I'd characterize the rooms as glorified cabins more than anything else, and if you have that mentality, you'll be fine.

The Adjuntas area is breathtakingly beautiful, but be warned that it takes a LONG time to get almost anywhere (except for Ponce and central Adjuntas) from the parador due to winding roads along cliffs where you have to drive about 20 miles per hour (while the locals whiz past you at frightening speeds). The Camuy Caves, for instance, are probably close to 1.5 hours away because of this--even though you might look at a map (or talk to a local) and think it's just 45 minutes away.

Having said all of that, I'm SO glad that we got away from San Juan for a few days to experience this side of Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Adventurous_Mamacita
Reviewed August 18, 2009

The website for this Place is http://www.paradorvillassotomayor.com/

This is a letter I wrote to the manager after coming back from the horse ride. Please read: VERY IMPORTANT:

Dear Manager,

The reason for this email is to express a concern and let you know about a complaint I have after using your facility. We did not stay in the apartments but I did go to ride the horses. My concern is that after riding the horse in the trail we went in (30minutes) I am glad I made the decision not to allow my 6 year old child ,who has never had experience on a horse, ride on one of yours in that trail. The terrain was fit for only grown ups or children that have had some experience with horses before. The horses were tired and disobedient at times. We ask the leader when was the last time they got fed and he said 9am in the morning and it was already past 5pm. The horses were stopping every chance they got to eat. The trail was rough. This is fun for someone that knows what they are doing with a horse, it would have been tragic for my 6 year old child. Especially when the horses go up the hill and need to gather up speed. I had to hold on really tight or else I would have fell. My proposal to this is to warn people before they make a decision to ride the horses and give the people some kind of training as far as what to say and how to turn the horse since after you pay, no matter if you change your mind, you do not get a refund. Which brings me to my complaint.
I paid for my 12 year old daughter to ride a horse thinking it would be fine since she is my height and a lot more coordinated than my 6 year old. Well instead of tying all the horses up and allowing every one to climb on, they unleashed every horse as people were getting on. This caused the first person to try to control the horse until everyone got on. My daughter got on last and the horse was turned around the wrong way. Not only that it was walking the opposite way our and the leader's horse was turning frightening my daughter. I was trying to tell her how to turn and in the meantime my father tried to help her and my horse stepped on him in the process. I told the leader over and over to just let her down she was afraid, but instead the leader proceeded to say "I will hold the leash of her horse so she will feel better". I decided she was too scared so again I told them again to please get her off the horse. Finally they got her off and I was happy she did because as beautiful as it was for me (the trail) it would have been terrifying for her and anyone who never had experience on a horse. I never got my money back even though she never rode. This policy is wrong and people should be pre-warn before being charged for the ride.
In the near future I could see a lot of lawsuits being filled against Villa Sotomayor if the policies and procedures do not change. I would not like for this to happen and will not like anyone ridding a horse being hurt so I would pray that you would consider my suggestions. Thanks for your time.

Attachments:

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank tlaws1
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We picked this hotel based on a Paradores flyer I received from a travel agent. The hotel did not live up to the flyer one bit. The area it is in is absolutely spectacular, however there is little to do. There are almost no restaurants, no hiking trails or anything else. The room was horrible & uncomfortable. We "upgraded" , however it was no upgrade. The rooms were small. We had no hot water, a tiny TV with a few Spanish speaking channels & even less English speaking ones. We tried to sleep their one night & quickly checked out the next day & found another hotel in Ponce. I'm writing this review a couple years later after just having a fabulous trip to Puerto Rico (unlike this one). The only thing this hotel might be good for are large families or reunions, absolutely horrible for 2 people. If you're staying in Puerto Rico, I recommend staying in the San Juan area, & then going to other areas of the island during the day. Even in Ponce we had a very hard time finding nice restaurants to eat at.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My family and I visited this August from the 21 to the 27th 2008 and we had a very lovely time. The villa was very clean and the services that were provided were excellent. The grounds are well kept and my children loved every minute of it.

I would go back and I intend to.

Sandra Tapia
Brooklyn, N.Y. :)

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed June 19, 2007

I went to villa sotomayor on my 2nd anniversary, what a mess...First of all, the room is so ugly, dirty, small, the toilet was damaged, the microwave too, if you get a hot bath, then yo dont have air conditioner, the floor was dirty, the bed had a hole in the middle, the bed´s sheets were dirty and had burn marks from cigarettes, well a nightmare...the restaurant, ah the restaurant, the prices are very very high, the food is baaaaaad, if you asked for carne frita (fried pork) then you get grasa frita (fried fat), if you asked for french fries, then you get burn fries, very tiny portions of everything, the desserts were as small as my middle finger and for the end when i was doing my check out (finally), they want me to pay tips for the great service, jaja what do you think i do????
P.D. I had visited about 15 paradores in Puerto Rico and this is the one and only that i have not recommend, the others are sooo excellent...

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DidyPuertoRico