“Great food and attentive service”
Review of The Island Cafe

The Island Cafe
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Arinagour
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The number of places to eat on Coll on an evening is very limited and whilst the name of this establishment was not very appetising the food certainly was. My wife had mutton and I had chicken breast and these were well cooked. We were served large portions and additionally there was an ample selection of vegetables. We had the house white which was a pleasant sauvignon blanc priced at under £11. We received prompt, pleasant and attentive service.
The Cafe is closed on a Tuesday and Wednesday. We only just managed to get a table on a Monday evening. We would advise pre-booking if you want to ensure a table. We went back on the Thursday evening and had the local pork cooked in cider. It was great and you could cut the pork with a fork it was so tender. Again we had an ample selection of vegetables and again we had prompt, pleasant and attentive service.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

If you're going to visit Coll, the chances are you'll go to the Island Cafe. I've eaten there many times and have always enjoyed the experience. The standard of produce is much higher than might be expected in a small Hebridean cafe. Everything is ethically sourced / organic / fair trade / local. This includes the beer and wine list and the wine list, in particular, is very fairly priced; the organic Normandy cider is an extememly refreshing alternative. There's also a well-stocked deli attached.

Whether it's a coffee and a cake or a full meal, the cafe hits the spot. Service is charming and the atmosphere laid back. Relax - you're on holiday and it's a nice place to linger! I find the full meals to be better value than the snacks and tend to visit in the evenings. The Sunday roast is (deservedly) popular with the locals that booking is essential (and advisable on other occasions - we couldn't get a table on our last night). The selection of locally sourced meats is stunning and the Yorkshire puddings light as a feather. I have just read a reference to bland boiled veg. In my experience, you get a selection of about seven different vegetables, locally grown where possible. Not bad for a little island cafe!

I've already booked to return to Coll next year and will sneak another week in before then if work commitments and finances allow. Please don't book the last table on a Sunday without confirming that I've already booked mine!

1  Thank Struay
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I ate twice in the Island Cafe, including Sunday roast. Yes, it has a nice ambience and the shop is well stocked. But the meals were not very high quality, especially given the price. The fish (haddock) that came with chips was not very fleshy at all, and the Grishipoll steak was with gravy and roast potato and Yorkshire pudding and a plate of bland boiled vegetables, not even seasonal and presumably not local. The other restaurant in Arinagour offers a slightly pricier menu, but there the quality is evident and the food is really accomplished and nicely presented. Don't be disappointed by the Island Cafe, go elsewhere for a really good Scottish experience.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Also called First Port of Coll. The lunches and dinners we had here were great. Father /daughter run restaurant. Soem of the best food I had in Scotland was here.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We received a really warm welcome. Family run business. Great front of house!
Varied menu. London chef!