“Very nice family vacation”
Review of Pink Sands Resort

Pink Sands Resort
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Harbour Island
New York City, New York
“Very nice family vacation”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My family and I just returned from a wonderful 5 night stay at Pink Sands. From the second we arrived, Mark the manager and his team went out of their way to please. My wife, three boys and I had an oceanfront cottage that was very clean and updated. Hot water was a little bit of an issue at times but the access to the beach and the views from the cottage completely offset the occasional luke warm shower.

We have been to a lot of beaches in all parts of the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean and this was the best. The pink sand and the size create a wonderful semi-private atmosphere which is such a treat. Ive been to a lot of beaches that are nice and it is a bummer when someone is sitting right on top of you. Not at Pink Sands!

The food was good and the service was fine. You just have realize that you are in the islands and there is something called "island time". There are a lot of worse places to sit through a lengthy meal, that for sure.

The whole island is very expensive and Pink Sands is no exception. Go prepared to leave with a significantly lighter wallet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Pink Sands was the perfect place to honeymoon. Our experience was exquisite. The two expectations we were as follows:

*Expected world-class beach; got private beach access trail, a cottage overlooking the sea, perfectly refreshing, clear waters, reefs to explore (with free snorkel and fins), and the softest sand imaginable. Hold it up in your hand and you'll see the tiny pieces of pink coral!

*Expected a private beach cottage; got privately situated cottage with big sundeck, gorgeous interior design, tile floors and a downy bed. I was in love with my walk-in closet after having been between hotels with tiny closets for my wedding.

The beach and the privacy (with some luxury) were what we envisioned, and Pink Sands beyond delivered.

Here are our additional delights:

*The grounds. Pink Sands is magically beautiful, connected by paved trails, with the main lodge (in a sort of Balinese/Indonesian teak style) and the Blue Bar (overlooking the sea) easily accessible, yet just far enough away to ensure privacy.
*The charming Dunmore town just a short jaunt
*Amenities and excursions. Nearby Valentines organizes snorkeling trips. The front desk can arrange for an in-room deep tissue massage. Try that with the door open --> luxury. They also arranged jetski rentals through Lil Shan's.
*The people. Wally (Walewski), Tekeishia (housekeeping), Suzanne, Rashell (?? from the adorable boutique) and Mark made our experience pleasant and seamless. Take a moment to get to know the lovely people there. They don't often get a chance to share their story, and listening to local voices will surely enrich your trip.
*The seamlessness of the experience. When you arrive at the airport, you and your bags will be whisked away and within 20 minutes be greeted at Pink Sands by a gracious host (Mark Kitchen)

As a friend advised me, "you can't really go wrong on Harbour Island", and we found that to be true. The next-door Coral Sands Resort (same owners) is equally stunning while slightly more compact and less private, and further down, the Dunmore also has cottages (though not quite as stunning outside) and absolutely the best food on the island.

Regarding dining,brace yourself for high prices. Part of this is the island economy of imports, but part is willingness to pay. Once you prepare yourself, let the money flow, because you will eat well. The main dining room at Pink Sands has an excellent lobster risotto and pepperpot. The blue bar serves a tasty grilled calamari salad and conch fritters. The breakfast has the best darned devlied eggs and OJ possible, and the pinapple is fresh from Eleuthera. Do explore. For dinner, the most inventive yet reasonable fare (with a rooftop table) was found at Blu Bungalow, while you can find a $10 lunch at the Queen Conch (conch salad), prepared before your eyes. (Hint: don't go to Queen Conch for dinner - it was a 180 difference. Just terrible and expensive. Also, the owner's husband offered to engrave a conch for us with our names, and after 3 visits to check, he flaked. Annoying.)

Caveats/slight disappointments:

Our kayak was taking on water and capsized. Good thing we had the life vests! Apparently this was not a new issue, so life vests should have been required.

Don't go for the pool. Go for the beach.

Voila! Go find yourself in paradise at Harbour Island, for a perfectly breathtaking honeymoon.

Room Tip: Long Cay was perfect: private, had a trail to the beach, and yet was a 2 minute walk to breakfast
2 Thank ktimene
Nassau
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Reading the mixed reviews on this property, I do not know what the negative reporters are expecting. "poor quality devil's eggs" (presumably meant "deviled eggs") they are not great, but the buffet breakfast includes many different cereals, breads, cheeses, fruit juices and almost unlimited smoked salmon capers and onion. Who needs poor quality devil's eggs!
The staff is friendly and helpful, the dinner restaurant is first class and the lunch restaurant is a good beachfront restaurant.
Yes the prices are equivalent to a real 3 star hotel in London, but then you have to stay in London. You come to the Pink Sands as a treat or something special. You are not looking for an all inclusive resort or the people that want to go to an all inclusive resort.
There are some minor things that need fixing, but you are in a hurricane zone, it is in the Bahamas (and all that that entails with regard to workmanship) and the property is right on the sea which is like living on a yacht as far as maintenance is concerned.
We were there for 3 nights and loved it. Management and staff were exceptional.
We are certainly planning on returning next year.

Room Tip: You do not have to go for the sea view rooms, the gardens are lovely and you are going to spend a lo...
miami, fl
Reviewed June 25, 2012

First let me start by saying I have been to Harbour Island 3 times in my life. Once I stayed on a boat at Valentines, second I stayed at Runaway Hill, this last time I stayed with my boyfriend at Pink Sands and it was by far the nicest stay on the Island to date. Its the Bahamas, I know not to expect Ritz Carlton like rooms. If I wanted that I would go to the Ritz. I wanted beautiful beaches, great food and relaxing atmosphere. Harbour Island is literally heaven on earth. I joined "Iprefer" hotels and received a 20% discount on my stay. We stayed in an ocean view room and the view was beyond gorgeous!! The rooms were large and comfortable. Could they use some updating? Sure. Did it affect my stay? Not in the least. The only complain I do have, that I failed to mention to the staff was the fan in my room (cole point north) was very squeaky and made it impossible to sleep with it on. The room was rather hot so I wish the fan wasnt so loud. But other than that, the room was nice, tidy and spacious. I have to mention again, the view was to die for. The Blue Bar serves a great Continental breakfast with amazing views of the ocean, they also have a a la cart menu for other breakfast items like pancakes, french toast etc. We enjoyed our breakfast and the staff every morning. For lunch we ate at Sip Sip, $48 for quesadilla, so what! Its vacation! Dinner we spent at Rock House and Landing. I would definately go back to Landing, maybe not Rock House. Super cool dining area but food wasnt that great and the price was a little high. Landing on the other hand was superb all around.
Back to Pink Sands. The staff was beyond gracious and friendly. One person sticks out in particular to us and his name is "Adolphus." From the moment we arrived he was friendly, nice and genuinly cared about our stay and wether we were enjoying it. When my boyfriend left our house keys in the safe, we had already arrived at the airport, Adolphus took a cab, then a boat ride to the airport to give them back to us. Talk about service. I cant say enough wonderful things about the hotel. I hope to return again and again. If you want a truly romantic, personal, and relaxing stay then Pink Sands should def be your choice. We had the time of our lives!!

3 Thank katiem210
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Private setting, easy access to the beautiful pink beaches. Perfect for those wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of a daily routine

Room Tip: Ocean view room was excellent, easy access to beautiful pink sand beach.
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Agreed with the other reviews that Pink Sands is not worth the price they charge. In addition to the high room price, they try to nickle and dime you at every turn. The continental breakfast -- muffins, bran, cereal, fruit, and poor quality devil's eggs. If you would like hot eggs, bacon, croissant, ect., the resorts charges you for them. I chuckled when I saw that a bottle of Kim Crawford sauvignon blanc was going to run me around $85-90 at dinner. I mean, c'mon, who are kidding charging that price.

While the rooms are fine, I would suggest trying other resorts or rental before spending for what pink sands charges.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank John A
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This hotel looks WAY better in their pictures than in person. We stayed in "Bird Cay" cottage. It's very weathered and run down. I will say that the staff is extremely friendly. The food is WAY overpriced and mediocre at best. This beach is absolutely beautiful and very clean. We visited at the end of May and the weather was not on our side. We take 1 family trip to the carribean each Summer. This time the rain ruined nearly the entire trip. We tried to get Pink Sands to refund us a few nights so we could leave early and go some place sunny. The manager refused to give us a refund and we were forced to remain on this rainy island. I feel our money was wasted as we were in search of a sunny beach vacation. Instead we were holed up in a less than stellar room waiting for storms to pass.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Gregory Town
Tingum Village Hotel
Tingum Village Hotel
#1 of 4 in Harbour Island

Been to Pink Sands Resort? Share your experiences!