“Wedding anniversary”
Review of Crab & Boar

Crab & Boar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Wow, What a amazing wedding anniversary, my husband had arranged this for our 19th anniversary well it was amazing ! It was a surprise we had to be there at 3.30 to be greeted by a lovely lady we had afternoon tea it was fantastic! Then was shown to our room Bora Bora it was
Amazing , champagne chocolates ! Then to my surprise the curtains open onto a patio with a hot tub! The evening meal was fantastic we had the turbot with scampi tails 10/10 for the chefs !
Waitress /waiter ! The breakfast was fantastic to, not snobby felt really at home and totally spoiled
The room I loved it ! Lovely selection of coffee /tea mineral water . Big soft fluffy towels .Thankyou to you all and especially my husband x

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Natasha H, Front Office Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Hello Michelle536,

Thank you for your comments and it was lovely having you stay to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

We do aim to ensure that all of our guests feel at ease when they stay and are able to relax. I am glad we managed this for you.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our youngest son had a birthday in September, but as he lives in Dubai, we put off the celebrations here till he was home at Christmas. We booked for just after Christmas for my husband, myself, eldest son and his girlfriend and birthday boy with his fiance. We were there just for a meal, but Peter, whose birthday it was, has stayed over on several occasions when they have gone there for a celebrations and is always full of praise. We had a stonking meal, everyone had fish dishes apart from husband and myself as we noticed venison on the menu and went for that. Peter went for the full fish dish which was amazing. The wine was excellent, and in terms of the food and ambience, there were no complaints. I think the night we went they were having some staffing problems as we waited an age for everything, and we only spotted two waiters on the floor during the evening...certainly our waiter seemed to be chasing his tail! That didnt spoil the meal though, which was as always, a great success. It is expensive though...my husband sighed with relief when only two bottles of wine were consumed..!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Hello Carol D,

Thank you very much for your comments.

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed the meal for your sons 30th birthday! As with any establishment, we do sometimes have staffing issues, but if we managed to ensure that you had a good evening, that is our main goal.

We look forward to welcoming both you and your family here again.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

A real treat to find such beautiful fine food - the chef is excellent with vision - try the tuna steak - just watch it arrive! Te rooms are all individually decorated - mine was "Indian Plantation" with fantastic baths and large screen Tv and DvD - pick a room away from the road though and watch it as you leave! The exit is blind to oncoming traffic.

Room Tip: Away from the road
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Joe F, General Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear TimR

Many thanks for your feedback it is much appreciated.
I am glad you have enjoyed the room and our hospitality,in regards to the exit from our premises we are working with the council to see if we can make it better in any way,many thanks for your feedback on that as well.
I sincerely hope to see you back with us soon,

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

A weekend break booked to surprise me was frankly outstanding.
Easy to find (great for Newbury races) and greeted in a friendly and professional manner.
Our room was "raffles" and frankly had it been a raffle, this was a top prize. With an oriental them, amazing yet quirky furniture and stunning bed. It really was unique.
Clean, warm and all you would want with tea, coffee, robes and all utilities.
Food was an evening meal of three courses.... Where to start.... All I can say is fantastic, this fish restaurant is magnificent with great menu, busy but with great service. We were unrushed, over fed and watered well... If you're a foody you have to come here.
Breakfast, more of the same, quality product and service, unrushed and polite.
The staff throughout the stay were friendly and super professional. Nothing is too much trouble is the feel here.
The grounds and location look great for warmer times, and a good base to explode this area of the uk with Southampton, Oxford, lamb ours etc all within striking area.
I feel priveledged of the experience, some of the rooms have hot tubs... Again, a summer visit is the thought.
Highly recommended is my synopsis of this stunning find. Thank you for my stay, and for my second birthday this year x

• Stayed: March 2013
Joe F, General Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Johncoote
I would like to thank you for taking time to write a review about us,is greatly appreciated.
Here at The Crab we do take Pride in what we do and I am glad to see from your review that we have made you feel very welcome and your staying was most enjoyable to yourselves.
I hope to see you soon with us again and all the best from us at The Crab.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I booked The Crab based on recommendations from friends, and was not disappointed!!

We stayed in Bora Bora as a birthday treat for my partner. The room was lovely and not dated at all as I have read in other reviews, there is a lovely coffee machine and delicious biscuits! I was pleased to also find iron and ironing board!
The hot tub was a lovely touch also and really relaxing!

Dinner in the restaurant was delicious especially the desert (mandarin cheesecake). The ultimate treat was breakfast in bed!

Will definitely be staying again!!!

Room Tip: Bora Bora room was lovely
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Lil_Wun
Many thanks for your kind feedback.
I am glad that your Fiancé has enjoyed the surprise that you have prepared with us at The Crab.
Could I also take this oppurtunity to welcome you back to the Crab in the near future and once again thank you very much for you kind feedback.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I surprised my Fiancé with a trip here last weekend and I have to say it did not disappoint! We stayed in the Cipriani room - one of the hot tub rooms. The room was lovely, there were dressing gowns and slippers provided, along with a lovely coffee maker, a jar of cookies and essentials such as an Iron, hair dryer and nice toiletries. The private hot tub was brilliant, and the area was so peaceful you could not help but feel relaxed which was just what we needed! We had dinner at 7.30pm in the restaurant, we could not fault the food it was lovely. This is perfect for a romantic break away from the hustle and bustle of it all! we will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: The hot tub rooms are not massive but I would reccomend going for one with a hot tub, it just adds s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hayley L

Dear Luvstrav
Many thanks for your feedback.
I would like to offer my apologies if you think your complaint was not handled in a proper way,although if I may say I did ring you personally when your letter was received but I have never obtained a reply to the message that was left on your phone.
Has for the alleged indisposition that you have found in your stomach I would like to reassure you that our product is fresh in on a daily basis and we take great pride in the food we serve,although I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your indisposition.
I sincerely hope you give us the oppurtunity to make amends in the near future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed on the xmas package our second visit as we stayed overnight in one of the hot tub rooms back in august. I have noticed some very different reviews and whilst overall we like the crab and concept the venue does have issues.
Rooms and the place overall is tired and needs decorating and maintenance to justify and compare with other venues in the same revenue stream. Food is good quality but not outstanding the breakfast is superb however. The hot tub we had was tired and had no cushions so you could not lie back in the tub and the parasol was bent - again general maintenance required. Staff are very friendly. Customer service when or if you do have a problem is poor and unprofessional. We came home from our xmas break on boxing day with sickness and bad stomachs we were ill for two days. We wrote a letter at the beginning of January and had to chase four times before an email of a rather offhand nature offering a free set meal arrived two months later ..Shame this place has great potential but does not match the standards of other establishments we will not be going back.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Luvstrav

Hello Luvstrav,

Thank you for comments.

We are currently in the process of redecorating areas of The Crab and hopefully it will be looking refreshed for time to come!

I am sorry that you thought the customer service was poor, as we try very hard to ensure that all of our guests feel comfortable, even if there is a problem. I do hope that you will use the invitation to come back and have our set menu as we would very much like the opportunity to change your mind.

Please let me know if you would like to dine with us and we will do our very best to ensure you have a lovely meal.

Natasha

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Royal Oak
#1 of 1 in Yattendon
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North
Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!