“Beautiful hotel, but unacceptable experience”

Burnham Beeches Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Burnham
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, but unacceptable experience”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights (Tuesday and Wednesday 30 & 31 October) as I am relocating to the area. We had a fantastic deal on the hotel and were looking forward to using the pool and jacuzzi but were told on arrival that due to a refit the pool was out of order!

We were allocated a gorgeous room (214) up a very steep narrow stair case with thread bare carpets. The room looked lovely however the windows were single glazed and would rattle with each movement (solved by jamming in some cardboard). There just as we were getting ready for bed realised just how cold the room was and the heating was not on - I checked all three rads and the towel rail in the bathroom they were turned on but no heat. There was a small fan heater in the room and we used this to take the chill off the room but you cannot leave that run all night. I mentioned this to reception and they offered to move our room but at 11pm all we wanted to do was sleep.

We got up had the most fantastic breakfast (it really was) then on my way out I asked reception if they could look into the heating problem. I was assured that it would be done. HOWEVER it was NOT and another very cold night. I mentioned this to the night staff and again they did offer another room but again it was 11 pm.

In the morning the duty manager was very apologetic and was horrified to learn of our experience and assured me that as the HR Officer he would address the problem.

To add insult to injury they only gave us a reduction of £20 off our bill.....

So to recap - lovely hotel, lovely staff, superb breakfast - but no pool and a very cold room at the end of October - as they say the choice is yours

Room Tip: Avoid 214 at all cost - unless like us you stay at halloween
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bekto, General Manager at Burnham Beeches Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
Further to the review that you placed on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at Burnham Beeches Hotel, I would like to offer you the following response.
Firstly, I would like to Thank you the time you have taken to give me your feedback as I truly value all feedback good or bad as it allows us to further enhance both the product and service offered at the hotel.
I fully appreciate your comments about the room being cold, indeed we had an issue regarding the heating in some of the rooms (Precisely 5 rooms).Once we found out about the issue, we offered our guests 2 options, first option was to offer a room change and second was the portable heaters if the guest did not wish to move room. I understand that you were offered both options and chose the latter; however the situation with heating should have been effectively communicate to you. I can assure you that we have fixed this issue and all the rooms which were affected are now fully operational.
In terms of leisure facilities, unfortunately due to the Health and Safety reasons we had to carry out necessary work although it was not planned maintenance.
I would like offer you my sincere apologies regarding your unfortunate experience during your stay.
I would like to invite you back to the hotel complementary one night stay as a gesture of goodwill and subject to availability valid until 30th April 2013.To arrange this , please do get in touch with me by calling the hotel telephone number.I look forward to welcoming you back to Burnham Beeches Hotel.
Yours truly,
Bekir Togus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
St. Osyth, Essex
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Nice hotel, room I was in had been recently refurbished room, comfy bed, i had a good night sleep. only commit is that i couldn't open curtains as my room was overlooked by rooms on the other side of the hotel. Staff were very helpful. Food good

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lincoln
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I have visited this hotel on several occaisons and this time we were celebrating our Golden Wedding anniversary and the staff and the service was fantastic very nice room overlooking the gardens Decor very good nice bathroom could not fault.. and the Food in the resturaunt was of a high Quality presentation perfectly done all in all a perfect 3 days well done +++++

Room Tip: Ro0oms on the west side away from wedding parties
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here for a two day business conference. Check-in very efficient and they had all our details already completed so were able to go straight to our rooms. My room faced the rear, very quiet, clean and bed comfortable. We had dinner in a private room and food was well cooked, but choice very limited. Friendly welcome in the bar and staff willing to serve us late drinks. Breakfast the usual buffet style and consequently eggs were not at their best. Lunch was back in the restaurant between sessions. Made a nice change from the usual open sandwiches you find at these events but was let down by the lack of vegetables. They ran out before we had all been served and by the time the extra portions arrived we had finished eating the main course.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PandS_L0ND0N
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I arrived quite late and the roads to the hotel are dark and windy, so suggest arriving early if possible. Lovely venue and Enjoyed my stay. The floors are quite creaky in the rooms. Had dinner in the bar and the chef very kindly made a special dish for me, very accommodating.

• Stayed October 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

we had our wedding reception here on the 29th september 2012
from start to finish the staff was fantastic , lucky for us the sun was shining so when we arrived from the church we had our drinks reception out on the lawn area , they also put out a giant jenga and crouguet for the kids which was a lovely suprise . we left instructions on how we wanted the room layed out and they did this to prefection. we had a 3 course wedding breakfast starter: was either melon or garlic mushrooms, main: roast chicken or beef, dessert: brandy snap basket or cheescake, tea and coffee which was outstanding all the guests commeted on how good the food was and when they placed the plates down with the silver lids on they all lifted them at the same time ( little things like this your guests will remember )
bridal suite: we chose the traditional one with the four poster bed its just as it is in the photos (lovely)and the bed is all decorated with petals and the towels made into swans. theres a massive lounge area with a big dining table sofas and tv , bathroom is spacious with both a bath with shower
we had a special rate for all our guests for the night of the wedding and all of them were expressing how nice the rooms are and how clean they was, both sets of our parents were upgraded to an excective room
you get to use all the facilitys which went down well with the kids as they were all in the pool straight after breakfast
we stayed another night at the hotel and had lunch and dinner there, once again fantastic service and the food is fantastic
a big thankyou to kate and all the staff at burnham beeches for making our day special and unforgetable

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have recently stayed here for my brothers wedding reception. I cannot fault the food or the service it was excellent. the family room could have been a bit bigger but was very comfortable and had air conditioning and we all had a great nights sleep My sons had a great time in the swimming pool
Breakfast was very good my families only complaint was the horrible runny scrambled egg and the prices at the bar!!

Room Tip: if going to a wedding make sure you have lots of cash drinks are expensive!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnham
Grovefield House
#2 of 2 in Taplow
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Burnham Beeches Hotel? Share your experiences!