Tripadvisor

from $1,376.02
from $789.75
from $2,756.42
More Info
All reviews dry season boat ride long time village culture feeling locals tip takoradi boats man donation movie inhabitants
Selected filters
Reviewed September 4, 2019

I found this a unique experience. Our guide, who was himself a resident, was good.
Best part for me was the slow boat trip through the narrow water canals, something I've only seen in movies.
I got the feeling the inhabitants try and extract too much value out of visitors, and specifically try to hang the plight of their local school and its need for funds very high. My impression was the classrooms hadn't seen children for a long time!
We had to walk some of way due it being the dry season and the low water level.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

Amazing place to visit. Climate is very good .can definitely enjoy this place with friends.must visit.

Date of experience: September 2019
1  Thank keshashah
Reviewed August 1, 2019

This was the main reason we went to this area. We went on a kind of blustery day so I was worried about going out there in the small canoe. We decided to take a guide with the motorized boat. It was a good call. He was named David and was very interesting. Unlike the other reviews I didn't think that there was more garbage than anywhere else in Ghana. It was interesting to see the way of life there but there were a couple of times I felt like we were intruding on their privacy. As some of the reviewers mentioned there was as man at the end of the trip asking for donations. I wish I would have had something to give him, but he dismissed us quickly when we said we didn't bring any money.

Date of experience: January 2019
1  Thank utahtravellinggal
Reviewed May 11, 2019 via mobile

Since the canoe took too much time and was too small to take large groups of people, they stopped using it. The only way to the village is by motorboat. We had to pay another 100 Ghana cedi to use the boat on top of the 100 cedi entrance fee. The man also insisted to tip off the 'guide' who accompanied us during the visit. The boat trip is really amazing and nature is beautiful. It's impressive to see how the people live on the water but soon we felt like intruders. A local citizen explained us the history of the town and life today. How they need to pay their own teachers for the school because nobody send by the government manages to stay. The village only gets 12% of the entrance fee (not the extra money for the boats). They use most of it to make the visitors more comfortable (shadow, fans, place to sit) which feels very weird in the already small village. As you can imagine, they also asked for a donation. We felt bad for the way this village is being exploited and gave 40 cedi, but something has to change drastically. This little part of Ghanian culture will suffer the consequences of mass tourism soon.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank KevinN2956
Reviewed April 11, 2019

Very friendly people. Phenomenal way of living. Even a three year old can swim in the big water body. It's cheaper to go and in groups. We took a bike ride to the water and a boat ride to the village. A round trip cost about 55gh per person but 20gh if in a group of 10. It's about 2hrs drive from takoradi. There are side attractions on the way. It was a day well spent. Oh, and don't forget to make a donation to the locals. It could be cash or in kind.

Date of experience: March 2019