Stella Maris Resort Club
Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas(Long Island)
$255
  • Beachfront
Winter Haven Inn(Clarence Town)(Great Value!)
$153
Club Peace & Plenty(George Town)(Great Value!)
$159
Travelocity
Greenwich Creek Lodge(Long Island)(Great Value!)
$135
$131
Country Cove Inn(Deadman's Cay)
$99
Eagles Nesting Fishing Lodge(Glenton Settlement)
$120
Gems At Paradise Resort(Clarence Town)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Lumina Point Resort & Spa(Stocking Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
St Francis Resort(Stocking Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsrainbow housestella maris resortmoonshine barnatural poolrum punchfishcape santa mariacave partybar loungecolumbus monumentscuba divingthe north endbahamian islandsblue holemeal planrock poolsfeel like family
Reviewed July 13, 2006

My wife and two teenage boys just returned from Stella Maris Resort. This was our
third visit to this unique beautiful relaxing resort.

We stayed at the Rainbow House which is a three bedroom three bath house with an exquisite pool-right overlooking the Ocean. The house is quite contemporary (except for wall air conditioning units) The views from our perch were spectacular.

Warning! Stella Maris is the type of place you go to get away from it all-to relax and ejoy your mate and/or family. There are no phones, no TVS (actually there is one near the bar which I avoided like the plague), no Blackberry's, and no gambling.

In short, no stress whatsoever. I was never so relaxed (or suntanned) as I returned to work the following week after this vacation.

The management and resort is completely unpretentious. This is as far from the South Beach scene that you can get.

There is time for snorkeling, scuba diving, small sailboat sailing, relaxed beaching-Cape Santa Maria is a glorious pristine beach- and if your so inclined (like I am) simply reading by the ocean as the waves crash against the rocks. In between these activities you will also find you have the time to talk and catch up with your loved ones.

Most of the guests are low key-very friendly people (often European) who have been to the resort in the past. They, like the resort, are completely unpretentious.

Your hosts are energetic Joerg and wry Peter. They are sixtyish Germans and run this very out island resort with an efficient and cheerful manner.

Their effort to make our stay comfortable was seen on a daily basis. They bend over backwords to make your stay an intimate and memorable one.

For example, my eighteen year old step-son made the surprise announcement on our second day to Joerg (eitherJoerg or Peter make the rounds every night at dinner to say hello, answer any questions you may have about the next days activities or assist you with a special request) that he wanted to go scuba diving.

Without missing a beat, Joerg said he would be scuba diving the next morning. He immediately made all the necessary arrangements. He was indeed diving the next morning. By the end of the week the boy was a certified Open Water Diver.

In sum, this is a great place to get away from it all, relax, enjoy water sports and your family.

I hope we can make the trip back soon.

• Stayed: July 2006
10  Thank MIDWESTROOTS
Reviewed June 21, 2006

The Staff at the Stella Maris was outstanding, our accommodations and the resort were beautiful.A very pleasant rejuvnation. Everything about the trip was top notch. The diving was just awesome, from walls, to sharks, to blue holes, to wrecks, something for every one (Thanks Mario you' and the scuba staff are the best) From them having a taxi at the airport, to Peter packing us breakfast to go at 6:00am they day we left. The food was very good, the conch chowder, and the German apple pancakes were to die for. All the fish was as fresh as could be. Elizabeth took care of the arrangements here stateside, and the rest just flowed from there. All that being said we had a great time.
The memories and the new friends we have acquired will last a very long time.

6  Thank TONYPQUEST29
A TripAdvisor Member
New York City
Reviewed March 10, 2006

I spent a week at the Stella Maris in May, looking for R&R in a beautiful, peaceful setting.

The Good:
The island is really away from it all and has beautiful beaches and friendly locals. While there's no good swimming beach on site, the hotel offers trips to great beaches (Santa Maria) and other activities throughout the day. Snorkeling at Columbus Harbour and Columbus Monument was quite nice. Although the beach at Columbus Harbour was littered with trash, the snorkeling just outside of the harbour (a bit of of swim/walk) was worth it. I also met a few people who went to the Blue Hole in the southern part of the island, which they said was pretty amazing to snorkel over.

The Bad:
Mosquitoes: Everywhere, just about all the time. Granted it was the beginning of the wet season but the tenacity and ferociousness of the Long Island mosquito will always be in my memories. You literally had to drench yourself in OFF to keep them at bay. One woman I met was bitten in the eyelid, one of the few places she did not apply repellent. Needless to say her eye was swollen to the size of a golf ball. I came back from my vacation with at least 50-60 bites and this was while using OFF rather religiously. If you don't want to be bitten, stay indoors.

The Strange:
The hosts: Peter was friendly and helpful. However, the other host never spoke or made eye contact with me, even when he made his rounds in the restaurant, stopping by each table, including mine. I don't know what that was all about. I speak perfect English. I'm friendly, polite, and not at all intimidating.

Another incident that deserves mentioning was when a group of us went out on the hotel's complimentary boat cruise. We were also scheduled to go to Shark Reef and do a shark feeding dive. This had been highly recommended to me by my host, Peter. Strangely enough, it turned out the captain and divemaster could not find the site. We ended up circling around for over an hour before the weather turned bad and we had to head back. Then to top it all off, the captain or divemaster (not sure who was at the helm) grounded the boat on a shallow sand/reef bar. We were stuck for about an hour before a smaller boat drove by and helped us out by taking us to shore.

To sum it all up: Long Island is a beautiful destination. Stella Maris is an adequate resort. Beware of the mosquitos in the wet/shoulder seasons.

• Stayed: May 2005