“Amazing...absolutely amazing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cisnadioara
Secret Transylvania Guest House
Ranked #1 of 5 Cisnadioara B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife had always been intrigued with Transylvania (the scenery mainly) and had nagged me for ages to look into going there on holiday.

Secret Transylvania kept coming up in searches on the internet, and having read the excellent reviews we decided to email Di. Her responses were quick and very detailed and from the first conversation I had complete peace of mind that I was dealing with a very professional person. No query was a problem, and by the time our trip came up, my wife and I had all the information we could possibly want.

We flew from London Luton with Wizz Air, and having paid a little bit more for extra legroom, the 3 hour flight was very smooth, and indeed my wife (who doesn't usually travel very well) found the trip very comfortable.

Upon arrival at Tirgu Mures, we were greated by Nelutiu, their main driver, who accompanied us on many of our trips and is a real gentleman – nothing was ever a problem for him.

We stayed at Casa Verde for the full one week, inclusive deal (which I may add is exceptional value for money as everything is included in the price), and as advertised it was indeed a short very pleasant walk past a stream through the village, to the main house where all the lovely meals were prepared by Di. The quantity and quality of the food were first class. Di, has a heart of gold and an amazing touch at producing terrific tasting food. Several evenings we also had the pleasure of eating out, and could not fault any of the meals we had – food of the very highest standard at all restaurants.

We managed to mark off every excursion we had on our itinerary…it is quite amazing how Di and Jezz are able to organise things in that regardless of the number of quests staying at a time, they somehow manage to cater for all requests. The Transfagaras Highway was incredible…you feel as though you are on top of the world and I have never experienced such wonderful views. By far, the highlight of our trip was the bear watching excursion. This is a truly unforgettable experience…to hear the gasps from everyone in the hide when a bear was seen approaching was exhilarating. These are truly beautiful creatures and I would recommend this as a must on any trip.

The little village where the accommodation is based (Cisnadioara) is gorgeous and a walk up to the fortified church which overlooks the village is certainly recommended.

The Lancaster Pub (based at the main house) is full of atmosphere…I sometimes had to pinch myself to convince me that I really was in the middle of a lovely Romanian village sitting in a small pub. Jezz made a terrific landlord and his stories were always entertaining (although I’m not convinced that some of his stories – particularly regarding bears – is to be believed?!?!)

We had the fortune to spend several nights in the company of some charming guests (Keith, Michelle and Marie) who were on their second Secret Transylvania trip. What lovely people they were and we enjoyed many laughs (and drinks) in the Lancaster Pub.

To sum things up...you could not hope to meet a nicer couple than Di and Jezz. Indeed, we cannot praise Secret Transylvania enough…a truly magical experience, unlike anything you’re ever likely to encounter anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Raymond W

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

The annexe where we stayed is a10 minute walk from the main house. It was poorly furnished.
No toiletries, food cooked excellent, best meal in 2 week stay in Transylvania. The owners have created a pub atmosphere and a little Britain abroad.

• Stayed: September 2013
8  Thank 209941Anne1954
jezallen, Owner at Secret Transylvania Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Arriving for dinner and leaving to catch your bus at 6am this was less than a 12 hour stay (8 of which was presumably spent sleeping)!!
99% of our guests stay a minimum of a week and because they tend to bring their own 'products' we stopped leaving toiletries out in the bathroom, as is clearly stated on the front page of our website. Arriving with only hand luggage, 'being on a very tight budget' and 'needing to keep cost to a minimum' we probably should have realised you needed toiletries. Had you only asked we would have happily supplied you with some shampoo etc.
Thank you for your kind comments about the dinner and the lovely atmosphere in our little 'private, guest's only pub'. We're sorry you were disappointed with the furniture in your room. We have never claimed to be the Hlton but then don't charge Hilton prices, which given your budget is probably all for the best.
Looking at your other reviews I see you are disappointed with quite a lot of your travel experiences, including The Cotswolds (??!!). We're just delighted that in your estimation we are grouped with Jamie Oliver and The Randolf Hotel in Oxford (!).
We very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I am a 19 year old student and I came here with my mum and we had and amazing time! The food was fantastic, Di managed to make food I usually don't like so that I enjoyed it, and nalitsu was a very helpful driver and he was very kind to everyone, also jez gave every tour a light humour to keep us entertained, I will definatly be back to see the ice hotel! Oh and the bears, horse riding and full body massages were fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Claire J
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Oh to be back in Transylvania – eating Di’s fab food and exploring this beautiful country with Jez’s illuminating commentary! Had a wonderful week in Casa Verde, Di and Jez always went to extra mile to ensure our total enjoyment and comfort and tailored the week to our specific needs. Jez – can’t find any reference to bee dipping in my book – gutted!
Would love to return in winter – Thanks for a wonderful experience and would thoroughly recommend this adventure to anyone who appreciates great food, great company and a great adventure (and great value too!).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank parsonjax
Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was just what we hoped for - we stayed there for 10 days, and they just looked after us, 2 couples, all 60 ish - in comfort - with excellent food - at the location, and in local restaurants.
When we wanted to relax, we did. When we wanted a trip out - to a fortified church, to the ethnologial museum, to the ski centre - or the place where they zip line through the trees - no problem.
Great trip, good people - go there, you wont regret it

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Firstly, huge apologies to Di and Jez. We meant to write this review so much earlier, but things have been really hectic. We visited in February and it was absolutely fantastic from start to finish. Everything people have said about the food is true - Di even catered for my very fussy husband who is a virtual meatatarian! We saw so many things that were brilliant - but the highlights were the Ice Hotel, Bran Castle and the evening in Sibiu. Everywhere we ate was excellent and our review cannot do it justice. We could not have asked for better hosts. Nothing was too much trouble and there were even friendly dogs to stroke at the end of the day. We will definitely be going back - it's just a question of when. If you are considering going, stop considering and book!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank S_PWilmington_Kent
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I surprised my partner with a trip to Romania, and organised everything with Di at Secret Transylvania. Everything was absolutely fantastic! We were there at the tail end of winter with another couple around our age and had an amazing time, right from being picked up by Jez at the airport to our early morning drop off at the end of the week.

The room was very cosy and comfortable, the food was amazing (Di is a fantastic cook), and there was no better bar in Transylvania than pub than The Lancaster!

Jez was a fantastic guide, taking us to Sighisoara, Bran, Bear watching and up to the Ice Hotel at Balea Lac. A constant source of entertainment, as well as a Oxford United fan (what more could you ask for?)

I would very highly recommend this to absolutely anyone! I look forward to a possible summer return to Secret Transylvania!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matt H

Been to Secret Transylvania Guest House? Share your experiences!