“Relaxation at its best!”
Review of Coral Sands Hotel

Coral Sands Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Harbour Island
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at Coral Sands and had a fabulous, relaxing vacation even with 3 children, ages 9, 5, and 3. Even though we stayed at one of the less expensive rooms I never felt cramped or uncomfortable. The pull out bed was great for the kids and we always had fresh towels and water delivered to our rooms. The grounds are beautiful and the short walk to the amazing beach was always met with friendly waves from the staff who seemed to enjoy having kids around the property. The complimentary breakfast was delicious with good coffee and juice as well as plenty of croissants, pastries, and toast to choose from. We took advantage of the little grocery stores on the island to get lunch/snack items to help keep costs down since it is very expensive to eat out. The beach is amazing and when we went in June we practically had it to ourselves. I would love to return in the future!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank milanfamily

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hotel is a gorgoeus wooden old-style colonial type building. The hotel is located right on Pink Sands Beach. The room we stayed in was very clean, had a tv, wifi, fridge and with a sea-view. The room was cleaned to a high standard every day.

The beach is simply breathtaking, one of the best I have ever seen. Crystal clear water and powder like sand (with small granules of pink sand mixed in, hence the name of the beach). Is very quiet and about 3 miles long so perfect for sunset walks.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar in the main building and also another sea-front restaurant/bar. The food is excellent but pricey. Breakfast was included in the room price but was very basic and any decent extras like bacon or sausage were an expensive $6 each. We went for breakfast several times to the Valentine Dock which was about half the cost.

You can also head out to the town (10 mins walk or 2 mins on a golf kart) to eat at the Valentines Dock or a local place like Queen Conch. The hotel will give you a map with all the places clearly marked on it. Would recommend going to the bar next to Queen Conch for a few evening beers (Sands Beer was the nicest).

I would definitely stay here again. My only criticism would be that I paid "in full" beforehand, yet when I arrived at the hotel I was met with another cost of $160 for local fees and taxes. I didnt mind paying but I prefer to be told in advance so I can budget accordingly.

Arriving at the hotel is easy. We flew from Miami to Eleuthera with AA. When you arrive there will be several taxis waiting to take you ($5 per head, the drivers wont try and rip you off as the price is set) to the dock to take you to Harbour Island. Water taxis run all day and we walked straight on to one ($5 a head) for the quick 10min crossing to Harbour Island. We then paid a guy with a golf kart $10 to take us to Coral Sands. From the time we landed we were at the hotel within 45mins.

Some advice, golf karts are $40-$50 to rent for the day. You can walk around the island easily enough but with the heat and general holiday laziness its good to have one for you whole stay. Dunmore Kart rentals is across the road from the dock. Also, Coral Sands will help you rent a kart. We spent a day just driving around the island. You can go where you please and all the locals were very friendly and I felt perfectly safe at all times (except when my girlfriend was driving the kart!).

I would also recommend stocking up on alcohol in the duty-free at Miami airport as alcohol is expensive on the island and the local shops dont have much choice. I bought three bottles of Moet for $50 each at the airport. On the island the price was triple that. I would also recommend to stock up beforehand on whatever medical products you might need as I didnt see a Pharmacy on the island, although there probably is one. The same goes for snacks etc..

Room Tip: Sea view is a must
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NigelTufnell
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We first saw this hotel some 10 years ago and have had an ambition to return since and we were not disappointed. A lovely island and a lovely hotel. Food was good and generous, beach was lovely and the staff friendly and helpful. One regret, there was a power cut one night and a torn fly screen left us with a rather uncomfortable night with the window closed, an explanation/ apology would have been nice but nothing was said.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank B W
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Needed a break to just relax and chill out by myself. It couldn't have been a better place than that... Lovely hotel on one of the most gorgeous beach I've ever seen! I love to run and there was unforgettable morning jogs... right after being waken up by roosters ;) The food was awesome, the service was great, the island is such a nice one to discover on your golf cart. Well kept secret for celebrities from all over the world. As for the Wi-Fi, well... be aware, you're in the Bahamas, so it means, it won't work like you think it will work.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MmeGiguere
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had a delightful week at Coral Sands on Harbour Island! If you are looking for a laid back vacation on an exquisite pink sand beach where everything is taken care of, this is the place.
Every morning we had an excellent breakfast with friendly, personal service on the patio overlooking the beach. When we returned to our room, house keeping would have already tidied up, and they'd be back again to turn down the bed, change towels, etc. Even if our room was part
of the older section of the hotel, it was spotless. I felt like I was staying at a family plantation
house with a large veranda overlooking the water, a ceiling fan, dark mahogany furniture and old photographs decorating the walls. When we needed to stay an extra night, we were able to sample the luxurious accommodations of the newer beach cottages with magnificent views and private beach access. We loved spending time under thatched beach umbrellas reading, relaxing and having a tropical smoothie or a cocktail brought to us. I walked the three mile beach everyday, and never ceased to be amazed at it's beauty. It is not built up; the hotels seem to fit into the landscape, and everyone is friendly. The staff at Coral Sands went out of their way to be helpful. Our bartender made wonderful cocktails. Dinner was delightful in the main house; and lunch and/or snacks were available all day at the beach house. We were particularly impressed with the manager who won our hearts the moment she greeted us with a glass of champagne and an informative map of this tiny treasure of an island.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pelcat
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Checking in to the Coral Sands it's obvious that the property was fabulous its heyday. And I was hoping that it hadn't lost that charm ... I really wanted to fall in love with the hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel fell short, so if you stay, don't expect anything more than a basic stay. Tired rooms with mediocre service. When we checked in we asked for a luggage rack; never received. Our room had not been properly cleaned with visible piles of sand on on a chair; it took 3 days for someone to clean. Towels & bathrobes were not replaced after the room was cleaned. Our dirty towels were left on the floor by housekeeping. Only two pillow on a king size bed. Dust bunnies in the hall that were these for days. The list goes on. The island is a fabulous place. The locals are wonderful. And the lack of cars is refreshing (people travel by golf cart - or walking). But this property, well it just needs a facelift.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the newer building - if possible
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank alyxia67
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have stayed at Coral Sands and loved it!!! It is a lovely hotel on a beautiful island. To insure that it stays that way I hope that the person, several comments ago, keeps her/his promise to never return to the island or Coral Sands Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 mi away
The Cove Eleuthera
The Cove Eleuthera
#1 of 1 in Gregory Town

Been to Coral Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!