We planned a visit to this elephant camp at the very last moment. The original plan was to drive directly to Coorg from Bangalore. The plan changes a bit when we managed to find a cottage for a night. The resort was sold out for the remainder of the weekend. The camp is located approximately 5 hours by road from Bangalore. The drive ends in a dead end at the banks of the Cauvery. You will be taken to the property by boat from the car park.
Similar to all Jungle lodges, the property is large and set amidst serene surroundings with gurgling sounds from the river. The cottages are simple, large and efficient. Given the fact that the same group of people are responsible for serving food, taking you for safari & nature walks as well as maintaining the elephant camp there are fixed timings for every activity. It is advised that guest remain sensitive to that.
A one night itinerary looks something like this.
1. Arrive by noon at the camp. Followed by lunch.
2. Tea early in the evening followed by a safari into the nearby reserve forest. Do note, that this is not a sanctuary like Bandipur or Kabini. Hence, animal sightings may be fairly restricted.
3. Camp fire followed by dinner. Food is simple, but served fresh and delicious. Retire for the night.
1. Start early and head into the forest for a walk with the naturalist.
2. Have breakfast and head for a coracle ride on the river. After rains, coracles are replaced by white water rafts due to increased flow in the river.
3. Head to the elephant camp and spent a quality hour or two engaging in the following activities. Bathing elephants in the river, feeding and riding them.
4. Check out.
Kids would love this place as there is a lot of open space to run about. Not to mention, you could bathe in the gentle stream during summer. One thing that ticked me off was the littering of plastics in the elephant camp. The camp is also open to tourists not staying in the resort. As a result there is not control of littering, specifically plastics. Sometimes I feel that we Indians just do not deserve what nature has offered us. We absolutely lack any respect to us or our surroundings.
Overall, Dubare elephant camp offers a quick getaway from Bangalore and offers good value for you money.
- Also Known As:
- Dubare Elephant Camp Hotel Kushalnagar