“Very Cosy Bar”
Review of The Pointer

The Pointer
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pointer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Brill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Pointer is a country pub, restaurant farm and butchers that serves fantastic modern British Food. Situated at the centre of the village of Brill in Buckinghamshire, we are open Tuesday to Sunday, serving lunch and dinner from Tuesday through to Sunday afternoons. The butchers where you can buy our meat and charcuterie and produce from local artisan producers, is open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons and Saturday morning until 2pm. At the pub, we cook what's best on the day, using the seasonal produce we either grow ourselves in our kitchen garden or purchase from local artisan producers. Much of our meat comes from our own livestock herds and neighbouring farms, and if from further afield, from farmers who believe in excellent standards of animal husbandry. We’re easily accessible, have plenty of parking and beautiful gardens leading out to some lovely walks.You’ll find us by the village green, next to All Saints Church. Families and children are very welcome. In Spring 2017 we'll be adding four rooms for overnight stays too.
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,212 helpful votes
“Very Cosy Bar”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Mrs FB2000 and I called into the Pointer for a drink when recently passing through Brill early in the evening. Upon entering the pub I immediately notice a real log fire, a bright modern bar area and an elegantly laid out small dining area. After being served we then sat around the corner in some very comfortable chairs by another fire. Although only intending to stay for just one drink we were so comfortable we stayed for a couple more.

As I noticed there was a local brew on tap named after the pub I gave it a try. However, I am not a really a real ale drinker and found The Pointer Ale to taste like soap just like all the other real ales I‘ve tasted ! Instead I went back to the Budvar.

Exploring the pub we found a second restaurant area at the back, with the kitchen area in open view, and outside, a very smart smoking area with long benches & overhead heaters which I can imagine could be very popular with non-smokers on summer evenings. The toilets were clean and well looked after.

Although we had no intention of eating that evening we asked to look at the menu. We were told it changes daily depending on the availability of the locally sourced produce. There wasn’t anything on this menu with a WOW factor to make me feel I definitely would want to go out of my way to come back and try - it all seemed to be traditional solid fayre eg Sirloin steak, Lamb Cutlets, Lemon Sole, Cod etc. However, I’m in no doubt that it is all very good and we wouldn’t hesitate to eat here the next time we are passing by.

Overall though, it was a very cosy evening.

2 Thank fatbear2000

Bicester
“Brill meal at The Pointer, Brill”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

As soon as you walk into The Pointer you feel relaxed. The two roaring fires in the bar make you feel at home. They do champagne by the glass, which is always a winner with me. We sat in the bar for our food - good sized tables. The food was delicious, there were four of us, and we all really enjoyed everything we ate. The menu was quite small, but I think this is because they like to source their food from local places as much as they can. I had the confit of duck, and it just fell off the bone, YUM!! Last weekend we visited the butchers shop, (which is in a small shop behind the pub), the meat was great, bread and eggs too.

2 Thank Jan H
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Really rather good even it is a Dog!”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I didn't expect to spend ten minutes finding somewhere to park in the quiet village of Brill, but those who had arrived before us had mastered the art of filling sufficient space for seven large cars with four small ones! or was this a conspiracy by a NIMBY parish council? Entering The Pointer it is immediately warm, welcoming and cosy or would have been if there had been someone to welcome us. This is the problem that pubs which think that they are restaurants, or vice versa, seem to face. Having stood expectantly in the open space 'twixt door, bar and a wecoming fire and sofa for a minute or two, the barman only made eye contact when I tentatively approached the bar to register our arrival for our 8.00pm reservation. A friendly waitress soon had us seated, menus presented and I was supping from a fine glass of bitter from the Tring Brewery Company.

We made our choices, ordered and were shortly shown to our table in the restaurant some way to the rear of the premises past the kitchen, deliberately designed to be seen. The restaurant, although contemporary and tasteful, seemed rather souless compared with the pub part of the restaurant. Starters were disappointing! My pork rillette was closer in texture to spam and quite bland to taste and lacked the coarseness and fat of the real thing. The blini on which my wife's smoked salmon was served was approaching the size and consistancy of an under cooked one inch thick pancake. It was left on the side of the plate!

In redemption,the main courses and desserts were superb. My brisket of beef was substantial, succulent,tender and beautifully cooked in a rich gravy with root vegetables. My wife had a generous portion of cod served on mash with crushed peas which she thought excellent. Her pudding of creme brullee was awarded the same verdict whilst my white chocolate 'canacan' was wickedly delicious and I am sure undid much of the good gained in my recent bout of 'sensible eating'. A delious sauvignon blanc and a glass of a decent merlot for me accompanied the food.

Around £100 including service seemed a fair enough price for a meal which was, starters apart, really rather good. A slicker welcoming process and starters of a quality to compare with the rest of the meal would certainly ensure that The Pointer would be real competition to some of the very good established restaurants on the general locale!

2 Thank KDC-Leo
Waddesdon, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Having read the reviews we decided to try it as a pub lunch before booking the restaurant. We arrived at 12.30 Friday lunchtime, staff were very attentive when we arrived and keen to take our order. Over 30 mins it became clear the restaurant was fully booked and people were being told they would need wait 30 mins for a table. Once we ordered, service slowed and whilst friendly they were less interested. Food took some time, we tried the Pork and apple Sandwich ( it was tired and barely warm- suspect leftovers from previous sittings), also the Welsh Rarebit which was very average. It is effectively an attempt at a modern Gastro Pub. We are local but there are better options and we will not try again.

Aylesbury
“What a great improvement”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We just took a chance and turned up on a Tuesday evening and it was first class. It was warm friendly and the food was fantastic and at a very reasonable price. We had three courses, a couple of glasses of wine and a beer, with bread and butter covers all for around £30 each. No complaints on the quality but for the first time in a long time the quantity was so much I had to leave half my beer - now that is a first. Highly recommend a vist and parents in law did the Wednesday pensioners special and had a meal for 4 with a drink for something silly like £30. I hope it is a succes and we will visit again. Web site did not have prices on the menu but don't let that put you off it is very reasonable.