Review Highlights
wonderful scenery,

Awesome piece of coastline, with great views to the northern orkney isles, we saw seals and a... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Simpson427
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Make sure to wall Mull Head in full

A visit to the Mull Head Nature Reserve in Deerness comes in 3 parts. First the short walk to the... read more

Reviewed July 13, 2019
thetravelinghowards
Bucks
via mobile

All reviews the cliff car park sea level wild flowers rock formations sunny day interesting geology well worth the trip short walk cave collapsed brough puffins path waves nesting fulmars
Selected filters
Reviewed May 19, 2019 via mobile

We walked for about an hour and a half in this area. The terrain is a little undulating, but was very easy to walk on.

We enjoyed the interesting geology, the coastal views, the birds and the general peace and quiet.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed April 20, 2019

We enjoyed a delightful walk to the Gloup, an ancient geological cave like opening in the earth down to the sea resulting from 400 million old red sandstone being carved by the waves. Walking on out to the nature reserve cliffs there were fulmers and kittiwakes nesting, Plus, all through the area there were many wild flowers. A very peaceful, beautiful spot.

Reviewed September 9, 2018

The Mull Head circuit was included in both of the Orkney walk books available in our holiday house. We parked near the Visitor Centre but didn't go there as we have been before. The first stop is the Gloup (which we had first seen over 40 years ago): it is most spectacular if the weather is stormy, and since it was a fine calm day, we did not linger. The good cliff top path takes you to the Broch of Deerness: this involves a detour with a descent to sea level and then a climb along a vertiginous-looking path (albeit with handrails) - we decided to omit this bit, but saw plenty visitors going and returning safely!
The cliff top path then continues right to Mull Head and then on to the other side of the promontory where there are excellent views northwards to Tankerness and the islands beyond. There are options, of varying lengths, for return routes to the car park.
The whole walk is marked by spectacular scenery and plenty bird watching opportunities.
And when you have completed it, I suggest that you do as we did and visit the recently opened Deerness Distillery (gin and vodka).

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank Scotty062
Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

I love all the rock formations on Mull Head - fossilised lake bed and rippled sand. The Gloup at the beginning of the walk is spectacular though a little scary but the cliff top stroll is beautiful in dry weather. It’s worth the climb up onto the Brough and then I’d rather return via the cliffs than across the moor. I would suggest taking a Picnic because there’s only the little grocers at Deerness to get any food and drinks.

Reviewed July 12, 2018 via mobile

We came here on our last day on the island. My wife was looking for places to go on our map. She saw the star for the Gloup. When we arrived and parked up we looked at the boards ect but were confused as to where the Gloup was. No signs were visible. We went into the visitors centre which informed us of what we could see. I was very excited to note that 6 Puffins had been spotted that day. Because we were confused and saw no signs for the Gloup we headed off in th wrong direction. I knew from the map we could also visit the Brough of Deerness and the Mull Head. About a mile into the walk around the Mull I spotted a small bird with an orange beak and thought could that be a Puffin. With my long lens on my camera I surmised it was. I was some 100 yards away and tried to get closer. I moved closer and was now looking right down over the cliff edge. Something startled it and it divided into the water. I quickly snapped away and got several excellent pics for my collection. We moved further around the Mull and came to the Brough. I was in awe as I love anything carved out of the landscape over millions of years. I proceeded to photograph this rock and then took the precarious climb down and up onto the Brough. We then proceeded around the Mull and subsequently came across the Gloup which is a sea cave which its roof has collapsed in. You can clearly see the opening out to the sea. Our only criticism is that the map on the board didn't point with an arrow to the Gloup, as people who had never been here before we didn't know what we were looking for so detailed mapping could have saved my wife the 3 mile walk she ended up doing.

1  Thank ducati749r