“Great food but smelly room.”
Review of Crab & Boar

Crab & Boar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
“Great food but smelly room.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

my birthday treat and the venue and food were great. Sadly our room smelled of drains and despite reporting it all that happened was a liberal spray of air freshner which didn't last....not even an apology. Boo.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank henry12pant
Joe F, General Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Henry
Many thanks for your feedback.
I do apologise for the issues that you have encountered on your stay at The Crab.
I would also like to assure you that the slight problem that we had with our drains has been fully resolved by a professional company.
I would like to see you back with us in the future,

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed February 11, 2013

No complaints whatsoever...but!

We stayed for a Saturday night in a hot tub room. Excellent staff, outstanding food, incredible breakfast delivered to our room, but the room was overpriced at £200.

When I have to walk outside to get from the restaurant to my room, listen to traffic when in bed and the hot tub is on a patio surrounded by a high wooden fence, I feel that I have missed out on the luxury that £200 should deliver.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much for my pound these days?

I'll return to the outstanding restaurant but won't be staying again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Guffroom
Joe F, General Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guffroom
Many thanks for your feedback.
I am Sorry if you felt that your room was not worth the money you have paid to stay with us,we do take customer feedback seriously and I will assure you yours was no different.
I am glad that you have enjoyed our food and that you will be back to dinne in our Restaurant again,

All the best and kind regards
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Looking for a restaurant mid-way between the Cotswolds and Surrey, I remembered a recommendation for the Crab. We certainly weren't disappointed - perfect staff, a lovely interior and simply outstanding food.

Joe F, General Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam

I am delighted you have enjoyed the food and the surroundings of The Crab as it was your first visit with us.
Hopefully we will see more often at The Crab and I am sure we can continue to provide you with our high standards.
Many thanks for your kind feedback,

Kind regards
Didcot, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed overnight here recently, and considering what it looks like from the outside, it took us quite by surprise. We stayed in the Indian Plantation room, which has a wonderful luxurious, colonial feel to it. Biscuits and coffee in the room on arrival, a friendly welcome, and a very nice bathroom too. We stayed for dinner, and we had a lovely meal. As the name suggests, The Crab is all about the seafood, but even if you don't like seafood, like me, there is plenty on the menu to enjoy. We also enjoyed the taster platter of desserts.

We had a very comfortable nights sleep, in spite of the fact that our room backed on to the main road outside, and our breakfast was at the same high standard as everything else.

Of course it's not cheap, particularly if you treat yourself a glass of champagne and some wine, but it's one of those places where you can just indulge yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy M
Natasha H, Front Office Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Hello Andy M,

Thank you for your 5 star review.

It is great to hear you had a relaxing stay with us, and yes, even though the restaurant is known for its seafood, we have a good selection of other dishes on offer too!

We look forward to welcoming you back, and possibly you can come and visit Thailand, Singapore or Morocco next time you stay!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Lucky Oik was treated to a night here with dinner.
The room was ace, to a very high standard both in terms of decor and cleanliness, as well as nice touches like a posh coffee machine, posh biccies, a very comfy bed and of course the hot tub!!
even on a cold february afternoon, hot tub, champagne and the rugby on the telly!! bliss!!

The staff are very friendly and helpful, complimentary glass of shampoo delivered to the room on arrival was a nice touch.

dinner was amazing. I love fish and the menu was tough to choose from. All dishes were delicious! you have to try the fish soup!!

Breakfast was very good too.

Highly recommended, and worth "splashing out" on a room with a tub!

Room Tip: Get one with a hot tub!
Hello Tattooed-oik,

Thank you for a great review!

We also agree that the hot tubs can be used in any weather, and that sounded like a perfect break away to us! It is lovely to hear good comments about the staff and they certainly like reading about them.

We look forward to welcoming you back here again in the future!

SURREY
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have just returned form a one night stay here.
We stayed in Hot Tub room Bora Bora, the room was very nice and the hot tub was great.
I struggled to get the shower to work and when I did the water was not hot no matter how I tried.
The room at night was quite cold and I couldn't find any heating.

We had Dinner in the Restaurant, the food was really delicious and the hot seafood platter was gargantuan.

The service was always efficient and friendly, all the staff were very charming.

On arriving home, I checked my bill and had been charged for drinks I didn't have but that's my fault for not checking the bill thoroughly before departure.

The total including, accomodation wines and food was £ 400, which I would say was a fair price.

I would recomend this hotel for it's hot tub rooms and the seafood.

Room Tip: Choose a hot tub room
Hello Hershamboy,

Thank you for your comments.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a lovely meal in the restaurant. In relation to the heating and hot water, it is always best to let us know as soon as possible for us to try and solve this, but my apologies that you had problems with this. As for the drinks on the bill, we do try and check with every guest when they check out as to whether the bill is correct but I regret that this was something that we missed.

Hopefully we can welcome you here again in the future and thank you for the recommendations.

Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at The Crab as part of our anniversary celebrations and from the minute we arrived to the minute we left we weren't disappointed. It's situated amongst the sprawling Berkshire countryside and on a sunny afternoon in February, it was truly a sight to behold.

We checked in and were greeted by very friendly staff who then showed us to our room. We stayed in the Bird Island room which has its own private courtyard complete with hot tub! All of the rooms are themed on places around the world, and ours was apparently "one of the most fascinating places on earth, isolated in the middle of the Indian Ocean between Mauritius and Arabia. It is suspected to be the authentic Garden of Eden". It certainly felt very relaxing!

A few minutes after putting our bags down there was a knock at the door and a member of staff delivered two glasses of complimentary bubbles! Nice touch, but that was just the start of it. We also found a gorgeous coffee machine and facilities for making tea, water and fresh (I think they were even homemade!) biscuits.

We had booked a table for dinner and I noticed that the restaurant was full.....always a good sign in my book. It's a seasonal menu dominated by fish, however if you're not a fish lover there were other choices available. We opted for the fish soup and tortellini starter, whole crab and half lobster mains and creme brulee for pud and all I can say is the food was amazing. Yes it's a little on the expensive side, but then you get what you pay for - atentive staff and excellent quality of food which realistically errs towards the fine dining category. It was a special occasion and it delivered in every sense of the word.

I was definitely very sad to be leaving but I know I will definitely be going back :-)

Room Tip: If you can afford it - the hot tub rooms really are somethig a little special.
Hello CorsetQueen,

Thank you very much for such a shining review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to relax for this special occasion!

I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future and maybe you will just have to try some of our other famous rooms from around the world!

Natasha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
The Swan at Streatley
#1 of 1 in Streatley on Thames
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North
Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!