“Could do better”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daliburgh
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Four of us stayed here in May 2013. The rooms (but not the bathrooms) had been recently refurbished. My room was smart and comfortable though the decor was not to everyone’s taste. The bathroom was very large and I really enjoyed soaking in the bath but my companion tried to have a shower and complained that there was no hook on which to put the shower-head.

We did not have dinner there. My breakfast was excellent, but I was careful to avoid some items that looked as if they had been on the buffet rather a long time: the concealed prunes and the crystallised apricots. The breakfast room was cold.

The staff were pleasant and courteous.

Overall, we got much better value in B&B’s on the islands but unfortunately there was a shortage of B&B accommodation in South Uist in May.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank dene2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

ate here for nights. may 25th -28th. food average, but the service was dreadful. still eating desert at 10 20 PM.! get out the gaviscon. !! too late to enjoy a meal. the staff were pleasant enough but it seemed that one girl was carrying all the weight on her own.

Room Tip: although we booked in the AM. the meals were still far too long arriving., and went on far too long...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dot D
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stopped here on our way out around the islands. We were nearing 2pm and knew we needed to find some place to have lunch before 3, as most places close for lunch by then. We were ushered into the bar area and from the limited menu I chose minute steak on white bread with onions and horseraddish and my husband had spaghetti bolognese. It would have been an okay dish if the cook hadn't dumped a half a bottle of marjoram into the sauce. Mine was a complete disaster. Overcooked chunks of steak on the cheapest, flimsiest slices of white bread made all the more soggy and unmanageable by the wet onions and horseraddish sauce. I was so hungry I ate it anyway but immediately regretted it afterwards. They couldn't even get a pint of Guiness right. It had a very strange sour taste to it even in the foam which made it unpleasant to drink. Needless to say, we didn't stay for dessert but paid the bill and rushed out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank greenladybourne
Stornoway, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Whenever I'm down in South Uist on business, I always make sure I get booked into the Borrodale, I can't fault it. A warm welcome greets you as soon as you walk in, from the cozy feel of the place to the staff themselves. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Lunch and evening meals are the regular pub favourites together with plenty of specials to choose from. I've never had a bad meal here.

On my latest trip to the Borrodale, I'd ordered an evening meal only to realise just as the meal was about to be served that I had to be somewhere & had to dash. It wasn't a problem for the staff at all, they kept the meal for when I returned a few hours later and it was delicious.

The rooms are kept to a good standard and very clean. Beds are comfy & warm

I'd recommend the Borrodale to anyone wishing a good, relaxed, enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Scott C
Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Phoned to arrange accommodation at last minute. Was given room 24! What a disappointment. Evening meal was......no more comment required here. Room was ........ No more comment required here either. Breakfast was really good, no complaint here at all. Sorry, but you really must up your stakes. I'm looking elsewhere and that includes sleeping in the vehicle! You know who I am!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank murdo428
Strathcarron, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at the Borrodale Hotel for the second year running while staying over in Daliburgh, South Uist.

I was delighted with the room (room 18) that the staff gave me for my short one night stay. The room was spacious and comfortable with a nice modern TV mounted upon the wall. The room also had a large desk, ideal for someone working away from home

The food in the bar is amazing!!! I enjoyed the soup of the day (carrot & Ginger) followed by a cheese burger n chips on this occasion... Loved it!

I missed breaky on this trip, but i can say that from my trip here in 2011 it was amazing then

Roll on my trip here again in 2013!!!

Room Tip: Room 18 was very comfortable
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank nightfireuk2001
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed for one night after already spent two nights in the sister hotel, Dark Island Hotel for a friends wedding.
The woman on reception when we were checking in was pleasant, shown to our rooms, which were clean and nicely decorated, i loved the lime green flowery wallpaper feature wall in our room!!
We ate in the lounge bar, which was nice, like the Dark Island Hotel, both hotels have a traditional feel which in my opinion gave us the 'Hebrides Experience' whilst in Uists.
Young woman on the bar was very polite,attentive and very friendly.
Dinner was lovely, i had the local crab cakes, followed by fresh caught monk fish tails, my partner having the Scallops & Langustines, both were delicious. Cant beat fresh caught Hebrides shellfish.
We had a drink in the public bar which is used a lot by locals before heading up for a great nights sleep.
Breakfast fantastic too, cereal, croissants, yoghurt & fruit, followed by a fry. set us up for our travels home that day.
Would i return? No question about it, yes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SDW7

Been to Borrodale Hotel? Share your experiences!