“TRULY PARADISE!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rock House
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Harbour Island
“TRULY PARADISE!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

Can't put into words the perfection of the Rockhouse and Harbour Island!! You have to experience this to really grasp it! I think it is always important to know who is writing the review because it makes it easier for interested parties to know if the reviewer has common interests. My husband was turning 40 (I am much younger at 33..haha) and I really wanted the perfect destination with the perfect place~my sister called me the Goldilocks of vacations! This place is magical!! If you like a beautiful destination with the perfect amount of options for going out (restaurants, bars, socializing) without it being like a South Beach this is the place to go! As for the Rockhouse, this was the best stay we have ever had! The accomodations, service, people and ambiance were all true perfection!! We stayed in The Palm and loved the balcony with the loungers for afternoon wine and sunset watching overlooking the bay or when we wanted a little alone time. The bed was like heaven! The pool area is so chic and comfy. From the second you walk into the front gate of this piece of heaven you feel how wonderful and beautiful it is! The food at the Rockhouse was by far the BEST on the island! We did venture out and always ended up back at the RH for dinner! They have some of the best food we have ever had (we like and know good food!). We had everything on the menu. The entrees are absolutely amazing~to die for (best filet we have ever had)! We visited many other hotel bars, restaurants and the service/vibe just isn't there like at the Rockhouse! I am also very conscious of choosing places that are not stuffy which can be hard when you like exceptional service and high end destinations. The Rockhouse is so laid back and everyone there is so personable. You will be treated like a dear friend by all the staff while every detail is attended to at the same time~seems impossible but they all do it! Wallace and Don~ I can't say enough about them! We might miss them more than the island itself or the Rockhouse! You might think twice about staying here since it is not directly on the beach. I was hesitant but decided to go with it anyhow due to the awesome reviews. Trust me, STAY HERE!! You will not miss being on the beach! It is a great short walk~ if you are active I would save your $$ on the golf carts. You really don't need one. We canceled ours when we arrived. Everything is so close. Be sure if you are in the mood for a party while you are visiting go to the Vicum! It was a blast the night of my husband's 40th! You get the best of everything in Harbour Island. You can bring it down and relax, be isolated or ramp the party up and take advantage! I didn't know if it would be too quiet and there would be enough party life for us but once again... it was just right! We are planning another trip back!

• Liked — EVERYTHING!!
  • Stayed November 2008
3 Thank AmberBoston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
millerlite80
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2008

The Rock House resort is the perfect honeymoon/vacation spot for anyone who wants to relax in the most beautiful setting imaginable. The hotel itself is a completely redone historic building with fantastically appointed rooms overlooking the bay of Harbour Island. The hotel itself is only steps from one of the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. At the beach the hotel has its own private area where it provides its guests with cushioned chairs, towels, umbrellas, and a cooler of bottled water. If you decide to skip the beach, the Rock House has an amazing pool area with private cabanas, cushioned lounge chairs and pool side drink service. The rooms themselves are amazing as well. Every detail was accounted for. We stayed in the Seahorse room which overlooked the pool. Our room had a beautiful king size bed, flat screen TV, stereo with iPod dock, refrigerator, and more. Probably the best thing about the Rock House however, is the personal service. Wallace and Don, the owners, were incredible to us. They were at the hotel all the time and never stopped making sure we had everything we needed. The Rock House staff is incredible as well. While we were there we never lifted a finger. The staff took care of everything. If we needed a golf cart, one was delivered for us within minutes. When we wanted to go SCUBA diving it was arranged for us. If we needed a shirt pressed, it was done for us immediately. The staff and Wallace and Don did an incredible job of making sure that we had the most amazing honeymoon ever. On top of all of this the Rock House has a state of the art business center with two computers, wireless internet, and an internet phone so we could make free calls back to the states. I would strongly recommend the Rock House to anyone who is looking to get away in the most relaxing and luxurious location I have ever visited.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank millerlite80
st louis, mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

My sister and I stayed at the Rock House for four nights at the end of May, 2008. The hospitality was wonderful. The staff anticipated our every need. Everyone was very friendly, the room was beautiful, and the meals were superb! We look forward to another trip there in the future.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

My husband and I just spent 6 days at the Rock House (RH) for our Honeymoon--loved it! I booked the Rock House based on the great tripadvisoreviews of the hotel staff, the food, and the beautiful beach.

Food: Hands down, the RH food was the best food we had on the island. This was our first trip to the island so we ate dinner at other restaurants including Aqua Paza, Coral Sands and The Landing, which were all good, but the Rock House dinners were exceptional so we ate there twice! We also had lunch there and it was great too. And even when we ate dinner at other restaurants, we would come back to the RH and order the Hokey Pokey ice cream from room service. We probably did that 3 or 4 times. (We like food.)

Staff: Wallace and Don (owners), Eric, and all the staff treated us like we were good friends from way back, even though this was the first time we'd ever met. These guys are top notch, salt of the earth people that treat you like they would want to be treated themselves. I loved that b/c that can be hard to find these days.

Beach: Oh my gosh, the beautiful beach, I miss it so much! First off, the sand is so soft, and the color changes from bright white when the sun is shining on it, to soft pink when it is more overcast, or later in the day. From the shoreline, the color of the water is first crystal clear, then aquamarine, then teal and then dark ocean blue. (Or at least that's how we saw it!)

The best part of going to the beach, is that the Rock House provides super comfy beach chairs/umbrellas/cooler with bottled water/towels, for Rock House guests ONLY! Which was so wonderful b/c we really enjoyed the quiet and solitude of not being aound other random beach goers. One day, we were dissapointed to see that a bunch of people that were not staying at the RH had invaded most of those beach chairs and they were quite loud and had a radio on. BUT, not 10 minutes after we got there, Eric (RH staff) came and shooed them away--which we SO appreciated. We didn't book our honeymoon at South Beach for a reason...

So you can rest assured that the staff is always looking out for the best interest of their customers.

There are other things worth mentioning:

We used Little Shan's water sports (red booth at Valentine's dock) for snorkeling and kayaking. Devin runs it--he was a charming and helpful guide.

We ate lunch at Sip-Sip right off the beach and really liked it. Yes it is pricey for lunch but so is everything in the Bahamas so just make peace with that before you even book your trip.

We ate lunch one day at Dunmore Deli, we both had simple sandwiches and they were good.

Our room at RH, was the Pineapple Room, we loved it. Has AC, TV with DVD--you can borrow DVD's from front desk, patio overlooking the dock--which we watched 4th of July fireworks off of!! Really comfortable king bed, good sized shower/bathroom. Pineapple Room is right off of dining room which we thought might be noisy but it was never a problem for us and the dining room was always quiet by around 10:30pm. And, everytime we left the room, when we came back it was spotless, with fresh towels and the bed made--like we were walking in for the first time.

So if you can't already tell, I love the Rock House and hope to make it back someday! I will try to remember to post some pics soon too. Thanks to Wallace/Don for creating such a wonderful vacation/honeymoon spot!

• Liked — Staff and food. and room. and beach.
  • Disliked — I like a big breakfast, so I would have loved a more extensive breakfast menu.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Denver4166
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

My stay at Rock House was by far the best holiday I've ever experienced in my life...

Travelling from Australia required me to spend about 30 hours in transit to finally arrive at Rock House which I'd read so many positive things about. It was well worth the effort and travel time! What an wonderful place to stay!!

From the moment I arrived at Rock House I was greeted by all staff members and had to remind myself to respond to everyone as I was so distracted by the stylings, cleanliness and layout of this amazing holiday hotel.

No detail was overlooked during my stay at Rock House. I noticed daily the quality and quantity of attention to detail. Of course, for any establishment to be a true success, more than this is required... and Rock House delivers. Every staff member was so friendly and accommodating of any request I had. It was lovely to be so well looked after. The staff actively ensure the ease and comfort of all their hotel patrons.

Now onto the food... it is nothing short of exquisite! What an amazing chef and team! The food is presented beautifully and tastes as good as it looks.

Do yourself a favour and take some time out from the 'shoulds', 'pressures' and 'routines' of everyday life, buy yourself a ticket either on water or air and get to this amazing establishment... your rest, comfort, replenishment and vigour for life are all restored during and upon completion of your stay.

A big thank you to Don and Wallace, Rock House owners... I have never come across more dedicated and friendly owners. Thank you for making my stay at Rock House everything I'd hoped for and more! It truly exceeded my expections (which were quite high to begin with in the first place!).

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

• Liked — Loved all of it!
  • Disliked — Didn't dislike any aspect.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank rebeccaford55
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

This was our second year to visit Rock House. We spent eight days in this fabulous inn and we, again, were not disappointed. If you want five star service with great accommodations and great food, this is the place to stay. I am one who always prefers to stay in a hotel directly on the beach, but I can tell you, without reservation, you will not miss a thing. The Rock House, located on the harbor side, is just minutes by foot and seconds by golf cart to the beach where Rock House has umbrellas, chairs, towels and a cooler with bottled water set up. On the bayside, views of the harbor from the hotel are fabulous and at dinnertime, can't be beat. You will be part of the hustle and bustle of the island, but feel like you are in your own private paradise. You will have the best of both worlds staying in this location.

There are three rooms as part of the main house with the remaining rooms in a separate building in the back. We have stayed in both (Pineapple and Citrus) and I can tell you, either area is perfect. The rooms in the back building include your own private cabana for reading or hanging out in the evening (with a glass of wine, of course!).

If you want to experience five star service, go to Rock House. You will not find better service anywhere. From Fluffy to Tremee (Sweet Potato!) to the rest of the staff, including those who were recent additions, the attention to the guests and the property are unmatched.

The food - yummy. You will read in other reviews how fabulous the food is at dinner and it's all true (by the way, don't miss lunch either!). Be sure to come early and have a cocktail at the bar by the pool. What a beautiful romantic setting as you watch the sunset over the harbor, and it's a great place to meet and visit with other guests.

And lastly, we can't say enough about the owners, Don and Wallace, who make Rock House the special place that it is. Rock House is their little piece of heaven on Harbour Island and you are their most welcomed guests.

Stayed June 2008
3 Thank SBinflorida
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

My wife and I spent a quiet extended weekend away on Harbour Island and had the opportunity to sample various restaurants on the Island. The Rock House was by far and away the top restaurant on the Island, and in fact, probably in all of the Bahamas.

The execution in every aspect makes dinner at the Rock House a memorable experience. First, Don and Wallace are top notch hosts attending to every detail. The entire staff goes out of their way to make sure you have a great time - from the fantastic bartender, to the wait staff, the Chefs (all three of them) and even the support staff; everyone of them take care in what they do - and it shows all with genuine smiles. The menu has something for everyone, and no one should miss the nightly specials.

We enjoyed dinner so much on the first night, we decided to go back again the next evening to see if the experience would be the same - and it was. The consistency from night to night is unmatched. On the first evening, the fresh fish special was terrific; prepared with Caribbean spices with a delightful presentation. The next night was the pasta and Tuna special, again, just as good as the first night.

Taking in the Bahamian sunsets on both nights, while enjoying perfectly prepared meals, is how a vacation is supposed to be spent. The Rock House understands this and delivers!

Stayed May 2006
#3 of 9 in Harbour Island
The Cove Eleuthera
The Cove Eleuthera
#1 of 1 in Gregory Town

Been to Rock House? Share your experiences!