“Best Conch on the Island”

Seaside Village at Jerry Wells
Ranked #5 of 16 Restaurants in Long Island
Cuisines: Bahamian
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Minutes North of Deadman's Cay airport on Long Island, Bahamas
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Kenny is a great host and makes the best salad I've had. We brought in some fresh Conch from fishing and he made for us on the spot. Kenny has traveled and lived in some unique places and has great stories. Can't wait to visit again and see the new restaurant.

2  Thank kenais3
There are newer reviews for Seaside Village at Jerry Wells

Reviewed April 25, 2014

My 4th visit to beautiful Long Island ended at this lovely, friendly, authentic waterfront spot with a panoramic vantage of sundown. How I wish I found it the day I arrived. I love conch salad and had THE BEST EVER here. Meet Kenny and his sister, great folks with a warm welcome and family history that proves serious family tradition and pride. I can't wait to go back. Miss Long Island every day!

2  Thank missfortescue
Reviewed March 21, 2014

At first glance this place looks like the kind of place you would avoid. The place is a building site, and the fridges are covered in rust.

We were exploring the island when we first checked it out, and was happy to learn it was one of the few places open on a Sunday.

Well, it was certainly the hive of activity! A pet Eagle, pet goat, seaplanes taking off, locals showing up with freshly caught fish, and good mix of all the foreign residents out for a drink.

We of course ordered the house speciality which was the conch salad, which the owner pulls out of the sea right there in front of you. They're obviously caught out in the sea then put in a sea pen (made funnily from the conch shells). I was a little concerned at everything being handled with bare hands, including seasoning the conch in a bowl of fruit. We were asked if we wanted chilli, and we said yes, but be aware, even after asking "just a little" it was still almost too spicy to get halfway through. We then ordered the lobster tail, which was served with a baked potato. I maybe eat lobster once every 4 years, but i'm sure this was just from frozen, as it was dryer than i've ever known. I didn't see any prices for anything we were ordering, we just assumed in a place like this it would be relatively reasonable, in line with other restaurants on the island. Well 2 conch salads, 2 lobster tails, and a few beers came to $80. The lobster tails were $25 each.

We'd definitely go back there for a light lunch and a drink, but just avoid the chilli and lobster tails haha.

2  Thank Stormcab
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed 2 wks on LITTLE DEADMANS CAY-(tried to review it as well, failed...however, there are old reviews of the cay that are very accurate. Having rented it 4x in 7 years says more than anything.) It is 1 mile off shore from SEASIDE VILLAGE... Back to the SEASIDE VILLAGE @JERRY WELLS...
Kenneth (jerry) Cartwright, is great! Very welcoming, very conversational, VERY handsome! Full of island history. We spent many afternoons indulging in his rum punch, ginger beer, rum, & lime (my fav.) and other cocktails.
Also, traditional bahamian food, fresh, made to order; by sister, lynne.

For conch salad, Jerry plucks the LIVE conch out if the beautiful water and prepares it right in front of you...(ask for your conch shell for a souvenier).

You can call ahead and have food ready to go when you arrive. This was a bonus after working up an appetite kayaking across from "little deadmans cay"(private, AFFORDABLE island for rent)

If you stop by, be prepared to kick back and relax. A big mistake to be in a hurry.
Remember, its island time, now.
You won't want to leave. You may also be lucky to have an impromtu jam session from local handyman, Ricky McCardy, on his carpenters' hand saw, singing island songs!
We found SEASIDE VILLAGE, comfortable, relaxing and convenient to unwind just before leaving the island as its only minutes away from the airport. Can't wait for visit #5!!!!
Teresa from minnesota.
Email for further review...
tdonnell19@msn.com

4  Thank teresa1983
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I have been there the first time last week. The conch salad was made in front of your eyes! Thw next day we ate fresh grouper fish! This was also very delicious
I can really recommend seaside village.

1  Thank Travelina92