“Halloween in Transylvania”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cisnadioara
Secret Transylvania Guest House
Ranked #1 of 5 Cisnadioara B&B and Inns
bucks
“Halloween in Transylvania”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

It all started well with fuss free travel on Wizz Air from Luton to Targe Mures. Great flight, good seats and reasonable cost.

We were collected from the airport by Nulutsu who drove us back to Cisnadiora as if he was driving on eggs. This was pleasant as a lot don't drive carefully.

Jez & Diana could not have been more helpful both prior to arrival and during our stay. We visited all or most of the regions delights including a horse and carriage ride through Astra. At the museum you can see how life has evolved in Transylvania. Some of the highlights were the many Saxon fortified churches along with Rasnov Fortress, Bran Castle, Transfagaras Highway and of course the wonderful Balea Lac

Jez is very knowledgeable on local history and is more than happy to change tours to suit weather or needs. A raconteur for certain.

Di on the other hand is determined to make every guest fat. The food is just beyond description and the portions overly generous. The local cats and dogs dine well on the scraps.

We cannot wait for a break in our schedules so that we can return to this idillyic location and these lovely people. The facilities and accommodation are scrupulously clean with plenty of charm and character.

The Lancaster Pub is Jez's bolt hole for evenings and serves a nice pint. Visitors included Doris & Sorin along with Dennis--Derek--Dolly et al

Room Tip: We went for Haloween 2012 but because I forgot to do the review it says March 2013
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BucksKittenkat

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I visited Transylvania with my friend and can not recommend this package enough! Jez and Di run a brilliant guest house and have an amazing itinerary set up. You really can't go wrong with the help and care from them.

We booked the Ice Hotel trip with an extra day on the end to save money on the flights, the extra day B&B cost was still better than the increased cost of the flight. We got to spend an extra day in Sibiu which was really beautiful. If Jez and Di are amenable, I definitely recommend adding a day on for this reason.

The Ice Hotel at Lac Balea was incredible but I could see how it could be confusing without a guide, Jez really takes care of everything while you're there. He's also very knowledgeable about the area, the history and people. Any questions I had on our journeys were answered really well and it was clear that he enjoys the area.

Di's cooking is delicious and plentiful, you will not go hungry staying here! There's already a lot written here about the food so I won't go into it too much but it is noteworthy.

The trips are well planned, good fun and varied. You really feel like you're getting your value for money whilst going at your own pace.

I tend not to like going back to the same places twice, the world is too big to retread the same adventures but I do thoroughly recommend Secret Transylvania and I am considering returning in the summer months to see the country then, Romania is a beautiful place and well worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was definitely one of the highlights of our recent European trip. Di was brilliant from the first email conversation to packing us a lunch to take with us to the airport on the last day. Jez was completely awesome with picking us up from the airport, to taking us sightseeing to various places in Transylvania, to being waiter at meal times, to being the bar tend.
We did the ice hotel experience with them and that was completely awesome! Di's cooking is completely out of this world! (thanks for the extra 3 kilo's Di!)
I am already planning a return trip in a warmer season to do the other things that I missed out on!
To be able to spend some time in a tiny village in Transylvania was amazing, it felt like we had gone back in time 30 years. I fell in love with this little part of Europe and can't wait to return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnitaBaumann
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was my first time visiting Romania, and staying here during Christmas was such a memorable experience. Di and Jez were incredible hosts and everybody else involved to help make our experience special really did do an outstanding job.

The food was absolutely delicious, and I am not just saying that. Especially whilst staying there during Christmas day, Di and Jez really did work hard and I definitely appreciated their efforts. (Best Turkey I have ever had!)

They also know a lot about the location, and will arrange to take you to places that are interesting and worth visiting. One experience I do recommend is visiting the ice hotel! Now that is something worth seeing as I have never seen anything like it! It was great to see all that snow during Christmas time.

Overall my experience was fantastic and I was never disappointed. Hopefully I will soon be returning to see Transylvania in the Summer! (Photos attached)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

“From making enquiries to booking nothing was too much trouble, our experience of Romania was made even more personal with those little extras catered for (other ice hotel guests envious of what lengths Jez and Di had gone to),

As both of our hosts were ex pats their knowledge of all the tourist spots and local history was second to none( Lisa and Angela still talking about their escalator ride?) absolutely brill.

Forget about dieting as the food was out of this world, home cooking on another level. and our new years eve in sibui before leaving was the icing on the cake on a wonderful break, a holiday experience the 4 of us never expected but ticked all boxes and more thanks to our hosts.

we will definitely be returning in the summer, thanks Di and Jez from Lisa ,Fran, Keith and Angela.

Room Tip: stay in guest house and be spoilt
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

You won't find a better holiday at any price! This was my third visit as a paying guest, 2 weeks with the family in the summer of 2011 and again in 2012 (see my earlier revues).

I've been looking for an excuse to return since then. The Ice Hotel package seemed like the perfect option. ;)

The quality and attention to detail hasn't waned at all. I travelled with an "Old" friend and I'm sure he will return for more of the same.

Di's cooking is worth the trip alone!! You will read this over and over again in previous revues, there is no exaggerating the food is superb and served in copious quantities, so bring elasticated trousers.

The Ice Hotel was spectacular and as always with Secret Transylvania everything worked like clockwork. Jez books a room in the nearby Cabana and minds the valuables overnight.

Now working out how soon I can get back to Cisnadioara or a 4th time!

Thanks again guys, see you all soon!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank TheMarsBars
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic week, Jez can't do enough for you, ferrying us here, there and everywhere. Di's cooking is, well, I have never had such a high standard of food for a week in my life, unbelievably superb.
Got to come back again and I can't wait.
Bad points? Only one, that was when I looked in the bathroom mirror whilst brushing my teeth and saw a tummy that had grown hugely in seven days, but it was well worth it.
If you're not sure about Transylvania then don't be, come here, relax and be prepare to be spoilt rotten.
Did I say I loved it?

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank AndyW59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cisnadioara
House of Dracula Hotel
#3 of 56 in Brasov
Kronwell Hotel
Kronwell Hotel
#1 of 56 in Brasov

Been to Secret Transylvania Guest House? Share your experiences!