“Absolutely A Must Stay!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Coral Sands Hotel

Coral Sands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Harbour Island
West Coast - USA
“Absolutely A Must Stay!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

Though I read other recent reviews before taking our trip that were not positive, I can't believe we stayed at the same place. It is absolutely beautiful and the service was EXCELLENT. The staff was attentive and pleasant throughout our stay. We never had a long wait for anything - at the restaurant, at the front desk, on the beach. We found the manager, Pamela, and the staff to be very professional and receptive to any requests we had from requesting a mini-refrigerator to arranging transportation. We were asked routinely by staff if there was anything we needed, were we enjoying our stay, etc. Our room, which was the master suite with wrap-around terrace, was lovely --- large, comfortable, perfectly decorated, very clean....everything we could have hoped for. The grounds are well groomed, swimming pool area lovely and the beach, superb. The restaurant and bar are equally enjoyable - great food and drinks.
Harbour Island can be expensive as destination islands often are, as everything must be shipped in. The Bahamian people are so kind, polite and hospitable. The Coral Sands follows suit and has earned repeat visits from us. It was a great place in which to enjoy the beauty of the Bahamas and not to be missed. From the room to the staff, we found it lovely and made for such an enjoyable trip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

The rudest management I've encountered in my years of traveling, the s resort’s faults are so numerous that I will list the most annoying of them hodgepodge – ignore them at your peril!

No mini-fridge – A mini-fridge costs $100 to buy. You figure that at 300.00 a night, you should not have to walk all the way to the bar to requisition a cold, expensive drink from the ever-unpleasant and rude staff. In short, no matter the time of day - or night - impossible to get a cold drink without going WELL out of your way and paying through the nose for itThis was our second trip to Harbour Island and our first stay at Coral Sands. Harbour Island has some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen and is quaint and authentic with some really fine dining spots, however, I was disappointed overall with the Coral Sands and the low level of service we received. I glanced at some of the other reviews and I would agree with the general consensus that the property is very poorly managed.the staff--in general--was not friendly or particularly helpful. On the contrary, they often seemed rather grumpy and I wonder if the fact that a 15% tip was automatically added to every single meal bill helped lead to this behavior t there was just an overall bad feeling I got when I was there.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2009

My partner and I went to the Coral sands hotel for few days in July 2009, before going to Havana. The first impression was good , well only for few minutes, as once we arrived in our overrated sea view suite, we soon realised that the cleanliness of the room was less than average , dirty shower cubicle with some pubic hairs, rusty pipes and dusty wooden floor. I went to the reception to complain but the lady at the desk couldn`t care less and with a bored tone told me that she will check with the room service. Over the next few days still no improvement.
On the first morning we went to the restaurant for breakfast . There was 4 waitresses inside talking and only once their conversation was over that one of them volontered to bring the menus. after more than 10 minutes wait, she showed up again and we finally managed to have our expensive and disappointing breakfast. We then headed to the beach. Very nice and clean but to get covered beach chairs you have to go early, there was two beach staff sitting by the shed , sleeping during the whole day. Not once I have seen those guys doing anything than sitting and sleeping, on top of that you have from the mid morning, an invasion of non hotel residents with kids taking over chairs and parasols , who probably bribed the beach attendant, as one morning while choosing a place to stay on the beach I suddenly saw one of the guy running towards me and with a very unpleasant tone of voice, asked me what I was doing and if I was a guest at the hotel , that was on the fourth day of my stay !! , so visibly well asleep for the first 3 days to notice my presence.
There was few other unpleasant episodes that I won`t mention, but overall this expensive hotel does not deserve any stars. The owner should seriously be concerned about his staff. By the end of our stay I never been so happy to check out . I did feel that once the staff realised that we were a gay couple after few hours of our arrival, they wouldn`t care much about their duty to serve and make sure that every single guest, no matter who and with whom there are, will leave happy with great memory of their stay. That was certainly not the case for us!

TO ANYONE WHO ARE AFTER THE GREAT BAHAMAS EXPERIENCE, PLEASE AVOID THIS HOTEL !!!

O Delannoy London UK

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank luisoli
Va Beach, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

Way too much fun to elaborate on in this review. Hotel was clean as a bean, service was fantastic, hard to top...then you hit the pink sand beach. Bam! Awesome! Rent a golf cart and go have fun. Dinner at the rock house was insanely good. Big time celeb watch spot, too...kind of funny who you'll bump into (literally) at the local markets. We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
baltimore, md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2009

I just returned from my second visit to Coral Sands. My third trip is already in the planning stages. Harbour Island (or 'Briland as they call it) requires a little more travel but it mixes a great authenticity with a first class resort. Unlike other spots in the Caribbean where you feel like you are inhabiting a different universe than the locals, Briland makes you feel at home wherever you roam in your golf cart. Coral Sands also is just the right mix of style with a wonderful casual atmosphere. Nothing is better than eating breakfast with a cool tropical breeze blowing and knowing that the day is all still in front of you.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

My husband, 2 year old son and I went to Pink sands/ Coral Sands for a friends wedding. The staff was very pleasant and always ready to help, including giving my son some cherries as a midnight treat. The rooms were always clean and fresh as well as the common areas. The wedding was beautiful and very well prepared - every detail was well thought out. And the beach was magnificent! The pool looked refreshing but with the alluring pink beach and turquoise ocean we never used the pool. I will surely be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Edinburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2009

This was a potential disaster. Having travelled half way around the world, from the UK, we had pre booked in this hotel. And paid a substantial deposit.

On arrival, we were shown to a room above reception. It was just awful. Small, not too clean, and the room had a terrace outside that was publicly accessible. Without doubt, this was not only the most expensive room I had ever rented, but the worst. I went to reception, and indicated I was unhappy. The views of the rooms on the internet (helpfully there were computers in reception that could vouch this) were great. This was not. I suspect it was former staff accommodation. In any event, I asked to be moved. The hotel was, allegedly, full.

I was quite prepared to leave the island, even going back to Miami if necessary. I walked over to Pink Sands, on the other side of the road. I asked the girl at reception if they had rooms, and she said she had. She showed me a room in a little bungalow which was absolutely superb. I told her that I was at Coral sands, above reception and she rolled her eyes heavenward. It spoke a thousand words.

It turned out that the two hotels are co owned. Without me asking, she arranged for transfer of my deposit, and gave a discount which meant this new hotel was cheaper than the prior one. I was thoroughly disappointed. The contrast between the two hotels, even the public areas and bars, was incredible and the price difference was negligible. The lesson is this: stay at Pink Sands, with tranquillity, a great pool, great staff, and almost right on the beach. We had our own little path to the beach and swam every day in the ocean. The bar was wonderful, the food great, the staff exceptional. Our private patio at the back was, well, private. And, so close we were to ending up with a disappointing holiday.....

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Gregory Town
Tingum Village Hotel
Tingum Village Hotel
#1 of 4 in Harbour Island

Been to Coral Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!