All reviews south africa kruger national park bird life keep coming back wonderful weekend marian vegan labyrinth hosts johannesburg decor accommodation taste cuisine log cooking feeling
Reviewed March 15, 2016

My husband and I visited Old Joe's for our anniversary weekend. We fell in love with the place the minute we walked up to the entrance and were welcomed by a huge spider in a beautiful web hanging above the front door. We found ourselves back to nature. Simplicity and old world charm at its best. Beautiful gardens, friendly helpful staff, and our absolute favourite part was the food. Out of this world cooking by Mariaan, breakfast/lumch and dinner all a feast for the eyes and tastebuds! Beautifully prepared and served dishes, each a melt in your mouth experience. We were so relaxed, rejuvenated and stuffed by the end of the weekend. One of our new favourite places! We will be back very soon.

Room tip: Avoid rooms too close to the road as it can be noisy.
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
KaiaOfJoe, Public Relations Manager at Old Joe's Kaia, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2016

We are so happy to here that you love our resident mosquito eaters as much as we do! Our haven is such a treasure to us, and it warms our hearts to know that you two found sanctuary in our perfect piece of paradise. Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed it!

Reviewed March 13, 2016 via mobile

We stopped here for one night on our way to Kruger and Safari. It was a very pleasant experience and the food and wine astonishing. Soooo good! It's the perfect place to stay when heading north from Joburg to Kruger! Nice and comfortable rooms and beautiful surroundings to enjoy before dinner or breakfast!

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank AnnickaP

Thank you for your review! We love to spoil and delight and hope that next time is at least a two - nighter for you.

Reviewed March 4, 2016

Being a lover of everything that isn't Vegan, I was slightly apprehensive about the new Vegan ways at Old Joe's. That changed about 2 seconds after taking my first bite. How could anything that didn't contain cheese or meat taste this good? The answer didn't really matter after taking the second bite, I just wanted more!

Keep an open mind about the new menu and you might just be in for a delicious surprise.

The grounds seem to grow more beautiful every time I visit and hosts more friendly and welcoming.

I can't wait to go back.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends

Wow! How fabulous that you came to stay and tried our restaurant with such an open mind regardless of how much you love non vegan food. Thank you for writing such a glowing report on the delicious and nutritious fare that found its way to your plate. Please do come back soon and explore our ever expanding menu.

Reviewed March 1, 2016

I only stayed at Joe's for 1 night on my way to the Kruger Park. Unfortunately I had booked the wrong night of my stay. Julia and Paul were most accommodating and very kind to arrange a log cabin on the night I did arrive. The log cabin was very comfy and quiet. I did not manage to see to much of the surrounds as much welcome rain came down that afternoon, so a peaceful afternoon siesta sufficed. It is however a great area to explore with lush gardens and interesting birding. The lodge was very busy with both foreign and local visitors and everyone seemed very relaxed and comfortable. The 3 course diner was absolutely great, both tasty and filling. Slept the night quite content and continued my journey most relaxed. Joe's is definitely worth another visit for more than one night.

Room tip: Try a Log Cabin
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
KaiaOfJoe, Front Office Manager at Old Joe's Kaia, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2016

Hi Kelvin,

We are glad we could accommodate you for the evening and thank you for the review. You are most welcome to visit us again and come to enjoy the surrounds and birds.

Mariam, Paul and the Old Joe's Kaia team

Reviewed December 20, 2015

Stayed here for 2 lovely nights - what a great place! Set in the most beautiful gardens with a fantastic labyrinth to walk in, especially early morning when all the beautiful birds are out. We stayed in room 2, which is comfortable, with a decent bathroom, tea/coffee making facilities and a comfortable bed (surrounded by a mozzie net). Unfortunately, there is no air con in this room, but the ceiling fan did a fairly decent job. Our friends were in room 1, which was virtually identical but has air con. It was very hot, so think they had the better deal!
Marian, Paul and others in their family are fabulous hosts, always ready with helpful suggestions of where to go, what to do etc, without being obtrusive.
The food was exceptionally good! We enjoyed both breakfasts and dinners immensely and the wine list is extensive. Marion suggestions were spot on.
The shaded swimming pool was so welcome in the baking heat and a decent size.
There is wifi in the communal areas but not in the rooms.
Would I recommend Old Joe's Kaia - in a flash!

Room tip: Room 1 has air con.
Date of stay: December 2015