“Oude Abdij, Lo-Reninge, Belgium” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel "Oude Abdij"

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lo-Reninge
Hotel "Oude Abdij"
Ranked #4 of 5 Lo-Reninge B&B and Inns
Warminster, United Kingdom
“Oude Abdij, Lo-Reninge, Belgium”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband & I were on a battlefield tour travelling with a group and stayed a couple of nights at this hotel next to the church in a small but attractive village. The hotel was in a pretty garden, with a dovecot, a stream and a avery large car parking area. It was unexpectedly large, with a huge dining room, plenty of comfortable seating areas, a very small bar, interesting battlefield exhibits and a quirky lift.
Our room was spacious , simply decorated in light colours with an attractive mural on the ceiling that carried on through the wall into a large bathroom with a good sized shower cubicle and plenty of towels.

The staff spoke good English and were very helpful. We opted to have the set 3 course evening meal - second helpings of soup offered, a substantial main course,[ as a vegetarian they provided an alternative main] delicious food for E16 a head.

Basic options for breakfast but plenty of it- cereals, fruit salad, yoghurts, croissants, pastries, boiled eggs, cold meats and cheeses breads, tea, coffee & juice.

The only negative was that without transport Ypres/Ieper was about 23 kilometres away and when asking about a taxi we were quoted E50 each way.

Would happily stay there again- great value and very comfortable & quiet!

Room Tip: Some rooms have baths with shower attachments - check if you have a preference.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Rosemary W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed with my school for a battlefields for four days and three nights. Food wasn't great however the bedrooms, communal areas and bathroom facilities were good. Thoroughly enjoyed it and it is close to Ypres and perfect for school trips.

Room Tip: The wifi can be slow at times when in demand and is only accessible to rooms downstairs or the odd r...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank 226user47
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Me and my school went on a school trip to Belgium for 3 days and 2 nights.
We stayed at this hotel and before we went I looked at all the reviews about how bad it was and how dirty and rotten it was but I was presently surprised by the hotel.
The hotel was very warming and enjoyable to stay in as the room we stayed in was really nice and clean. There was a few faults about the room such as the lights were very dim and flickered a little, there was no soap in the bathroom but these problems could be worked round.
The food I wasn't particularly pleased with but this was probrally because I'm a fussy eater as alot of people enjoyed it
There was wifi but not very good wifi so everyone moaned but it was fine because it was only 3 days :)
It was ideally located as it was in a good distance with the battlefields
Altogether I enjoyed the hotel :)

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank Chocolatelover C
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I went to Belgium on a School War Graves Trip. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the time away in a beautiful place with my friends, the same cannot be said of this hotel.

PROS AND CONS

Cons: Food was horrible. The soup tasted faintly of urine, and the vegetables tasted strongly of the same, served with flavourless chips. The coffee tasted like dirt, and the lunch was provided was thin ham and cheese on stale bread, and they ran out, so I had to go hungry both days. And the dinner was topped off with a cheap rip off cornetto, yum.
Staff had to be asked 6 times for a jug of water to wash down the awful food.
Hotel was poorly lit and confusing to get around.
While some rooms ( especially the top floor) were relatively nice and had modern bathrooms and we're relatively clean - although one had a hole through to the bathroom of the room below - room 8a, which I stayed in, was abysmal. The tv was hung precariously on the wall and looked unstable, the full size window, whilst good for talking to friends in other rooms, was ridiculously unsafe. The furniture was awful, beds were I comfy, and my bathroom smelt so strongly of mould, with which it was filled, that I vomited.
Had to walk through bar/smoking room to reach the old buildings rooms.
Geese were very loud at night.
Rooms were hot all the time, even with the door sized window fully open.
Very unhygienic.
Poorly staffed.
The lack of fruit ( as the fruit and veg provided was either disgusting, bruised or mouldy) gave me a severe case of diarrhoea and unbearable stomach pains.

Pros: good location for war graves
Some rooms in the old building and most in the annexe were acceptable.
That's about it.

Conclusion: if you really have to stay here,a void room 8A and stick to the Annexe and loft area. Avoid eating in the hotel, me and my friends were going to order a pizza in secret but luckily we got to eat out as even the staff couldn't stand the food. Avoid this hotel, the local city of Reims has many nice hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid room 8A it's disgusting
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Benn B
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

PROS AND CONS OF OUDE ABDIJ

1. The Oude Abdij is located on a dead end with the entrance right next to the ''old abbey'' which is covered with a cluster of graveyards.

2. The area I was staying in, the annexe for school parties, looks over the lake and it absolutely stinks of foul water and dirty geese and swans.

3. The food was alright but was not great quality. Tomato soup starter was particularily salty and tasted like 'pasta bolognaise sauce with water mixed in' (QUOTE FROM A FRIEND).

4. There is wifi access but this is only downstairs and not in the room. You must use the wifi netwrork ''old abbey'' and the passcode ids 12345678. P.S THE INTERNET IS FREE OF CHARGE :D.

5. The room was below standard and could benefit with some updating of the decor in the orange rooms.

6. The televisions in the rooms are extremely fat and had no remote so you have to stand everytime you wish to change a channel, volume etc.

7. Suprisingly the shower was extremely clean but there were no towels, soap and tolietries so bring your own.

8. The bathroom was separate and there was a WC on the other side. This was in my case quite helpful as a few people enjoyed to do their doo's in the loo's 4 or 5 times a day. But for others this maybe an issue.

9. Myself and my 2 friends shared two single beds, pushed the together, and this was due to the amount of bull**** written all over the the frame of the lower bunk bed. Remarks of all sort were written all over and it is distressing to sleep whilst looking and vulgar comments of this nature.

10. There were some used tissues under the bed probably covered with mucus and goodness knows.

11. In the wardrobe there were only 4 hangers but they were all different with some plastic ones broken and other platics ones coiled with wire and cellotape stuck tatily on the hangers.

12. The view was nice in the loft rooms but it was a shame I could bearly see anything through the dirt infested windows. They were covered in a build up of black dirt and dust obstructing the view.]

13. The blind kept falling off as it had been incorrectly inserted but it hang on overall.

14. The hallway lights kept going off making it uncomfortable walking up 2 flights of stairs in the dark. There were some nice lamps in the room so it wasnt too bad.

15. The photos on the website are quite misleading only highlighting the best rooms and not the annexe bit as much.

16. The beds were extremely uncomforable. I woke up with a painful lower back and one of my friends was affected so badly by the discomfort of the beds she did not attend school. The mattresses were extremely uncomfortable.

17. For breakfast it is just an all butter breakfast. There are minimal choices which are;
-croissants
-butter
-margarine
-jam
-peanut spread

Thats it. There was barely any choice and there was a hair in the basket of pain au chocolat. My friends and I lived off our own food as we were sooooooo hungry.

18. Going as a school party we were provided with packed lunches which you make yourself. If there arent enough food you miss out so there was a shortage of food. The packed lunch consisted of;
-baguette (which usually ran out)
-ham and cheese slices
-bread as a baguette substitute
-carton of orange juice
-wafer
-red apple

This was less than satisfactory according to my standards and once again lived off my own snacks and junk.

I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights for a school trip on world war 1. It was overall ok but some points to think about when deciding to go there have been arisen above. Out of 10 i'd give the hotel a 5 out of 10. Even though its not to my taste and had dodgy elements it catered for my basic needs and trust me i've been to much worst. E.G HIPPOTEL, LE TOUQUET. Read that review too if you want.

Room Tip: As I stayed with a school party i was on the side overlooking the lake. Dont stay there because ther...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Mich M
Covetry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Find it hard to reconcile other comments with my experience. This is a fairly basic hotel which offers very good value for money. I don't speak Flemish and some of the staff speak little English; however, all were pleasant and would soon find another staff member speaking excellent English. We were offered loan of maps and given advice as to battlefield sites; also there was no problem with an early meal on the evening on which we wanted to visit the Menin Gate ceremony. The evening meals are set menu but it was always explained what we would get and I assume that an alternative such as an omelette would be rustled up if the set item was not acceptable. The hotel has a library of World War 1 books. I hope to return

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank ddcyclist
Lichfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Firstly, I'd like to express my appreciation for the town who put up with the disgusting hotel you offer to the public. The food was dreadful, with no choice to what you wanted to eat. The portions of meat reminded me of a packet of wafer thin ham. I really think you should book up your idea's before you think about running a hotel. I found pubic hair in the bed sheets and in various places such as the bathroom. The main pillow's and mattress's had stains on. It could of only been either sweat or something I would rather not speak about. All in all, just a terrible place to stay, i will not be coming back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business