We just returned to Australia from the Bahamas. My husband and I visited 3 islands out of the 700 in the Bahamas and Habour Island was our favourite. Habour Island was particularly special because the stay at the Rock House was faultless.
Location is easy to get to: To Rock House from Eleuthera Island
(a) 5 mins taxi ride from North Eleuthera Airport to Three Island Dock (Total US$10 for 2pp)
(b) 5 mins water taxi from Three Island Dock to Habour Island Dock (Total US$10 for 2pp)
(c) 5 mins walk from Habour Island Dock to Rock House hotel; you can see the hotel from the dock, ask the water taxi driver to point it out to you (We had one suitcase each with 4 wheels so it was easy to walk there.) There is a staircase from the road to Rock House. Let someone from Rock House know when you get there and they will send someone down to help you right away!
As soon as we arrived. The Manager, Eric, welcomed us and showed us our room and facilities. He also provided us a map and circled places he would recommend to visit/dine at. Throughout our stay, Eric was extremely helpful and as busy as he was, he never rushed. We met Don, the owner, a bit later and he was extremely friendly and very generous. Thanks Don.
Room & Facilities were immaculate: We stayed in the Nautilus room. It was large and very clean. Wifi was complimentary. No views in this room. If you would like to have water views, perhaps stay in Commodore or Pineapple room.
Beach was an easy walk: Rock House provides a beach bag containing beach chairs towels and dry-off towels and bottles of water. Once you collect it, you are set for the easy stroll to the pink sand beach! We preferred to walk rather than hire a golf cart. We have eaten too much for the last month and need to walk it off! Seriously though, everything is walking distance and did not think a golf cart was necessary.
Food was amazing: Every morning we had a good breakfast of toasted banana bread, bowl of fresh cut fruits, yoghurt with mango pieces and coffee. There were home-made muesli bars, cupcakes, cereal and juice too; all complimentary. You can order hot breakfast, but not sure how much it costs. We loved what they served already, so did not order hot breakfast. Every morning either Marva or Flo greeted us and other guests. They made time to chat with us and their service was exceptional! If you have a chance, try having dinner at the Rock House. We had dinner twice there and their food was just amazing!!! The highlight of my stay in Bahamas (food-wise) was their stone crab claw! Apparently it is not always available, so hopefully the night you go, they are serving it! We have dined at The Landing (just next door to Rock House), The Dunmore (also at Habour Island), Graycliff hotel (New Providence Island) etc. We would say that Rock House still produced the best food out of all.
Hospitality, food and service........Solid As A Rock!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rock House is a luxury 10 room boutique hotel on Harbour Island, Bahamas. Our fine dining restaurant has one of the best sunset views of the bay. Personal service and unmatched attention to every detail.Rock House has been a vibrant and colourful feature of the Harbour Island landscape since the early 1940's. Originally a private home, then a Bed and Breakfast and for many years a rental property, Rock House today has evolved to become the standard for elegance, island sophistication and superior service. Fodor's Choice, Condé Nast, Travel & Leisure and Tripadvisor award winner.In July 2002, Rock House caught the interest of the well-known South Florida builder J. Wallace Tutt III. Tutt and business partner Don Purdy, who had already created the successful Hotel Impala in South Beach and worked on commissions for Cher and the late Gianni Versace, had a vision of transforming the property into a luxury boutique hotel. The bar and dining experience at Rock House warrant special and distinct mention offering fine dining under the stars on the pool patio, at our select Chef's Table or on the Terrace overlooking the bay - you can be assured of the perfect cocktail, a superb wine list and delectable menu choices, all served by an attentive yet unobtrusive staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotel.de, Hotels.com and HRS so you can book your Rock House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rock House Hotel Harbour Island
- Rock Hotel Harbor Island
- Rock House Bahamas/Harbour Island