“An inspirational week”
Review of Casa Linda

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Andres Huayapam
Casa Linda
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Three friends and I spent a week traveling with Linda Hanna throughout Oaxaca. Linda is a very knowledgable, amiable guide. Her willingness to share her adventurous spirit inspired us and led us on a memorable journey into remote corners of the state of Oaxaca. I will remember her fondly for years to come. I immediately fell in love with her B&B, filled with fantastic folk art, each with a special story about the piece and the artist. If you're considering a trip to Oaxaca, this is a guide to use and charming place to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms were each very quiet looking out to her gardens. There's a private casita detached fro...

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We four women arrived on a Friday night and were met by our hostess/guide and 'comadre' Linda Hanna for the beginning of nine days of art, adventure, and exotic experience in the state of Oaxaca, MX. Our accommodations were ideal for us. The bewitching home is filled with colorful folk art and every morning it was a discovery to see something I'd not noticed the previous day. During the coming days we were fortunate to meet many of the artists, weavers and other artisans that were the creators of many of the works of art.
Each morning at Casa Linda when we awoke there was fresh coffee, tea and pastries awaiting us, followed by a delicious breakfast often served in the cool garden. The rooms and bathrooms were ideal for a B & B except they far surpassed expectations in the decor! There was always hot water for showers and the patio and gardens surrounding the home & casita provided a wonderful escapist feeling. The breezes in the evening were relaxing even though there was surrounding noise at night; we were grateful for the earplugs in the nightstand drawer, which allowed a peaceful rest.
During the week Linda took us to many remote places in the state and we were able to see the artisans at work in their homes. So many adventures would take too long to relate and we wouldn't want to spoil a trip for others by revealing too much. It is better to let each of you experience Oaxaca, Casa Linda and Linda Hanna for yourself!

1  Thank Norma P
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I first fell in love with Linda{s home filled with Virgens de Guadalupe, glorious textiles, fabulous Oaxacaña fashions (vintage and new) and a huge collection of the finest folk art....but then I fell in love with Linda as hostess, guide and friend. She inspires others with her love of the art and artists of Oaxaca. As I reflect on my time, I am so grateful for the many opportunities made available to us...a great window into a exquisite variety of places and people we could never have seen on our own, and in a relatively short period of time. Your grace and patience is infinite...as well as your energy. And there is more....comfortable rooms, delicious food, relaxed environment. An added bonus was the trip to a shelter for Central American migrants. For all of this I am grateful, and highly recommend any or all of these experiences.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

From the moment she picked us up at the airport, Linda was the perfect hostess. We were made to feel completely welcome in her beautiful, cozy home yet provided with plenty of privacy. Casa Linda is stunningly decorated: every niche seems to contain a beautiful example of local art. The location is a few minutes out of the city but this has the advantage of being peaceful and quiet, plus Linda provided us with a ride into and out of town during the day. The generous breakfasts were delicious and we were also taken to small, out of the way eateries to try local dishes (including a highly memorable Cafe de la Diabla)

We enjoyed a day of touring local folk artists with Linda. Her expert eye was an immense help in choosing high quality pieces and the prices were very reasonable, especially compared to the shops in town. She took us to out of the way places that we would never have found on our own and explained the traditions and techniques regarding the pieces that we bought, which has made them even more special.

I cannot recommend a stay and tour with Linda highly enough - she is a wonderful person and our time with her was a highlight not only of this Oaxaca trip, but of my travels in general!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I just returned from a week in Oaxaca, Mexico. I have been there at least a dozen times but saw places on this trip that I had never seen before, thanks to the expertise, knowledge, and transportation provided by Linda Hannah, a bi-lingual guide and owner of a beautiful Bed and Breakfast.

Linda can drive you to the usual must-see sites like the Monte Alban and Mitla archeological sites, and the market towns were native peoples have sold and traded since long before Columbus and Cortez arrived in the Americas. But she can also take you to regions and towns in the state of Oaxaca where experienced travelers and even natives of Oaxaca City have never been. We visited the village of Porvenir for the first time and saw the unique embroidery and other work of craftspeople.

Linda also has a great sense of how much conversation you want or do not want during the drives through the Oaxacan countryside and mountains. And as to those views, I try to avoid clichés in general, but breathtaking often fits.

Linda can also recommend restaurants across a wide range of prices and cuisines, ranging from Oaxacan dishes, to vegetarian, to Argentinean grilled steaks.

We did not stay in her B&B because we had already booked into the Hotel Posada Catarina before meeting Linda. We did have a great meal there and it would most certainly be at the top of our list for B&Bs anywhere. By the way, the Catarina is beautiful, spotless, and calm inside with rooms overlooking well-groomed, well-maintained and quiet courtyards. But if you do not have a high tolerance for busy market stalls and real Mexican, non-tourist businesses on the streets right outside your hotel, you would do better staying elsewhere.

Contact information for Linda Hannah/Casa Linda:

Email: linda@folkartfantasy.com

Phone from U.S.: 011-52-951-540-8020

Mexican Cell phone: 044-951-547-6681

1  Thank Mike_Carroll_11
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Sometimes life stops you getting simple things done but finally here is my review of Linda Hanna as a wonderful guide and person!!

I spent 3 full days with Linda during Dec 2011. Linda was truly amazing at fulfilling ALL my folk art shopping wishes! We met with specific artists, visited markets and ruins and enjoyed some great local food experiences that I never would have traveling solo. Our days were long and i can't say enough about the time Linda spent with me and the care she took in helping to get my large shopping purchases packed safely for the plane ride home. Linda's wonderful connections with local artists, thorough knowledge of folk art and love of Oaxaca blended with her as a person is a true gift!

I can highly recommend Linda as a guide and will be using her services on any future trips to Oaxaca. Thanks again Linda. :)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I would say that Casa Linda was as beautiful as a museum, but you might think it stuffy and uncomfortable. Casa Linda is anything but. It is homey and restful and the food is fabulous.

Linda Hana has a gift for fulfilling your wishes. In my case, I was interested in baseball and she produced a bottom-of-the-ninth comeback win for the Oaxaca Guerreros. The seats were cheaper and better than spring training in Arizona. She also knew the magic words to get into a spectacular private museum of baseball art. Just ask, and I'm sure Linda can help you find whatever experience you are looking for.

Our group came in June, the rainy season. It reminded me of Hawaii - dramatic skies, brief rains and negligible inconvenience. All and all just about my best vacation.

Room Tip: There are two rooms in the house proper, both looked lovely. I slept in the casita, very close to t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Linda? Share your experiences!