“'A Little Gem'”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kirkby House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kirkby Mallory
Kirkby House Hotel
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“'A Little Gem'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

After years of travelling and staying in various budget hotels I decided to cast my net a little wider......What can I say? I found this amazing family run hotel. Apart from the amazing food and lovely rooms it is the welcome that will make me return to this hotel. From the minute I walked in it was like going home. Steven who runs the hotel, was really friendly and happy to chat to me and other guests. There are two lounge areas both with TV's and one with an open fire which was really cosy. There is a restaurant for evening meal and breakfast both of which were great. As I travel for work I found the hotel to be very accessible for my work I have now decided that my days of sitting in my room alone watching a portable TV are over, whenever I'm in the area it's Kirkby House all the way.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MrsH319

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a family run guest house. It is wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble. The room was big as was the bathroom with a corner bath. The rate included dinner which was excellent and the drinks at the bar were reasonable prices. Friendly, very clean & well presented and polite staff. Had great chat and drink with the owner, Would definitely use again when in area.Thanks.

Room Tip: If you go onto the owners web site you can see each room description this might help if you want a r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jennih854
Nottinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Beautiful old house, quite spacious and bigger than your average b & b. Excellent value for money, we had Double ensuite room, BB & EM booked through their own website. Friendly staff, comfy beds, big bedroom's (extremely small shower room though with no bath). Good priced drink's from the bar. Fair choice for evening meal, we chose soup (very good) Burger and chips (average) and cheescake (very good). Cosy place to stay, heard no noise at all from any other room or in the morning which was good. I didn't have breakfast as was still full from meal night before but my husband had full English which did look delicious. Would stay here again and would recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kerri_sweeting
Southampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Something happened to me during this stay that I’ve never experienced before! I strongly suggest that you read this review as I’m sure it’ll have an impact on your decision on whether to stay at Kirkby House or not. In addition to this I think you’ll find it an entertaining, informative and a shocking read!

I booked the Kirkby House the day before arrival and purchased the special offer of a two course meal, a double room and a light breakfast for £69; a very reasonable price for a place with such high reviews. We were just staying the night as my girlfriend had booked me onto a racecar day (Ferrari and Aston Martin) and we coincidently had a funeral the next day.

On making the booking I asked if my light breakfast could be upgraded to a full English. I promptly received a text asking me to call Kirkby House. I did so and was informed that I could have the desired breakfast for an additional cost of £2.50 per person. I didn’t have a problem with this but opted not to pay the extra cost, as I was satisfied with the light breakfast once informed of what it contained. I had also demolished a large number of Easter eggs over the holiday period so needed to be a bit healthier!

We actually arrived at Kirkby House at 2 O’clock, slightly earlier than expected and noted that the check in time wasn’t until 4. I did try my luck, but no one was on the premises so we went to a nearby village for coffee and cake to pass the time. We ventured back to Kirkby at around 3:45, but didn’t think it would matter too much if we were a little early. There was a Range Rover on the premises and the door was open, so I gained access whilst my girlfriend sat in the car reading Heat Magazine. There was no sign of life so I rang the buzzer, as requested on the reception table….no answer. I waited a few minutes, had a gander at the leaflets, which highlight the local attractions and rang the buzzer again. All of a sudden a man appeared, quite disheveled and shocked of my presence. Instead of a warm welcome I was greeted with comments such as “What are you doing here?” “How did you get in?” “You’re early” “The room isn’t ready, the heating isn’t on”. He then told me to collect my belongings whilst he got the room ready. He then turned and said, “you weren’t happy with the breakfast and now you’re early and things aren’t ready”. I didn’t think much of it, so preceded to my car.

As we gathered our possessions I mentioned to my girlfriend about this slightly erratic behavior, but assumed everything would be ok as we entered the building. On entrance it was clear the something was wrong, as the occupant was frantically on the phone, whilst also clicking through the Internet. He ushered us through to his office and explained that we couldn’t stay at Kirkby House. He expanded his statement by suggesting that “it wasn’t worth the risk”. At which point my partner and me looked at each other slightly bemused and dare I say, confused! We had never been greeted in such a manner and were quizzical to say the least. It came to light that he was overly obsessed with the notion that we may leave negative feedback and therefore he wasn’t willing to risk that taking place. Without consultation he said that he was going to phone Laterooms, cancel the booking and find us somewhere else to stay. In the meantime we made our way to the lounge, to what was to be a very uncomfortable 5-minute wait.

Still in shock we still couldn’t quite believe what was going on and felt we could reason with him by suggesting a gentleman’s agreement not to publish feedback. Admittedly I use review sites probably more than I should; not just with hotels, but with restaurants and local attractions. Unfortunately, I rarely post feedback, which is a shame as at times I feel like I use and abuse the system….but in a nice way!

So he (the owner?) came and met us in the lounge muttering to himself about not taking risks and despite our pleas, he stubbornly refused us entry to his lodgings. He proceeded to inform us of the other guesthouse he had found us, but my head was spinning at that point, totally shocked and bewildered at our treatment as guests. As a result I kindly declined his offer, suggesting that we find a hotel that suits us and is closer to the funeral venue, not one that is further away.

Sooooooooo, we spent the next 15 minutes in his car park, frantically trying to find somewhere to stay whilst our iPhone batteries started to diminish. I dare ask for access to Kirkby’s Wi-Fi at this point, as the thought of being accused of hacking into ‘the system’ would not be out of the question going by previous events!

We struggled finding anywhere suitable that was within our budget, so stopped off at the Travelodge on the way into Leicester (Hinckley Road). They politely informed us that they were full but phoned the other Travelodge on the M1 services (Markfield Hotel). It wasn’t quite what we desired, but the customer service was first class and we commented on how nice it was to be wanted for all the right reasons.

It must be noted that I must thank the manager of Kirkby House in some respect, as without his autocratic rule we wouldn’t have discovered the Griffin Inn near by, a truly wondered place to eat.

In some respects I feel quite sorry for the owners of Kirkby House, desperate for success (something they are currently achieving with their reviews), yet maintaining a win at all costs mentality. For me customer service is customer service and if you have faith in your abilities you shouldn’t have to worry about what people write about you. Maintain high standards and striving to do your best, whatever the circumstances will always stand you in good stead. In all walks of life you are likely to encounter difficulties, but it is how you overcome such obstacles that helps build a business and not about how you ensure such issues are terminated in such a forceful and uncompromising way.

I’m not after any monetary gains from this post, but merely making people aware of the thoughts and intentions of such a dwelling. This might be some peoples cup of tea, but you will not find me recommending Kirkby House to anyone I know staying in the area.

I’m not even sure this review will make its way to such forums, but will notify the relevant bodies of such inappropriate behavior. Like I said, I don’t normally write reviews, it’s just unlucky for the owners that I’m a lazy teacher who has more time off than I should and have spent Friday morning writing this spiel whilst flicking a red pen over my Year 10 GCSE exercise books.

If you’ve read this review you deserve a medal, I’ll try not to bore you any longer.
Regards,
Ian

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Ian R
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Arrived frazzled after tough working day, bad traffic and a misunderstanding with my partner..
Within minutes the staff had settled us down and we started to unwind.
Restaurant menu simple but very well cooked & presented, super full English breakfast as well.
Room extremely comfortable, spacious & clean. Bathroom a good size & immaculately clean.
First class service at a reasonable price - we were very well looked after and plan to stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Excellent customer service nothings too much trouble they even took us to the local seafood resturant as they didnt serve food on a sunday evening. .. Very friendly couldn't ask for a more relaxed comfortable stay

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Simmy36
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here whilst on business, middle of this week. Lovely hotel both inside and out! Very welcoming. Literally feels like your at home! Small bar to have a beer or 3. Spacious room with ensuite and walk in shower. Lovely tea would recommend the beef and upgrading to the full english for an extra 4.50 on the 59.99 evening meal and room deal I got! All in all 5*** Will be back,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
#1 of 1 in Market Bosworth
3.0 of 5 bubbles 4,066 reviews
Premier Inn Leicester Fosse Park Hotel
Premier Inn Leicester (Forest East) Hotel

Been to Kirkby House Hotel? Share your experiences!