Rock House
Valentines Resort and Marina(Harbour Island)(Great Value!)
$415
  • Pool
Coral Sands Hotel(Harbour Island)(Great Value!)
$395
$383
Hotels.com
Pink Sands Resort(Harbour Island)(Great Value!)
$837
Romora Bay Resort & Marina(Harbour Island)(Great Value!)
$500
Orbitz.com
The Cove Eleuthera(Gregory Town)
$492
$459
Preferred Hotels
Hut Pointe Inn(Governor's Harbour)(Great Value!)
$255
The Landing(Harbour Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsyogurtsip sipmonkey roomchair coversasian suitegolf cartpalm roomthe entire staffimpeccable servicegoombay smashour honeymoonother guestseach morningcontinental breakfastfriendly localsevery employeeprivate beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I spent five days at Rock House and were pleased from the moment we stepped on the property. Don, Eric and the local staff are welcoming and sincere. The property is not large, ten rooms total, which allows for a wonderfully intimate experience. Service, cleanliness, attention to detail, quality of food and availability of staff are all fantastic attributes of this wonderful property.

Although the beach is, "three New York City blocks" from the property, the short walk, or even shorter golf cart ride if you rent, gives you a great opportunity to introduce yourself to the local culture. The locals are unbelievable friendly, with many addressing us before we could address them.The beach is absolutely beautiful and well worth the short journey to get there.

Rock House is well deserving of all awards and accolades we reviewed before traveling and exceeded all our expectations. Congratulations to Don, Eric and the entire crew on a unique and beautiful property and for sharing that property in truly exquisite fashion.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brent B
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Rock House for 9 nights. We wanted somewhere special and unique to celebrate my 50th birthday. After researching scores of destinations and hotels, we finally chose Harbour Island and the RH – what a wise decision that turned out to be. Everything good that you read about the RH is true – it is not hype. You don’t have to be an A-list celebrity to stay there, but you are certainly treated like one – from the minute you arrive.

It’s almost as if John T (I Jan 2013) has already written my review for me – I couldn’t agree more. You really do feel that you are a friend of ALL the staff, rather than just a mere guest. This is infectious, because this also makes it easy to chat and makes friends with fellow guests (if you want to, that is).

It takes a lot for me to give a 5/5 or 10/10 rating, or to say that somewhere is ‘Excellent’ – but in this case I am struggling to find fault. The RH definitely is excellent – in all categories.

Service – We’ve never experienced anything like it. Your every need is met. The phrase ‘service with a smile’ is an understatement at RH - everyone really goes that extra mile (and beyond) to ensure that your stay is perfect. They also achieve that fine balance between giving you privacy and full attentiveness. If you want to doze by the pool and be left alone in peace that’s fine, but if you want something to eat or drink, then just ask – it will be with you promptly.

Cleanliness – Top-class. Rooms are serviced twice per day (at least), and standards are so high that staff can even be seen cleaning door tops/frames and ceiling fans on a daily basis. How’s that for attention to detail? If you find a speck of dust I’m sure the management will be mortified.

Design and décor – Elegant and classy. Well, what would you expect? (We have taken a few design ideas back home with us…)

Atmosphere – It really is a home from home. Welcoming, tranquil, peaceful, relaxing.

Food – Delicious and fresh. A mixture of Bahamian and international influences.

Drinks – Superb cocktails. If you are still standing after 3 Goombay Smashes, then you must be super-human.

Rooms – Good size, airy, and very comfortable beds. (This is just my personal preference, but I found that the luxurious pillows were a little soft for me. I had to have at least 3 – my pillow at home is more like a brick!). Some reviewers on Trip Advisor have said that when in their rooms they could hear noise from the restaurant or bar. This may occasionally be the case in some rooms, but bear this in mind: Like you, other like-minded people have also come to the RH to have a good time, relax and enjoy themselves. The ‘noise’ is just chatter, laughter, and good background music – not rowdiness. This is the Bahamas, so try to be tolerant and relax. The management ensure that non-residents vacate the premises (or at least keep the noise to an absolute minimum) by 10pm, so one’s sleep should not be disturbed. We never found it problem, but if other readers are still concerned, then the solution would be to either book one of the rooms that are away from the main building, or go and join in with the people in the restaurant or bar.

Value for money – You’ll need a healthy budget, but it’s worth it. Spoil yourself!

Location – Beautiful. Harbour island is a feast for the eyes – pink sands, turquoise seas, pastel-coloured houses…!

Rocky (the resident dog) – Even he’s got a smiley face and wants to be your friend!

The downside – Having to leave. 9 nights just isn’t enough. It means that we’ll have to come back (damn!)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simon L
donpurdy, Owner at Rock House, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Simon, just wanted to say thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We are so glad we could make your first experience on our island special and we look forward to your next visit! Wishing you all the best for a healthy and prosperous 2013. Best, Don, Eric, Jenny, Flo and the entire Rock House Staff....and of course "Rocky"!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spend 9 days in December and it was truly a gift. The Rock House is a private escape on a beautiful island. There are only 8 rooms so it is a really intimate, quiet environment. The owners and staff call you by name and because it's only grown ups there is little chaos. The food is as fresh as can be always with a creative twist. My husband grew up going to the Island but we were given insider insight to what was happening. Local BBQ's to great new restaurants.
We will have many years on the Island in the future and the Rock House is the only place we will stay. When the kids are with us we will go for a great dinner and warm welcome.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jennifer K
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I came to Rock House for our honeymoon. We had heard and read good things about RH and Harbour Island, and both exceeded our expectations. The trip was more than worth it. We had a direct flight from Detroit to Nassau, and then a short Southern Air flight to Eleuthra. It was 20 minutes. From there it was a 5 minute land cab and 5 minute water taxi to Harbour Island. First of all, the island itself is perfect. Small and friendly, and a bit off the beaten path. When we arrived, they knew us by name, and were genuinely happy to see us. The hotel is very nice, 10 or so rooms, each a bit different. Bed, flat screen, wifi, walk in closet, mini bar, awesome bathroom, and a generator (the power goes out on the island periodically, its no big deal, but at RH, you don't miss a beat).

We stayed in one of the garden view rooms (the Parrot room). Each room has its own private cabana right outside the room, but there are also individual cabanas and comfortable chaise lounges by the pool just a few steps away. The beds are extremely comfortable. There are no alarm clocks, and we literally would spend the first few minutes every few days debating the day of the week. It is simply fantastic. The complimentary breakfast is perfect, fresh fruit, coconut-banana bread (delicious), muffins, and amazing homemade yogurt. Flo and Marva are super pleasant and really get the day started off right. The hotel faces the bay--a great view from the dining room, and has a great heated pool, the pictures simply don't do it justice.

The beach is a 5 minute walk or 2 minute golf cart ride. Dunmore town is great. It is easy to navigate and people are very friendly. I went running each day, my arms were as tired as my legs from waving to locals sitting outside or riding in their golf carts. There are very few cars here, most everyone, tourists, locals, celebs, etc... use golf carts. There is the occasional work truck.

The food on the island is amazing, not cheap, but worth every penny. Rock House has the best food, Jenny, the chef, was inventive, but also focused on the details of each meal. The flavors were pretty much spot on for every meal. The Landing (right next door) was also very good, and Coral Sands on the beach had GREAT lunches. Runaway Hill was a great little dinner spot, and for a change of scenery, head to Aquapazzo, a delicious Italian restaurant 5 minutes from the center of town. Dunmore deli is an excellent lunch spot (in town, not on the beach), featuring delicious sandwiches and salads.

Each afternoon, we would return from the beach and lounge by the pool at Rock House, we would have a relaxer or goombay smash, both great drinks. Don (the owner) and his dog Rocky (awesome) were always around ensuring we were ok. Don is very hands on and not above doing "real work" himself - from delivering our apps at dinner to picking up the occasional wrapper on the floor.

The general manager, Eric, is fantastic. He is super helpful and very very friendly. We often would enjoy a chat by the pool discussing our day or what we were going to eat later. He had a genuine interest in the conversation and we felt that by the end of the trip, he was our friend rather than someone just doing his job.

The rest of the staff also hit it out of the park, Vanessa and Rosebud were great at the front desk each morning, and I cannot say enough about Flo and Marva, they really went the extra mile to ensure everyone was happy.

When we travel, no matter where we go, we do not eat in chain restaurants, and do not stay in chain hotels. Rock House was right in our wheel house! We purposely eschewed "typical" honeymoon spots in over-developed, huge resorts. At RH, we became friendly with the people staying at the hotel, and friendly with other people on the island. We found ourselves waving to people we snorkeled with or passed on the beach the day before.

We are sad to go, and will definitely be back. We had really high expectations - this was our honeymoon and we were spending a lot of money on the whole experience. Every expectation was exceeded beyond measure. It was a great experience we will always look back on.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank John T
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family and I have cruised the Bahamas every Christmas for the past four years. I have consistently been disappointed in the food I have eaten, but have gotten used to the fact that food is just not something to think about when traveling there. Well...no more!! We had Christmas dinner at the Rock House and it was not only the best meal I have ever eaten in the Bahamas, but one of the best meals I have had, period! Sadly, none of us had the Christmas special (turkey, stuffing, etc.) but everything from the stone crabs to the spinach salad was sublime. I had Junkanoo' Capellini. It was amazingly delicious, but didn't compare to the cider brined pork tenderloin served to my friend next to me. My boring family all got the crispy pan seared chicken which turned out to be anything but boring. We were really all too full for dessert, but knew we had to try it, so shared a chocolate pudding and frozen ice cream turtle pie. Both were some of the best desserts I have ever tasted! It isn't easy to get to Harbor Island, but if you go, you MUST splurge on dinner at the Rock House!!

Room Tip: Did not stay here, just ate here, so leaving most of the ratings blank.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family