“Virtually perfect”
Review of Ardeonaig Hotel

Ardeonaig Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardeonaig
Reviewed October 6, 2013

When I think back to hotels and restaurants I have given 5 stars to, I really ought to give Ardeonaig Hotel and restaurant at least 6 stars.

The food was outstanding. The 6 course taster menu started with canapés followed by a goat cheese and apple starter followed by 3 courses of halibut, partridge and venison, a pineapple pannacotta to refresh the palette ending with chocolate desert with raspberry sorbet. All fabulous and beautifully presented.

Best of all though was the very attentive service. I am disabled and despite having a myriad of strange requests, all were achieved politely and quickly. If they can look after me so well, they can help most people. We were looked after by the same young man in a smart suit both with our requests in our bedroom and as a waiter so he felt like our own personal member of staff. The sharp suits that the staff wore somehow made us feel that we looked after by the highest level

Once you get over the initial shock of there being not only no wifi, but no TV or radio either, you relax and read or listen to the bird song.

We were strongly recommended to visit by my son and I strongly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank goldeng1rl

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was worried after the owner of a B&B warned me off and had read those bad reviews. However, it was one of the best accommodation experiences I've had in a long time. Upgraded me to room with gorgeous view of the loch and Ben Lawers (including from the bathtub!). Sat in the warm lovely library reading and looking out at view while wonderful beer brought to me. Dinner experience was truly an experience - 6 courses, exquisite, a long, relaxed, very pleasant experience. Breakfast was 3 courses! This is not for people in a rush, but for someone looking to really relax. Enjoyed walking down to the loch on the grounds. Yes, this place costs more but I think it was totally worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank travelsonweekends71
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel is lovely, food is fantastic, service is great and the rooms are very comfortable. If you can push the boat out stay in the individual huts in the grounds of the hotel. You need a car to explore the surrounding area. Fantastic weekend so relaxing.

Room Tip: The huts in the grounds are lovely!
2  Thank Nicky B
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We came across this place quite by accident on the way from Killin to Aberfeldy. They advertised lunch on signs outside but we did not read the small print that you had to book two days in advance for lunch. Nevertheless, after brief negotiation with the staff, they welcomed us to lunch and it was a superb meal in a beautiful room with excellent service from friendly staff.

We cannot comment on the accommodation since we were staying elsewhere but this place would be hard to beat.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Leonthewolf
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Ardeonaig is a seventeenth century coaching inn with fine dining. Reviewers should remember this when nit-picking and not realising what the hotel is trying to achieve.
If you want a reception populated by staff, rooms all the same and a choice of ten types of food, go to a Marriott or a Sheraton.
So the combination of spectacular location, historic atmosphere, first class food and very friendly staff is what I remember about my visit.
I'll be back!

Room Tip: there is no pool or fitness centre either but there are in the Marriotts in the big cities
2  Thank Graeme F
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel was a comedy of opposites, conflict, chronic shortcomings however it was simply adorable, superb ways which overshadowed the challenges in its dedication to getting things perfect.
I would describe it as a "newly born antelope struggling to get its spindly legs up and operational in order to run with the herd".
The management could not have done more in making my wife and I comfortable.
Their attentive attitude of couldn't do enough for the guests was palpable.
The attention to the gastronomic delights was fantastic creative, taste sensations and an adventure with every mouthful and meal served. 2kgs in 4 days!!! says it all. The food was simply sensational. 3 hour dinners was frustrating to me as I am used to finishing everything in a blur. I so enjoyed 'smelling the roses' and chatting to my wife for hours on end with the candlelight as our friend.
The Hotel has in recent years gone through a torrid time with ownership changes and the resurgence has to my mind not been an easy resurrection. The hotel itself was in need of more general dusting vacuuming and overall cleanliness I found a negative.
The Sheilling away from the hotel at first was kinda strange with an African theme? As an African myself it felt really out of place and a cheap option all supplied from one furniture supplier in South Africa.
No TV!! this actually turned out to be a great feature for my wife and I. The bed very comfy and all things nice. The bathroom was generous and well appointed. Tons of fluffy warmed towels and luxury toiletries provided.
Fully air-conditioned and romantic with the mountain stream running alongside the Sheilling.
All in all I would recommend the hotel to our friends for something really quite different.

Room Tip: Ask for a Sheilling. Confirm your bookings via receipt of email confirmation and respond to make tri...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We made a telephone booking to stay at this hotel. As they did not have the category of room available that we requested they offered to upgrade us to a Sheiling. We were very much looking forward to our visit, the final stage of a three centre trip to Scotland. Shortly before we were due to travel we realised that we did not have email confirmation of our reservation. We made numerous calls to the hotel but could not get through. An answering machine message was left for them to return our call. They did not. Eventually we spoke to someone who had no record of our booking. No Shieling rooms were available for the period that we wanted to stay and no apology was offered. We booked to stay elsewhere which was most inconvenient and not easy at short notice. Clearly this hotel needs a booking system and they need to answer the phone.

Noting another similar review, we suggest that if you have made a booking that you double check the hotel do have a record of it !

5  Thank MFC17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardeonaig
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Lochearnhead
Kenmore Hotel
Kenmore Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kenmore

Been to Ardeonaig Hotel? Share your experiences!