“Helpful with everything”
Review of Casa Linda

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Andres Huayapam
Casa Linda
North Carolina
“Helpful with everything”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I am just back from eleven nights at Casa Linda. I stayed in the Casita off to myself. I really enjoyed the private quiet time since my life is generally very busy. The purpose of my trip was to replace several rugs that had been water-damaged as well as to purchase some drapes and tablecloths. Linda's help was so valuable. She knew much more about what I needed to consider for these purchases than I did. She knew the artisans so well that several offered discounts without my even asking. I arrived in Oaxaca already becoming ill with an infection - nothing to do with Mexico at all - and she obtained excellent medical care for me immediately with no fuss so I was able to heal and enjoy my stay. Her primary focus throughout was to facilitate my projects and help me be comfortable. Couldn't have been better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed in Linda's lovely home, and through her personal connections, met local artists and artisans engaged in weaving, pottery, rug making and other crafts. Came away with a profound appreciation for folk art and artists’ alignment with their craft, their harmony with nature, in addition to purchase of some unique treasures. Would recommend Linda and her tours to anyone interested in “getting off the beaten path” for a unique experience and exposure to artists, sites and ruins in the region. Linda is a gracious host, very flexible, generous with her time and knowledge, and will customize touring to fit client’s interests. Enjoyed delicious breakfasts each day. Can’t wait to return to Linda's home and further exploration of Oaxaca!

Room Tip: Lovely rooms in her home, and additional room off the garden. (Fitness Center is N/A above)
Berkeley, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Casa Linda is in the small town of San Andres Huayapam, outside of Oaxaca. Linda Hanna is the owner and is a remarkable, friendly, knowledgeable woman with a house and garden full of fine local art, many items made especially for her by local artisans. Her breakfasts are fantastic, the rooms are lovely, her artisan tours are exceptional. She seems to be on close friendly terms with all the people she visits on her tours, and they all seem to welcome her and her guests with warmth. She is very considerate of any special interests her guests have. I was interested in the dye, cochineal, so she took us to a place where it is grown and processed, which I never could have visited without her help. Her village, San Andres Huayapam, is also very interesting with many small, rustic eating places and corner stores for simple necessities. It is on a hill with roads leading up and out into the country, lovely for morning and evening walks and with great views of the surrounding countryside. I cannot imagine a prettier or more comfortable place to stay nor a more knowledgeable or pleasant person to show me around.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I spent six nights at Casa Linda in June, 2013. I was traveling with a friend, and at the same time, there were two other women in the double room. We all have roots in the Bay Area, were about the same age, and generally, had a wonderful time.

I stayed in the blue room in the main house and had exclusive use of the mermaid bathroom right next door. Breakfasts were generous and contained lots of fresh fruit, which I enjoyed. Fresh tomales on Sunday!

Linda says that Oaxacan folk art feeds her soul, and she truly lives her passion! Her home is full of treasures, and I've never seen so much art displayed so artfully! Truly, every time I went back into a given space, I'd see something new and different. She also has a lot of books about the folk arts, as well as a number of travel guides, all of which are available to her guests.

While her home is truly lovely and she makes one feel at home, for me, the real treasure was the daily tours that all five of us took together. (Note that her touring rates are by the hour, divided by how many she has. With four of us, they were exceedingly reasonable.) Linda knows so many artisans and took us to their homes where she was greeted with open arms. We got demonstrations of how they create their crafts as well as an opportunity to purchase them. It's hard for me to believe how she has learned the countryside so well, for some of these places are not easy to find. We typically left her home about 10:00 am and ended the day with a mid-afternoon meal at some interesting restaurant. I have some dietary restrictions, and she remembered them and helped me select food that work for me, which I truly appreciated. These days were wonderful and full, and I shall remember them always. I truly doubt that one can have these kinds of experiences without a private tour guide, and Linda is the best!

We also spent two days in Oaxaca, seeing the sights that we chose. I enjoyed some of these, but not nearly as much as our tours of the villages. On our final day, we stopped at Monte Alban on our way to the airport. Linda does her best to make things work for everyone, and she did.

At night she provided some snacks and a game that we all enjoyed playing together. Being there was like being a part of a wonderful sisterhood of like-minded women, and I thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie, as well as the atmosphere and the tour treats.

As someone else has already noted, Linda has four dogs that are well trained and loveable. But dogs do bark occasionally, and they did--hers and some at the neighbors.

Additionally, please note that she does not take credit cards in payment. I got caught short in this respect.

Room Tip: The casita offers more privacy. I enjoyed being in the house. There is no fitness center or pool.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed with Linda last September of 2012, and yes, you really are staying at Linda's house. It is a homey treasure-trove of folk art, with Linda's dazzling collection of diverse styles and media from the surrounding areas. Linda really is an expert on art and where to find just about anything you can think of. She is bilingual and knows everyone. Literally. Everyone.

We rented a car and drove around ourselves, so did not take a tour with Linda, but she still gave us incredibly detailed directions for how to find some obscure things we were looking for and who to talk to, even helped us find an artist we were interested in to commission some sculptures. She had no problem calling around for us and tracking things down, and giving us solid pointers for where to go to find what we were looking for. I can see how her guided tour would be extremely helpful for buyers without a lot of time to wander. We kind of prefer the adventure of finding things ourselves, but I would consider having Linda bring us around if we were in a hurry or were doing volume buying. It also helps if you need someone to translate or help determine fair prices. I know all of the folks Linda works with give discounts to her guests because she brings so many people to them. She does not take a commission on purchases, either, so the prices will probably be the best when you shop with her.

Breakfast was very nice. One day Linda prepared it herself, but when she had other guests another morning she had someone come in to cook. Both were really good. She was really a warm and accommodating host and very welcoming to our toddler, even had ready some toys for him to borrow. Our son, who had just turned three, had a blast. I think he found Linda's home the most comforting of all the places we stayed because of the friendly dogs, sculpture-filled patios and nice little fenced property.

A few notes on Huayapam and staying with Linda, to give an accurate understanding of what one is in for when selecting this as a lodging option:

1. There is nothing in Huayapam. Well, I'm sure the citizens of Huayapam would disagree and even resent that, but really, there is no food, no stores, no restaurants, no place to really walk unless you are looking for a quiet walk in the country. It's very rural and unless you are completely fluent and want to just get out and talk to locals, not a whole lot going on there. Linda will bring you into Oaxaca or surrounding areas for meals, etc., if you want, but Huayapam is not a hopping place.

2. Linda's is not really what we generally think of as a B & B. Yes, there is a bed, and yes, there is breakfast, but really you are a guest at Linda's house. The whole appeal is the experience of being able to talk to Linda, view her collection, and find some amazing art yourself. If you are used to being pampered or are expecting cushy linens or fancy soaps, you will be disappointed. If you absolutely require a luxury experience, stay in Oaxaca and see if Linda is available for a day tour.

3. We stayed in the Casita, separate from the house. It is a small, no frills little place. I might even call it rustic. There were spiders that Linda assured us were harmless, and you know what, they really were harmless! Just hung out on the walls, didn't bother us. But... if you REALLY don't dig spiders, the Casita may not be for you. Also, there was a neighboring dog that barked a lot at night. Don't know if that's an everyday thing, I think Linda may have mentioned that it was not typical and the dog was just visiting, but it was annoying for me as a light sleeper. I might recommend staying in Linda's house in one of the inside rooms where it is likely to be quieter unless you can determine that the little yipper right next door really is gone.

4. Linda has several dogs of her own. They are very sweet and friendly, but you are basically staying with dogs, too, as a guest at Linda's. We are dog people, so it was fine for us, but you should be aware of this if you are fearful or not particularly fond of dogs.

The whole charm of the place and the experience is Linda. She's a wonderful person with a wealth of experience and knowledge, and incredibly generous with her time and information. If you go to Linda's with that in mind, you will have a wonderful time and come away with some treasures, nice memories, and a brilliant new friend.

Room Tip: Might recommend staying in an inside room instead of in the Casita that is separate from the house.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rio Rico, Arizona
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is my second visit to Casa Linda and this time I stayed for one month with the goal of studying Spanish conversation and getting a sense of village life in Huayapam. Both expectations were met, and I am already dreaming of returning to Linda Hanna's beautiful home and experiencing the richness of Oaxacan life. Each morning I took an 8 minute walk up the road to Francisco's house and sat for 1 1/2 hours in his charming garden learning how to converse in Spanish. Linda arranged for me to meet her delightful neighbor, Francisco, and he was an articulate, intelligent teacher for me when learning Spanish conversation. Afterwards I enjoyed Linda's sumptuous breakfasts, with banana leaf mole negro tamales topping the list as my favorite breakfast. Linda always had freshly squeezed orange juice and Mexican pastries from a local panaderia. For several Sundays we walked to her neighbor's home and watched the family preparing these incredible tamales---a Sunday tradition in the village.

Touring the surrounding villages and meeting the local artisans filled my days. Of course the back roads and dusty alley-ways were part of the adventure. We went to fiestas, indigenous markets, and participated in the Easter procession through Oaxaca as well. My month in Oaxaca was filled with art, music, crafts, food, and Spanish lessons.

If you want to see a Mexico where tourists never go, I highly recommend staying at Casa Linda. If you want to just stay in her gardens for days on end and relax, this is the place as well. You get it all at Casa Linda----rest or stimulation, whatever you prefer. Plus, Linda is a fascinating and tireless host.

I stayed in the casita, separate from the house, during my month-long visit---the perfect place to retreat. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, stay in the main house. The casita involves climbing a few steps on a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We did not stay at Casa Linda, but we visited the house and we took one of Linda's tours. In addition, we plan on staying there on our future visits to Oaxaca.

We learned about Casa Linda from a man at our hotel in Mexico City who told us that staying at Casa Linda and taking a tour with Linda really made his trip to Oaxaca great. After such a shining recommendation we decided to call her on our first day in Oaxaca City. She happened to be free the next day for a tour and she picked us up at 8:30 from our hotel in the city. We decided to visit her house first to get an idea of the art that we were interested in seeing (we were advised to do this by the man in Mexico City who told us that she is modest about her collection, but that it’s really worth a look). If you are just taking a tour and not staying at Linda's house, I would highly recommend going there in the morning and looking at her art collection and her books. Linda has a wonderful collection of Oaxacan art and she knows the artists personally and can tell you about where each type of art is made and who makes it. We spent some time looking around her house and really got a better idea of what there was to buy and where we were interested in going. Since we missed breakfast at our hotel due to our early start, she heated up some tamales for us while we looked around - which were delicious and very much appreciated.

We decided we were most interested in visiting ceramic artists, alebrije artists and tin artists. We visited around 8 different artists and a cochineal farm and also stopped for a delicious lunch in one of the towns (cooked by a Frida Khalo look a like no less!). In the end, we bought five small alebrijes, a textile and ordered a ceramic piece and a tin piece. We also learned a lot about Oaxacan art and had a lot of fun. We really could not have visited all of the artists without Linda's help. Most of them do not have any work available in town and only sell out of their houses, which are hard to find. Linda told us about their work and how different styles have developed over the years. She also helped us order pieces and is helping us get them back to the states.

Although we were able to purchase a few pieces we really love and bring them home, we discovered that many of the artists do not have a lot of pieces available for you to buy and that if you want something specific you have to order it and have it shipped to you, brought to you or return to Oaxaca to get it (you can also order it beforehand, which we may consider doing in the future). We would not have been able to purchase two of the items without Linda's help because we wouldn't have been able to get them to the states.

If you are interested in buying Oaxacan art and meeting artists, I would highly recommend going on a tour with Linda. I would also recommend staying at Casa Linda. Her house is very nice and is much quieter than Oaxaca City. We plan to stay there in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Boutique Parador San Miguel Oaxaca
Marialicia Suites
Marialicia Suites
#2 of 113 in Oaxaca

Been to Casa Linda? Share your experiences!