“outstanding hospitality”

Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Embleton
Reviewed November 1, 2009

My partner and I were caught in severely bad weather whilst out walking. We could go no further and pitched up at this hotel at 11am on a Sunday to ask if we could shelter there whilst waiting for a taxi. We were drenched through to the skin, cold and dripping everywhere. We didn't expect the welcome we got:
The staff went beyond the call of duty to ensure we were taken care of - warm towels were provided to dry our hair, a hairdrier was offered, a fire was lit and hot coffee arrived at the speed of light. Nothing was too much trouble. We weren't guests, we looked a mess and the staff had no obligation to us. However, their kindness and hospitality was truly outstanding. I cannot thank them enough.
By the way - I had a look in the public rooms and thought they were very warm, cosy and well-furnished. Next time we're walking in this area, we will definitely stay over at this lovely little hotel.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 30, 2009

nice clean unpretentious hotel with good food (not fine dining) lovely staff who give you a nice warm welcome. Smashing breakfast. Jan is a lovely lady! The cottages are HUGE and well appointed if you are a family.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2009

My husband & I and 2 friends shared Police Cottage No1. Great facilities downstairs, modern lounge, new kitchen (even a dishwasher) dining & amenities(even a botle of wine & fizz in the fridge). Upstairs 2 very comfortable ensuites.
Fabulous coastline with beutiful fine sandy beaches and coves, and lots of castles. Excellent location for touring whole of Northumberland.
Very good service and food although the kippers for breakfast would do for three people!
Staff very friendly & helpful, returned a jumper my husband had left in the room,
Will definitely go back there.
Irene Clarke

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed in Stable cottage across the road from the hotel for two nights. The accommodation was ideal for a couple, being comfortable and clean. The staff were both helpful and friendly. we had a wonderful short break in a fantastic location and would recommend to our friends.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed overnight in a cottage property across the road from the hotel which was comfortable and well decorated.

After a two week gastronomic tour of the Lakes and Scotland we were hugely disappointed at the poor quality food served here. The dining room has no atmosphere and ambience and resembles a motorway cafe. Starters of langoustine - full of sand - oysters worried about freshness. Crab salad served with cold waxy rice and chewy boiled egg. Dried chicken swimming in bovril - described as roast chicken rolled in sage and onion...mmmmm. We were very disappointed and surprised that staff were not interested in our feedback and the owners were seeking to argue the merits of inferior food they served as we were paying.

Its unfortunate as the hotel is located only a short ten minute from the beach. The beach is beautiful and peaceful and was drenched in sunshine when we visited.

The hotel did not live up to expectations and we wont be returning.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
EmbletonHotelier, owner at Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2009

I strongly dispute this review. To say that our restaurant resembles a motorway cafe is untrue, unfair and extremely misleading to your users.
We have never claimed to be a gastronomic centre of excellence or to offer "fine dining" -we are a 2 star hotel serving good quality, fresh, local food that is cooked simply, priced reasonably and served with a smile.
I cannot understand why anyone embarking on a gastronomic tour of northern england would think that our restaurant was going to provide them with a fine dining experience - surely they would have been better off choosing an establishment with AA rosettes or Michelin stars. It is deeply unfair of this guest to have judged us on these terms, especially when we have never claimed to be anything more than we are.
As for the meal, I can say with complete confidence that the langoustines, oysters and dressed crab were of the highest quality and were all fresh that day -I collected them myself from our fishmonger, Swallow Fish (who is listed by Rick Stein as one of the best in our area).
I personally order all our foodstuffs and have never, ever bought Bovril for my chefs and frequently get positive feed-back from customers about our free-range chicken and free-range eggs.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

We booked well in advance and upgraded the room. I hate to think what the standard rooms were like as ours was awfull. There was a extractor fan from the kitchen just below our room the noise was really bad and it was going from 8.00 am until 11.00pm, the room was really hot despite having the window open all day and night, it cooled down around 3.00am. I complained about this and was told they were aware of this and were going to do something about it later when the roof had been fixed. I said I had paid extra for an upgrade surely this was wrong to have this. They knocked the upgrade charge off the bill. We booked a dinner on the first night which coast an extra £20.00 each, we were served our main dish with the veg in a seperate dish, it consisted of three pototoes two pieces of cauliflower and some green beans, this was for two people. The service was slow and were told they were sorry but they were busy in the restaurant. When I entered the lounge I thought I had gone into a old peoples home with the furniture, and everything smelt old.We paid over £100 per night for this, I expected more.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank golferoo
EmbletonHotelier, owner at Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2009

Before I address the points that this guest has made, I must stress that a vast majority of our guests leave happy and satisfied and a large proportion visit us again. Unfortunately we can not fix problems that we are not aware of at the time.
We are very aware that one of our extractor fans has been a cause for complaint and I can assure guests that we are taking every step possible to solve this problem as soon as possible. However, this fan absolutely never runs continuously from 8am-11pm and I might suggest that the guest's room was warm well into the night because he was staying with us in the middle of Summer.
With regards to the vegetable portion size, we are always very happy to give guests more food if they request it - it is never a problem. Had the guest actually brought his dissatisfaction to out attention at the time we could have dealt with it immediately - unfortunately he did not. We have as many people saying there was too much food as too little - so our impression is that our portion sizes are about right.
As for the waiting time for food, I must stress that all our food is cooked fresh to order and that there can be a slight delay , especially in the middle of the Summer holidays (this year I have rarely known a guest wait more than 20 minutes for their food, even on our busiest nights).
As for our lounge, the chairs are 4 years old and the carpet is less than 1 year old - neither smell old and all our public rooms are thoroughly cleaned every day.

Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights with my husband and in-laws. We both had superior rooms, ours had a downstairs lounge with a newly fitted bathroom, which was nice. The room was very clean, although downstairs did smell a bit musty. The carpet in our room though could have been hovered while we were there. We were on diner and B&B and the food was of a good quality. The waitress were very friendly and polite. The hotel is in an ideal position to visit all the local attractions and the beach only ten minute walk away. The local golf course was good too. The only negative really was the price of the room, we have stayed in better in the Lakes and the Dales for £80 per night, this being a little pricey at £106. We would recommend this hotel for a short break.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Embleton
Doxford Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eshott
Warkworth House Hotel
Warkworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Warkworth

Been to Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!