On the whole, another lovely meal. Sea bass with prawns main course particularly good (could have done with more saute potatoes); my wife requested a salad instead of the fondant potato with her tuna main course, yet what she actually got was a small garnish on the side of the plate.
Desserts were exceptional. We ordered an assiette of desserts, which was essentially a tasting plate of about 5 or 6 desserts, each and every one of them, exquisite. We also ordered the popular 'gold bar' with peanut butter ice cream, again, delicious.
Wine: the bottles of sancerre and then a NZ malbec, was as good as I have ever had.
The letdown for me were the oysters, which I always have as a starter and was looking forward to. They were the smallest and most disappointing I can remember eating, and they seemed to be lacking in flavour. Two of the 6 were the size of a 50p piece, I'm surprised they even made it to the pass, let alone be served. And rather than the usual platter with the oysters served on ice, they were on a plate with 2 shot glasses, one of which was a disappointing shallot vinegar, the other one I have no idea what it was, I couldn't tell by tasting it. Very disappointing, but not something I would have complained about when we were being treated by friends.
Still a lovely evening; great company, great food overall, lovely restaurant, great service, attentive staff etc. In spite of my disappointment with the oysters, it remains my (joint) restaurant of choice in the area, along with 'the halfway', at Kintbury.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of Berkshire countryside, The Crab & Boar is a stunning country pub with rooms offering award-winning British cuisine and 14 country-style bedrooms. Sink into one of our 14 stylish rooms and unwind in your own private corner of the Berkshire countryside. All bedrooms feature antique furnishing, luxury throws, Egyptian cotton linen, flat screen TVs, natural Bramley bath and body products and Tea and coffee making facilities. Some rooms have their own private hot tub. Dogs are more than welcome. The two AA Rosettes restaurant serves beautiful seafood and seasonal game in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our Head Chef Tom uses locally sourced and seasonal ingredients so you can expect that every plate on the Crab & Boar menu is as fresh as it can be and is expertly crafted with a passion for the local countryside. With an easy access to the M4 motoway, The Crab & Boar is located 25 minute drive away from historic Oxford, 16 minutes from Newbury Racecourse and 19 minutes from Highclere castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Crab & Boar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crab At Chieveley Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Chieveley
- Crab & Boar Chieveley, Berkshire