“A wonderful place to stay”

Sugar Apple Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed April 28, 2007

We returned from our trip to Harbour Island last month and ever since have been trying to find a way back.

It was our first real family vacation and travelling with two year old twins was a challenge. I can't imagine staying anywhere but the Red Apple-
Rosita and Stephanie were so accommodating and pleasant
to us.

Our suite worked well for a family with two small children. There were two bedrooms-the second with two twin beds.
It was also spotless and pleasantly decorated. French doors opened from every room onto a small trellissed patio so the kids could feel as though they were exploring but could not leave.

We too were surprised to find a pitcher of the most heavenly coconut milk in our refrigerator after returning from the beach one afternoon-what a treat!

If you are looking for a more authentic island experience with a personal touch this would be the place.

Stayed: March 2007

Reviewed April 26, 2007

Clean, neat, elegant and functional, this bed and breakfast was just right for our three-generation family (grandmother, parents and child), as it offered proximity to both beach and town, a wonderful, well-equipped and large kitchen for the days when we wanted to eat in, comfortable lodging and friendly service. Highlights included a very warm and knowledgeable host and hostess (Rosie and Joe), who were willing to do everything from stock the refridgerator before we arrived, to organizing a golf cart, suggesting restaurants and filling us in on the local history and culture.

We'd highly recommend this wonderful, convenient and fun place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2007

What a beautiful island, and the Red Apple was the ideal place to stay. It was very reasonably priced, and you got to experience the real island life. Instead of being in a pricey resort (which are horribly overpriced and quite stuffy), you were in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the island. The room was cleaned daily, with fresh towells and flowers provided. The small kitchenette made it easy to eat in, with daily stops at the markets and bakery to pick up meat, cheese and fresh baked breads. The restaraunts are also overpriced, so eating out on a daily basis (we were there for 9 days) was not an economic choice. The ability to go back to the nice clean room, after a very busy day on the island, and eat a small meal was nice.

The island itself is very small, but with lots to see. The beaches were unbelievable, with sand as smooth as talcom powder. You really do need to rent a golf cart, which are available at the Red Apple. I recommend you eat a large lunch at one of the island "Take Aways"; you get lots to eat at a very reasonable price. In the evening, there are many restaurants, but don't plan on having a full meal under $150 (for two people). One night we had an appetizer, salads, a shared dessert, and a bottle of wine, and it cost us $130 with tip. That's why the kitchenette at the Red Apple was so great! Helped cut out the need to go out to dininer every evening.

Rosita is a great hostess! When we asked her about some of the local fruits we could see growing on trees, the next morning she brought us some to taste. One afternoon we came home to find Rosie and her family cutting coconuts out of the tree on the property. We watched as they cut open the coconuts, poured out the milk, and scrapped out the meat. Later, she brought us a pitcher of a fantastic island drink made out of the coconut milk. Could you get that kind of service at a pricey hotel - I think not!!

If you are looking at going on vacation where you live in fancy accomodations that look like every other hotel around the world, then don't stay at the Red Apple. If you want a nice, clean place where you actually experience the real island life, then stay at the Red Apple. The rooms might be small, but who spends a lot of time in their room when they are in Paradise? Cleanliness and friendliness is much more important to me when I travel, and I was very happy with both points on my stay at the Red Apple.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank slamNebraska
Reviewed April 23, 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed Rosie's little B&B. The rooms are small but very nice, clean, and new. Tastefully decorated. Feels homey but also offers adequate privacy. Very nice garden, pleasant atmosphere. And wifi!

Rosie herself is incredibly helpful--she recommended several restaurants, all of them good. She was almost always around when we were coming or going and always had a pleasant, friendly word for us. The housekeeper (Rosie's mother?) was equally lovely.

Rosie even drove us around the island on our way to the boat when we departed to find us her favorite pineapple tart after we told her we had tried a good pineapple tart for dinner the night before. She knew of a better one and was determined to find it for us--what a sweetheart.

This isn't the poshest place on the island, but it is probably the best value. There is one place cheaper but it is a total dump by comparison. I would definitely stay at Rosie's Red Apple again.

FYI, our room was the exact same room as the one mpeachey wrote the terrible review about. Perhaps we are just more aware of what your dollar buys in the Bahamas--this room is very good value in a very expensive part of the world.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2007

I just got back from staying at the Red Apple and had the most relaxing trip of my life. Rosita is the hostess with the mostest! She was very sweet and helpful. Everyone there was cool. The room was really nice, comfortable, and quiet. We also had a kitchen which was great. We were only a block away from a secluded part of the beach which was nice. I would definitely stay there again. I'm sorry that the guy who left the negative comment had such a bad time there, but I had a great time there.

Reviewed April 11, 2007

As a preface to this review, let me say that first that I have waited over a month after my stay to make sure I still felt this strongly. I do.

Second, let me say that I have traveled extensively throughout the world. I am equally comfortable in a developing area as I am at the Four Seasons. I don’t expect world class quality in a remote area, and I don’t mind spending money.

Third, check out the pictures. You've got to see this place to really get an appreciation for the dump that it is.

I am writing this review from a concrete slab in front of the Red Apple. From here I can smell the burning trash from the junk yard next door. It's 10:00 at night, and I am here instead of my room because the people who are shouting at each other next door to my room prevent sleeping. I'd complain to the management, again, but as it turns out it's the management that is causing the ruckus.

All day yesterday, until after 11:00 PM, we were required to listen to religious sermons (Prais –uh Jay-sus-uh) blasting from a TV through the walls of the room. The people in the room with the TV had to shout at each other to be heard. I finally took an Ambien and fell asleep around 12:00. My wife had earplugs with her and used them.

This TV preaching started again at just after 6:00 AM this morning and we were forced to flee the room by 8:00. When we returned to the room after a day on the island for a nap, it was still going on. The first time that I asked at the desk whether something could be done, I was told that there was no noise. Later I found the owner and her extended family socializing with the guests with the TV. On a second request, a friend of the owner said that he would turn off the TV. This socializing and the noise continue now into the evening.

[I am now picking up the review again at 2:30 AM. The owners and friends came back from town, drunk. The TV is on again, and the shouting is in full force. I knocked on their door to ask them to be quiet and was told to “go away”.

On to the rest of this dump.

The room is tiny. It is so small that the bed is shoved against the side wall and one person has to climb over the other to get in and out, unless you kind of pull it away from the wall. You need to turn sideways when you come in the front door to squeeze between the end of the bed and the glass table. Linens and towels are clean. There is a small chest of drawers, but no closet to speak of. So, your bags and clothes pretty much need to go on the floor. This is the “1 bedroom suite”, I think because it has a small kitchenette. The 'fridge and microwave work ok.

The bathroom has one of those urinal cakes wired to the toilet. I think it’s supposed to keep the sewage smell down. It works reasonably well. The ammonia smell is actually more noticeable than the sewage smell. There is a nice incense holder in the bathroom, but no incense. Hot water pressure works fine and there seems to be plenty, and the towels are clean.

There is cable TV, a small 13” set mounted up near the ceiling in the corner of the room. I haven’t turned it on. Given its position, it would pretty much vibrate the floor of the people above us and there is already enough noise in this compound of chaos already.

There were some nice beach towels you can take to the beach. It's a close walk, and so is town. The island is very small; you can walk everyplace you want to go. As long as you don’t want to go someplace other than the harbor or the beach, there is no need to rent a golf cart ($58/day). Taxi from the ferry dock is $10, about 1/4 mile, but unless you can carry all of your luggage, it's worth it.

There is internet at $10/half hour for non guests. But there is WiFi, just sit out front like I am and you can get it for free. Don’t pay.

Forget about anything romantic. The rooms are so small and non-noise proofed that you can hear every word and sound from next door and above/below. Literally, I can hear the conversations from one side even with the TV preacher din on the other side. If you close your eyes, you can pretend the people are in the room with you. Not really all that sexy.

Back to the junk yard/garage. There is a 55-gallon drum burning trash 24/7 next door to this property. There are any number of rusted out junked jeeps and gold carts rotting in the shrubbery. The front of the junk yard is a garage, where repair cars and golf carts.

The place is right on the main road. Literally two paces from the road. I've heard that there are no cars on the island. Not true. The cars, and the golf carts (not quiet I assure you) run up and down this street, which is the main drag from the harbor town to the south side of the island. Constantly. Day and night. Sometimes they go by in groups of 8-10 in a row, stuck behind a slow mover. Somehow the idea of driving slow with an amped up stereo blasting some sort of generic reggae has made it to the island as a nighttime activity of choice. It was literally quieter when I lived in NYC. I’m not kidding. I lived on 120th and Amsterdam in Morningside heights, and the traffic noise was less.

As far as help with restaurants and activities, the owner and her staff were pretty much pointless. I can't imagine that someone could live on this island and know less that the person we talked to. One recommendation I would make is avoid the restaurant down the street where they claim to have invented Jimmy Buffet’s Cheeseburger in Paradise. No only is it not the best burger in the world, it’s not even White Castle quality. There are better restaurants in town. Angela’s Fry is one of them.

Anyway. In short, I wouldn’t stay here again if it was free. Maybe some of the other room here are nice. I see good reviews. I just can’t imagine it personally.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank michael P
Reviewed March 22, 2007

For anyone wishing to stay on this fabulous Bahamas island and can't afford the upper end beach resorts, try out Red Apple B & B.... Wonderful managment, caring, eager to please.... accommadations are super clean, well decorated, cozy and perfect for a long weekend or a week's stay. The hosts, Rosie and Joe, have traveled the world and bring the best of their experiences from living overseas to this charming Bed and Breakfast. . If you need a golf cart to rent, this is the place!! They are full service!
Bahamas best kept secrets....
Enjoy!