“A Must Visit”

Cuisines: Bahamian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

The surf-n-turf was well worth the expense! If you visit Long Island, don't miss this restaurant. The French Canadian chef is a little eccentric, but the food was amazing!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Chez Pierre was wonderful, some of the best pasta, and fresh seafood you'll ever eat. The atmosphere is great, his beach is beautiful. Did I mention the food was excellent!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We spent 3 weeks in Long Island this April and ate at Chez Pierre on 3 occasions. The food is great but you have to feel sorry for Pierre because he is obviously a very angry man who thinks it is quite appropriate to pass on his nastiness to his guests. A word of warning for those with children - Pierre will scare them (and most adults) to death. On our last visit, my two children - aged 11 and 14 - suggested we "run" to the car because they were afraid Pierre was going to come after us. On our last visit, I had to warn several of the patrons - who were looking quite shocked at the treatment they were receiving - about Pierre and advised them that they should be very careful.. I warned them they should not even think about complaining about anything, should not ask for anything extra (even salt will bring down the wrath of Pierre), and be sure to order precisely and correctly. Trust me - you really have to be that careful.

Let me give you some examples. On our first visit, my friend asked if mayo came on her sandwich and Pierre accused her of "playing games with him" and "if she wanted to play games with him - she could leave". On our second visit, I told Pierre that I had heard he made a great ceasar salad and asked if he made his own dressing to which he replied "you think I put s*&ht on my sald - you insult me now" and stomped off into the kitchen. He also was furious when he asked my friend if she wanted bacon or anchovies on her salad and she replied "yes" - meaning she wanted both - to which Pierre ranted at her about how she should learn to order properly and that she had to be "precise" or "how would he know what to put on the salad".

The worst visit, however, was the third time we dared venture in the doorway of Chez Pierre (yes we went back - because the food is very good). Pierre met us on the walkway to the restaurant and yelled at my 14 year old son (who was walking ahead of me) because we did not have a reservation. After the lecture, he pointed to a table and yelled "Sit there" and then threw some menus, knives and forks and plates at us and told us to "distribute them ourselves", When he came to the table to take our order, he noticed I had sand on my shoes (the restaurant is located on a beach) and screamed at me that I should have washed off my shoes. I meekly apologized and he said "Oh ya - your sorry, sure - your sorry - I bet you are sorry" most sarcastically and then stomped off into the kitchen. When it came time to order (which is when he stomps up and says nothing to you but just stands there with his pen and paper in hand and stares at you) my son, who stutters when he is nervous, tried to order tomato sauce on his pizza and stuttered when doing so - primarly because Pierre made him so nervous. Pierre made faces at him and rolled his eyes and motioned to "hurry it up" as he tried to get out the words. Luckily my son was looking down at his menu at that time and didn't see his horrible facial gestures in reaction to his stuttering. I would have left at that point but the kids had there heart set on pizza and it was getting late in the evening and there was likely nothing open anywhere we could drive to in time to get some supper as restaurants are few and far between on Long Island.

My daughter (11 years old) went up to the bar where the ice is located to put some ice in her water (the water and ice is self serve) and Pierre happened to come out of the kitchen at that time and yelled at her about taking ice for her water when there were guests buying drinks that needed ice and the water was free and asking her why she couldn't figure out the difference. I was outside at the time talking to some other guests but she came out in tears about it.

Despite my warnings to the other couples at the next table, when they came to order, one of them asked for extra sauce on his veal to which Pierre replied "you either trust me or you dont - take it the way I make it or dont". One of the other members of the same table asked how the fish was grilled and received the same response "you take it the way I cook it or don't eat it and you can leave".

During the dinner, we could overhear Pierre yelling at someone on the phone who had obviously called to make a reservation and left a number for Pierre to call back. He had obviously tried to call this party back and they did not answer because Pierre was yelling at them and saying "why do you have a phone if you don't answer the (bleeping) phone".

When it came time to leave, Pierre (who waits tables and does the cooking) was in the back cooking and we had wanted to have our pizza packed up to take home. One of the locals called to Pierre that we were looking for a box and he screamed from the kitchen "who is yelling at me?" and "if they want something they can come and ask me themselves". I was too afraid to approach him and so we waited and talked with the other table until Pierre was out of the kitchen. He came over to us and literally shoved the bill into our hands and said "Instead of talking - get out your money and pay your bill".

None of these comments were meant in jest. He was not kidding around - he is the most arrogant rude man I have ever encountered.

No matter how good his food is (and it is delicious) the entire meal is tainted by the nastiness of Pierre.

Something is clearly wrong with this man and despite the excellent food and ideal location, we will never go back and that is a shame for both Pierre and our family.

5  Thank Darlene R
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our two teenage sons raved about their visit to Chez Pierre with their aunt and uncle, so we decided to visit. They mentioned that the food was really good, and that the owner was "interesting." I think that desribes the experience for us, as well.

The restaurant is located off a dirt roadway on Long Island, and was easy to find. It is in a beautiful location, with a sandy white beach in front, nice landscaping all around.

The food was an interesting mix-- sort of island, sort of continental. Extremely well prepared. Service was pretty good, although not what you'd expect when you are spending over 250 US on lunch, which of course included some excellent wine. We almost got into an argument, totally by accident, which rankled us a lot. Why be so aggressive? I'm not an aggressive tourer, and don't go looking for trouble. Here, it found me.

I find myself getting a little mad as I write this review, so I'm going to stop now. It is worth the sail / flight / drive to Chez Pierre's for the view and the great food. And if you just let the comments from the owner wash over your back, like water over a duck, you'll have an interesting and enjoyable time.

Woody.

1  Thank Woody2billionand1
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Pierre was very amazing. He did it ALL single handed. Cooked, served, everything. Great night!

1  Thank Shellyofshoals