“A special day indeed”
Review of Ardeonaig Hotel

Ardeonaig Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardeonaig
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My special birthday launch for 14 friends and family - including a young baby - had been planned with military precision for months. I have to confess that it was just a bit worrying to turn up and find that there was no power to cook lunch! But I am so glad that we waited to see if it would be back on when the power company suggested it might. The wait was certainly worth it and we were royally entertained by Duncan the piper (what a great surprise from my sister and friends), and by manager James and Chris with the sabrage opening of the champagne. With the excitement I hadn't really taken in what was involved until my friend (the champagne afficionado!) explained and I thought great, would love to see it. Lets have another bottle.....or two! Then the procession through the hotel, and lunch itself which was superb and well worth the wait. Everyone really enjoyed the food. My thanks to Head Chef David Maskell, the team in the kitchen and waiting staff. A thoroughly enjoyable day and a birthday to remember. As I explained to Chris I chose Ardeonaig as my two walking friends and I had staggered in from the boggy hill on the other side of the road on our way to Kenmore a few years ago. We thought then - civilisation! We had some refreshments and thought we must come back. And so we have but without the walking boots. James were the manager then, and though the hotel has changed hands since then the standards are just as high.
I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: We had lunch and didn't stay, but the rooms looked fabulous.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here for two nights with my girlfriend. We were greeted like coming back home after the 8 hours driving from London and finally arriving in the evening. The hotel manager Chris spoke out my name as soon as he opened the door up. Perhaps it was because we were the only Chinese couple but still it made us feel warm. We had three meals there at the hotel restaurant, one dinner and two breakfasts - we wanted to say, each and every course was very well cooked and served, ingrediants were the most fresh ones! The hotel manager James and Chris were very friendly and helpful introducing the local facilities to us. And the other staff there are too very nice.

The only thing, if that might concern you as well, is that there is no TV and wireless connection in the room. So a bit too peaceful for us during the night. But everything else, whichever they provide at the hotel, they do it with the top quality!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My one and only complaint about Ardeonaig is the almost niggardly food portions. I am not a huge eater ,nor is my wife ,but I have to say ,I would love to go here with a few friends, but to be honest ,I don't think they would have enough to eat. James and his staff are ,as always ,perfection in service. The ambience created by his team is second to none. We stayed in the newly named shielings, or is it sheilings ? I'm not quite sure, but however you spell it they are out of this world. If you're looking for first class service, and a total switch off, this is the place for you. Just bear in mind you may be a little hungry later on. ENJOY.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

looking for somewhere special to spend my big 80 along with the young ones from USA, I was
impressed by reports on Tripadvisor which suggested that this was somewhere special.
I rang the hotel and was fortunate to speak to Rodney, Director of the company,who was in house on a routine visit.
When I explained that six of us were looking for something special for the occasion , Rodney immediately went into superdrive. He promised something special and that was what we got.
The loch view rooms,(Including Superior for Dad and Mum Crinkly) were outstanding .Food was
amazing, the seven course tasting menu has to be seen to be believed.Service throughout the stay was faultless.
Suddenly being 80 didn't seem to be too bad .No more saving up for old age ,save up for more visits to Ardeonaig.
Silverstrand

Room Tip: This is a case of "You get what you pay for" but there are no bad rooms .Having been show...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bensoncSkipton
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed this treat. The service from James and colleagues was superlative. The attention to detail makes other hotels pale. The food in particular was a real joy. The seven course tasting menu was one of the culinary experiences of my life. Everything was helped by clement weather. It is expensive but given the extraordinary level of service and the high quality accommodation, it is worth it. We were lucky enough to stay in a sheiling by a burn: it was magnificent to go to sleep listening to the river.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed in the 2nd floor room right next to the library - phantastic views of the Loch! Note: the bathroom is open to the bedroom and there is no A/C, so I can imagine this room getting hot in the summer. Also, Internet is only available in the hotel lounge. Food and service was excellent, very nice experience over all.

Room Tip: Stayed in the 2nd floor room right next to the library - phantastic views of the Loch. Note: the bat...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Ardeonaig in August 2011 for 3 nights as part of a trip to Scotland and the Lake District. We booked this hotel on the strength of its Trip Advisor reviews, and we certainly weren't disappointed. I have never experienced service as warm, welcoming and attentive as we were given by James, Chris and the rest of the Ardeonaig team.

Ardeonaig is set in a beautiful location on the banks of Loch Tay; we stayed in a loch view double room and enjoyed stunning views throughout our trip. The dining room offered similar views; it was great to look out on the loch every morning whilst eating breakfast and planning our day's activities (and you definitely do need to plan a lot of walking and cycling - not just to experience the loch, but also to work off the gorgeous breakfasts and dinners!).

The communal areas were very cosy; I fell in love with the well-stocked library, but we also spent a lot of time relaxing in the lounge. The hotel offers free WiFi which only really reaches the lounge area, but the connection was strong enough for us to use our iPad to plan journeys etc.

A couple of words on food and drink. Firstly, we had been unsure whether to pre-book the dinner, bed and breakfast rate, but once we arrived and discovered the hotel is 7 miles along a single track road we decided it seemed a bit pointless travelling miles in the opposite direction for dinner. It would also be very difficult to find food to beat Ardeonaig's offering, so the DBB rate is definitely the best option. Secondly, if you feel like a bottle of champagne during your stay, make sure you try the sabrage - a great (if slightly risky!) way to start your evening.

Room Tip: It's only about £40 more to book a loch view room - the stunning scenery definitely makes this w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardeonaig
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Kinloch Rannoch
Clachan Cottage Hotel
Clachan Cottage Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lochearnhead

Been to Ardeonaig Hotel? Share your experiences!