“Faultless!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cisnadioara
Secret Transylvania Guest House
Ranked #1 of 5 Cisnadioara B&B and Inns
Auckland, New Zealand
“Faultless!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I surprised my partner with a trip to Romania, and organised everything with Di at Secret Transylvania. Everything was absolutely fantastic! We were there at the tail end of winter with another couple around our age and had an amazing time, right from being picked up by Jez at the airport to our early morning drop off at the end of the week.

The room was very cosy and comfortable, the food was amazing (Di is a fantastic cook), and there was no better bar in Transylvania than pub than The Lancaster!

Jez was a fantastic guide, taking us to Sighisoara, Bran, Bear watching and up to the Ice Hotel at Balea Lac. A constant source of entertainment, as well as a Oxford United fan (what more could you ask for?)

I would very highly recommend this to absolutely anyone! I look forward to a possible summer return to Secret Transylvania!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matt H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Frome, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you have ever considered visiting Transylvania and are a little unsure where to stay and how to get around contact Di and Jez at Secret Transylvania.
We are 3 couples who stayed 5 nights on the fully inclusive basis which is brilliant value for money with no hidden extras.
Everyone has commented on Di’s cooking and we totally agree. From the first evening meal to the last the food was brilliant and so much of it!! The 3 men had the full English breakfast on the first morning but even they struggled to eat it all and there after went for scrambled eggs and mushrooms on toast. The continental was super, lovely fruits, cereals, croissants and toast with local jams and honey.
Jez was great fun with a wicked sense of humour which showed how gullible we could be at times!! We visited beautiful old fortified churches and Jez was very knowledgeable on their history and also has a love of nature. There were so many things to do and see but we only had 4 full days so we crammed in as much as the time would allow.
Our last day was spent at the mud and salt lakes which were great fun and very relaxing.
The Lancaster bar was a great hit. It was wonderful to be there whilst England were celebrating 70 years of the Lancaster bombers taking off on their daring mission.
Nelutiu became a daddy for the first time whilst we were there so we did not see too much of him as he was rather busy. He did however get up very early to drive us to the airport (a very good and steady driver)
Visiting Transylvania is more than a holiday, it is a wonderful experience.
Jez summed up Transylvania perfectly by saying “We are 2 hours ahead and 100 years behind”. It is more than a holiday, it is a wonderful experience.
Really hope to return one day. Thank you so much Di, Jez and Nelutiu

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jane P
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

It’s difficult to think of anything new to write about Secret Transylvania when everything about how excellent it is has already been said by other reviewers, but I’ll have a go!

I had a “wish-list” involving staying in an ice hotel, skiing, skidooing and of course drinking (!) before my 40th Birthday and after doing lots of research, my wife found the perfect solution for a “Dad’s and Lads” trip with a 5 day custom trip to Romania through Secret Transylvania back in February.

My wife couldn’t have been more complementary about the service she received through Di during the pre-trip organisation – from booking to payment (fantastic value for what you get) to the tailor made schedule that was suggested to keep a couple of 40-year old fellas and our 14-year old sons busy for the duration.

As has been said in other reviews, Jez is really knowledgeable and what he doesn’t know about the local area, he’ll make up to get a laugh out of you – and with us being from Swindon, he even went as far as putting an Oxford United car sticker in the back window of the Dacia he drove us around in!

Romania is an amazing country with a real mixture of the poor and the wealthy, but everyone we met was friendly enough and we had a really great time doing everything from looking round the shops and tourist attractions to sledging, skidooing and exploring up at the ice hotel (you’ve got to spend the night sleeping there, it was amazing). Jez also spent time giving us all a skiing lesson as we were all novices, and he had us all managing to get down the slopes and stopping confidently by the end of the morning and if it hadn’t been for the aching limbs, we would have spent a second day there, it was brilliant and was the ideal location for anyone looking to give skiing a go for the first time or for those looking to get back in to skiing.

Reviews I read said it was cheap to eat out in Romania, and although the meals we had out were good, don’t be fooled – Di’s cooking was by far the best I’ve ever eaten and there was enough to feed an army! My only complaint about the whole five days was that I was so well looked after, I was too full to drink lots of beer! I’m hoping to go back next summer with my family to have a go in the pool, do some bear watching, mountain biking and a walk up the mountain to where the ice hotel is situated to see how different it all looks when the sun is out. I would 110% recommend Secret Transylvania to anybody – Di and Jez are the perfect hosts and it was a fantastic experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mike W
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We’ve delayed this review in the hope that Secret Transylvania could remain a secret just for us. Sadly though it looks like pretty much everybody falls in love with this place and Jez & Di. These amazing people go out of their way to make sure your stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
We are seasoned travellers who have always travelled independently but when it came to Transylvania, we decided to try something different. After reading the reviews here and many emails to Di, we took the plunge and booked with Secret Transylvania. Turned out to be the best decision we could have made. Jez & Di allow you the freedom to feel independent whilst providing backup and support. A very rare quality.
We flew with Wizzair from Luton to Turges Mures and after booking XXLegroom and priority boarding, (worth the extra) it was a really comfortable 3hr flight.
Our accommodation for the week was the 2 bedroom village house just 10 mins walk from the main house. Beautifully decorated, really comfortable and every amenity you could ask for.
The main house is lovely, such a warm homely feel. You’re greeted by Jez & Di plus the dogs who are always pleased to see you. We booked a week in mid-March which meant it was cold enough to stay in the Ice Hotel. What a magical setting and refreshingly, so cheap. Drinks £1 and the 4 course meal was 5 star quality.
After the ice hotel, we opted for Jez’s idea of going straight to the spa located within the local Hilton hotel. A bargain at £20 for a full days pass.
Throughout the week, Jez always suggests different things you may want to do and nothing is too much trouble. We did so much in the week. All transfers to various places are taken care of so you really just relax and take it all in. A special thank you to Nelutu who drove us around. Such a lovely guy, always happy and up for a giggle, even at 3am.
The only excursions we had to pre book and pay for were the Ice Hotel and bear watching. Sadly though the bears must have known we were coming so hid from us. Can’t complain though its nature it’s what they do.
Di’s cooking along with Jez’s waiter skills ensure you never go hungry and the quality of the food is exceptional. You have drinks included with dinner and can polish the night off in Jez’s bar and what a treat to have real ales especially at £1 each. We also had some amazing meals out which are all covered within the price. So it really is all inclusive. You won’t need much spending money. We took our sterling with us and changed it up in local banks when we needed it.
We have always come back from different places saying we should go back but never do. However this time, we came home and booked for a week in September. Really can’t wait.
Thanks Jez & Di
Lots of love the 2 Penguin’s and Buggs

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MickeyClyde
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

When you think "Guest House" you may think B&B with a few leaflets around giving you ideas of tourist things to do in the area. THINK AGAIN! "The Secret Transylvania Experience" would be a better description!
My wife booked us along with another couple on this all-inclusive deal as it included a trip to the Ice Hotel Romania (see separate review "Once In A Lifetime Experience"). It is fair to say I didn't spend much time researching the local area for things to do before we came, as my wife said there were some Excursions on the Secret Transylvania web site we could pick from. My wife communicated with Di before and after booking, and Di sent useful advice and even a photo of Jez who would meet us at the airport (we had to book our Wizz air flight from Luton to Tirgu Mures independently, but again following advice from Di this was no problem).
Jez was great from the moment he met us... our personal chauffeur for the week. I needn't have worried about not being prepared of where to visit, Jez had an itinerary ready for us! Each day he would tell us the suggested trip for the following day so that we could have everything prepared for the day at the specified time. He was also more than happy to accommodate any special requests we had - eg trip to shopping mall etc. Our trips included Dracula's birthplace, Bram castle, Rasnov fort, Astra museum, The Ice Hotel, Sibiu city centre etc. Jez doing all the driving and either visiting with us, or giving us advice on where to go at the entrances (all entrance fees were included in the package). Souvenir shopping was a necessary extra of course :-) Jez has an extensive knowledge of Romania and continually points out places of interest (which even included the abattoir where horse meat was exported from - labelled as horse meat when it left of course). Jez also has a great sense of humour, and if you play along you get some real tall stories!!
Now to other important things... Food & Drink. Di's home cooked food is AMAZING! Full English breakfast is on offer (and alternatives) - just place your order the evening before. Main evening meals were a nice range from Roast like you've never seen before, to very tasty dishes with english and local ideas. You don't go hungry - enough said. One of my favourites was the freshly baked bread with the starters - but heed Jez's warning and don't fill up on it before the main... er... and the puddings too! A drink is included with the meals (either soft or alcohol) and in the evenings you have the opportunity to purchase further drinks in the Pub - yes Jez has his own pub in the cellar (envy)! The Lancaster Pub is small, but exclusive to Secret Transylvania guests, so perfect. Local drinks at £1 a go - he just chalks them up on the board and you pay up at the end of your stay - imported drinks are also available. While in here you have access to free wi-fi too.
The funny thing is the accommodation is probably the least memorable part of the holiday - don't get me wrong it was perfectly comfortable/decorated/equipped/warm etc - its just that everything else keeps your interest (and memories) busy! We stayed in what was an old Saxon village house, obviously brought up to date with modern bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, heating etc. There is a small walk between the accommodation and the main house (where food is provided) but Jez or his helper will fetch you in the car if needed. There was a problem with Electricity in the village one day, which had a knock-on to the electric in the cottage, but no problem Jez was on the case in minutes, fetching the local electric board chaps from down the road, and all was fixed by the time we returned from our meal.
Everything ran like clockwork, showing that Jez and Di have put a lot of thought into creating something memories are made of. All in all this was the most wonderful personal service I think I have ever had! Rename it "The Secret Transylvania Experience"!

Room Tip: E-mail Secret Transylvania (link on their web site) and Di will advise what's best for your need...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I am always a bit nervous of travelling to new places as I am recovering from cancer treatment and find ordinary, mundane things hard work. But I needn't have worried - Di sent regular answers to my questions and Jez went above and beyond to make sure I could cope with everything. It was an amazing experience. I love my 'sunbed with nothing to do all day' holidays but they all seem to merge into one in the memory and I wanted to have a holiday which was really memorable and would never be forgotten. I'll put my comments into sections so you can read the ones you want to.

Pre-holiday communication.
Di was amazing - the holiday was easy to book and the advice was forthcoming. We were updated on weather, what to bring and asked for a list of food likes and dislikes. Every small question was dealt with promptly by email. All our worries about the cold, what currency to take, amount of walking etc was sorted out.

Flight - Whizz Air - Luton to Tirgu Mures
Never heard of Whizz Air so was slightly concerned. On the other hand, I had never heard of any major incidents involving Whizz Air either. The flight was great - comfortable and speedy - 2.5 hours there. Flying into Tirgu Mures seemed a much better option than going with another company to Bucharest and incurring long hours in a minibus.
Jez was there to greet us and we were soon on our way to our first tour - no minute of the day is wasted - unless you insist you need a rest!

Amazing. Di had taken on board all our likes and dislikes and it was lovely to have our meals cooked for us. The food was cordon bleu standard but roadside cafe portions - PERFECT! I've never tasted such delicious food before - two pepper soup, delicious bread, three massive quiches (between four people) lovely salads, fruit salad, fish with amazing sauces, roast pork like you have never tasted before, fresh vegetables, amazing breakfasts cooked to order with a choice of at least 8 items on the cooked breakfast, freshly perculated coffee, fresh juice, ..... I never wanted to leave.
We were also taken to two of the best restaurants in Sibiu - all at no extra cost. Both were wonderful experiences and Jez was great at giving suggestions on what to try. Think large wooden halls with log fires and waiting staff in traditional dress!

Accommodation
We stayed in the village and had our own little house for the four of us. This was perfect. It was warm, comfy with walk in showers and a kitchen to make hot drinks. But to be honest, we were really busy and didn't use the rooms much!!!!!!!

Bar/Drink
The Lancaster pub is lovely and cosy and a great place to gather at the end of the day for a debrief and a relaxing drink. It has wi-fi which made it easy for us to catch up with the kids at home. There's a great choice of drinks and if what you want isn't there, Jez offered to go and buy for you. Drinks with meals were included but all other drinks were very reasonably priced at a pound each.

Tours
Amazing trips - all tailor made to your needs. We went to Dracula's birthplace which was sited in a really lovely village. The church was worth a visit. (The steps were hard work!) We went to Bram castle and a military castle - really good trips with great souvenir buying opportunities.

Storks
I never ever thought I would see a stork's nest with a stork in it! And it was the first sighting of a stork this Spring!

Shopping
The souvenirs at Bram castle were good - silly hats, woollen slippers, scarves, wooden items. The mall was worth a visit -we went on a day they were giving out free apricot cake! We visited the carboot/market - that was a great experience - seeing the clothes, live chickens, turkeys, puppies - tractor engines.....

The Ice Hotel
What an experience!!!!!!!!!! Never to be forgotten. I love sleeping in the cold so it was perfect for me. It's fun to go on the cable car, to choose the rooms - Jez alwaystries to make sure his group are up to the top early so we get the first choice! The meal at the ice hotel was delicious. The visit to the ice church was lovely. The sleeping bag was warm enough - the tip to the toilet at 5.30 was a bit of a struggle - there was a heavy snowfall overnight making it hard to make out the path and the steps - but this just added to the memories and the excitement.

Suggested packing list for the icehotel for wimps who aren't sure of what to take!
ski jacket - mine was £30 in the sale
snow boots - £15
thermals - I forgot to pack mine but my friend found them useful
thick socks - think I wore two pairs
nice fluffy scarf
I had a ridiculous furry hat which kept me lovely and snug
t-shirt
cardi
fleece
trousers
overtrousers
ski gloves
I actually wore thick pyjamas to bed which was considered very unusual!
one of those lights on elastic you wear over your head - from the pound shop
CAMERA
sunglasses
balaclava if you are a total wimp

Total experience
If you want something that is different, unique, a talking point, memorable, enjoyable, a bit of a challenge .... SECRET TRANSYLVANIA HOLIDAY IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!
Out of the four of us, one was half dead from chemo, one a pensioner with a bad back, one with a hangover from hell and one who had to put up with the rest of us - if we can survive and have a brilliant time so can anyone!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lorrainewanderer
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed with secret transylvania as part of our ice hotel stay. Jez and Di have everything very well organised, the room was very comfortable and overlooked the swimming pool and orchard. Di is a fantastic cook and the food was outstanding. the Lancaster bomber bar is not to be missed and the trip to the ice hotel was an experience i'll be telling my friends about for years to come. We had an all inclusive deal and hardly spent any money while we were there, even when we ate in the best restaurant in Sibiu everything was paid for. We opted to go to the Spa at the Hilton hotel (which only cost £20 extra) to warm up after the ice hotel and it was great value. All in all this is a fantastic place for a holiday and we are definitely thinking of coming back in the summer. Thank you Di and Jez, keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peaches222
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cisnadioara
Hotel Casa Wagner
Bella Muzica
#2 of 56 in Brasov
Hunter Prince Castle & Dracula Hotel
Village Hotel - Transylvania

Been to Secret Transylvania Guest House? Share your experiences!