Crab & Boar
    Queens Hotel(Newbury)
    Average 3/5
    • Restaurant
    Good 3.5/5
    All reviewshot tubcrabboaroystersprivate gardenromantic nightbirthday treatgastro pubpuddingbreakfast in bedfour poster bedroad noiselovely mealfull englishsunday lunchrelaxing stayan overnight stay
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've been to The Crab dozens of times and on only a few occasions has it been average; this was not one of those. The food is uniformly good. Very good in fact. The choice, whilst fish led, certainly provides for the pork, beef, and lamb lovers. And I'm sure chicken and duck also appear on the regularly changing menu. The wine list appears in a new format from a new supplier, so the wines are more common for someone like me who dines out frequently, but in general the choice is good, and the pricing is comfortable. Gone are the days of a 300+ choice though. Thank god. The service is professional and competent too. I thoroughly recommend this restaurant ! Pricing is circa £60 per head including drink.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
    Reviewed June 18, 2013

decided to pop in for a drink. outside looked very quirky and inviting. the inside looked nice too. we sat down and my partner went to the bar to get our drinks. the bar man took his order, said ok....then carried on doing his own thing! a few seconds later another barman came in and my partner had to reorder, while the first barman carried on like he didn't exist. cant say anything about the rooms or food, but i had the most expensive pineapple juice in history i think, at £5.90 for a large....over a pound more than my partners pint of beer! cant fathom that one. we were sitting drinking and i kept smelling wet dog, took me a while to work out where it was coming from, then realized it must have been the shells hanging in nets off the ceiling, the smell was quite strong and not pleasant. i know it was the shells as i have been in a room with seashells everywhere before and it does stink of wet dog. no atmosphere here at all, staff are unfriendly, i wouldn't want to stay there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
    1  Thank faedensmummy
    Reviewed June 18, 2013

Beautiful country setting minutes from the M4, outstanding food and breath taking rooms. I absolutely loved my stay here. We went on a package that included dinner, bed and breakfast which actually meant it was pretty good value on the whole.
    The hot tubs make staying at this hotel a real event. Be sure to arrive there at 4 to make the most of it and ask for a late check out...they don't charge.
    Service was perfect from start to finish. I ca't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
    Natasha H, Front Office Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Hello TeacherRachael,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments in relation to your stay. The staff and I were very pleased to read that you absolutely loved your stay here.

We look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future!

Many thanks,

Natasha

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Nice setting, nice bulding, prices are so expencive its like getting mugged. Large pineapple juice 6 pounds. Need I say any more. Will never return. Would not eat there unless I was rich and stupid. It is a nice location and building, but aa rip off.

• Stayed: June 2013
    Reviewed June 13, 2013

So I came across the crab online and thought mmm this looks too good to be true. Was very excited when I booked it. Turned up on a Thursday evenin coming straight from work...a long drive...traffic etc was greet with a lovely friendly welcoming from the reception team.

Check in was straightforward and quick. We were shown to our room Bird Island which was PERFECT!! I was so impressed. Lovely patio area, hot tub was lovely, beds are sooo comfy. No need to bring slippers as they are provided along with bath robes.

We were very very happy. Found back entrance very convenient if you want to go out or go to your car you can go via the patio back door instead of going back through the restaurant to reception.

The only downside I would say is The Bird room got very very hot at night which was quite uncomfortable at night as there is no AC in the room or windows to open.

Wifi is available but unfortunately couldn't get a steady connection.

All in all though we were very very pleased with our stay at the Crab and intend on returning very soon :)

• Stayed: June 2013
    1  Thank MA000

Hello MA000,

Thank you for such a lovely review of The Crab and the Bird Island room. We were all very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, from the service to the room itself!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back here again in the future!

Many thanks,