“Nice food shame about the service” 3 of 5 stars

North Kessock Hotel
Main Street | The Black Isle, North Kessock IV1 3XN, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Kessock
United Kingdom
“Nice food shame about the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Waited around to be seated and ended up having to just select a table ourselves as the waitresses didn't even make eye contact with us when we arrived. There were only 3 tables occupied so they can't use the excuse of it being too busy. Had to request menus after waiting for over 20 minutes. When requesting the bill, the waitress simply returned to the bar area and stood about doing nothing for 10 minutes before I had to physically get up and request to pay at the bar. Not sure if this was down to incompetency or sheer rudeness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Just got home from 4 nights at this absolute gem of a hotel - wish I had booked longer. As a single traveller (who last weekend had spent a couple of nights in a very posh, expensive hotel in Cornwall where they gave me the worst room with absolutely no view at all and the worst table in the restaurant) it was so refreshing to find the North Kessock Hotel, where I was given Room 1 with stunning view over Moray Firth - I actually spotted dolphins from my bed! The staff were brilliant and really nothing was too much trouble; I didn't want chips with my (excellent) sirloin steak, so I got mustard mash which was perfect. All the food I sampled was perfectly presented & cooked; and the desserts were amazing - no way could I resist them! But the best bit was I felt so comfortable there - it's really informal and they make you feel so very welcome. So what if the rooms may be a little dated; they are very clean & are being updated one by one, and anyway it all adds to the charm of the place! I can't wait to go back and next time I will book a longer stay. It's also perfectly situated for popping in to Inverness when you want city time - great bus service from front of hotel, but you are just across the bridge in the peace and tranquility of a wee village by the water. Took me about 20 minutes to the airport too, so a very convenient base overall.

Room Tip: The view from the front facing rooms is just incredible - a paradise for dolphin watchers!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Marilyn C
Ely, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Even the organising of a cup of tea and 2 hot chocolates seemed to be beyond the capabilities of this bunch!

We stopped off at the tourist information centre above and walked down (seemingly!) hundreds of steps because we fancied a hot drink.

Ordered our drinks at the bar, paid the pleasant young lady for them and then went outside to sit and look at the view, there were 4 other people just finishing up drinking outside and there was no other customers in the place.

At least 20 minutes later we were still sat there 'beverage free' so we went back to the bar where we overheard 2 of the male cooks (one of whom could give Gordon Ramsey lessons in swearing) having a row, the waitress seemed reluctant to go anywhere near the kitchen whilst this was going on which may explain our lack of drinks!

Needless to say, we asked for our money back and made a swift exit, never to return, avoi
best avoided I think.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
dingwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Came here by accident as where I was going didn't have tables.we arrived after they had finished serving sunday roasts.still the food and service was good would deffo go back..the fish in the beer batter was amazing and as I didn't want mushy peas I got garden peas lovely.someone else on my table had the scampi,well king prawns they weren't a success as it wasn't liked very much,but it was our choice to order.on the whole was really enjoyable but next time I'm going to try and b in time for the roast

• Stayed August 2012
Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We are travelling in our motorhome with my mother. Stopped at North Kessock at the car park to watch the dolphins and booked mother into North Kessock Hotel opposite. The owners, Cilla & Dennis couldn't have been more helpful. Due to my motorhome being hit by a land rover and losing a wing mirror we were unsure as to the length of stay required(whilst we enquired at the Fiat garage). Staff were very helpful also and the food was excellent. Mother's room was spotless and very comfortable. Excellent TV on the wall to watch the Olympics!
Can recommend this hotel but sadly - be aware all rooms are upstairs and there isn't a lift.

Room Tip: Room 2. Corner room with double sea view. Can see the dolphins coming with the tide!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank topsy1048
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Do not go near this dump. The only thing going for it is the view from the carpark across the road. The waitress was trying her best but wasting her time. Warm flat coke. Warm lager. Frozen stale bread. Dry tasteless fish. A menu from 1970. Poor poor show. Broken chairs. Odd smell. Never again.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank zigzogbigdog
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Husband suggested a treat on way home from Inverness, we called in to the Kessock Hotel. Nice welcome - table was set for four with an abundance of glasses we did not need and no one removed. Service was prompt and polite. Food arrived and looked amazing very well presented but unfortunately it lacked flavour or taste. King prawns cooked in batter (Scampi) nice idea but prawns were dry and tasteless and not enhanced by tartare sauce - homemade chips looked great - how can a chip be tasteless. Not cheap. Will not go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Coul House Hotel
Coul House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Contin
5.0 of 5 stars 648 reviews

Been to North Kessock Hotel? Share your experiences!