“LOVE The Landing”
Review of The Landing

The Landing
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Harbour Island
Reviewed July 7, 2011

After many stays at The Landing over the past ten years,
I feel compelled once again to share how much I love this place.

I have however just read a few recent reviews and cannot understand some of the complaints, such as:
"it is expensive" or "over-priced", and "staff are rude".

First of all, Harbour Island IS expensive.
Everything is shipped over there and if you see the effort that everyone has to go to to get supplies, you would wonder why its not even more expensive!
There are no surprises when it comes to the cost of hotel rooms either, as one usually has to confirm beforehand where one is staying, therefore one knows the prices upfront.
"Over-priced" at The Landing just does not compute - as it costs less to stay there than many other places on the island.
There are no staff running around asking you ten times a day if everything is okay, or if that was the best meal you have ever eaten. I got that recently at a large hotel on Nevis, and almost checked out early because of the constant fawning- which seems so false to me. The staff at The Landing are some of the nicest Bahamians I have ever met. They are sincere and always seems to perform well from what I have observed.

The wooden floors creak in some rooms .. yes!
I love that sound. Reminds me of being in an old home and makes me feel safe and loved.

It is not on the ocean, its on the bay - and sitting on the porch having breakfast, watching the residents go about their day .. is a friendly way to start my day.

Once or twice over the years I have requested something extra and was very warmly supplied with it. No grumbling from anyone, just genuinely pleased to make me happy.

For those who like authentic experiences, in a charming environment, I think you will love this place as much as I do.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank cooklah

Reviewed June 7, 2011

When we arrived at The Landing, we were very surprised to see that it was right on the dock.
Not a pretty little fishing jetty, but the island's main dock.
None the less we headed into reception... to find it locked.
We wondered around the hotel which was utterly deserted. We finaly found a kitchen porter after venturing into the staff quarters, who found us a receptionist.
We were shown to our room, the Jacaranda cottage, which was RIGHT next to the pool and on a path used for everyone else in the hotel. We had to have the curtains drawn all the time as there were so many people looking in.
We asked if there were any other rooms available as we were very disappointed. We were grumpily shown The Attic room, which was beautiful (and amazingly enough, cheaper!) and eventually we were allowed to move. When we thanked the receptionist she rolled her eyes and said that we were the least of her problems, all the guests were complete nightmares.
If you do stay here, I would reccomend the attic room, as it really is beautiful.
The pool is small and not a nice place to relax at all. The sunbeds are old and dirty and it's certainly not the sweet little place it looks in the pictures.
The restaurant is very good, the food is delicious.
The staff were exceptionally rude throughout our stay and really did spoil the atmosphere.
If I went to harbour island again, I would stay at The Dunmore. It's beautiful and the people are lovely. Failing that, Coral Sands is also gorgeous.

Room Tip: Ask for Attic Room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R0sieR00
toxicfree, Owner at The Landing, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

I sent an owners response to this review a week ago and it has not been posted nor have I had a response from Trip Advisor.
I have tried to respond as an owner to several other reviews but nothing was posted and no one responded.
Do we have any voice at all?

Tracy

Reviewed June 1, 2011

The hotel is nice, little too expensive for the room you get. Anyway, I stayed there 1 night and they charged me twice on my visa! Be careful and check your visa statement. When I called to ask for explanation and reimbursement they told me they will reimburse me (still they haven't and it has been a few days!) and they even didn't apologize for the mistake. I would not go there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank axice78
Reviewed May 14, 2011

The Landing is imperfect, but with the right expectations you will have a lovely time. It is a set of converted houses dating from the 18th and 19th centuary - a clapboard provenance that gives it the edge on some of the other island options. It is located in the town, by the waterfront, and this reflects your first choice when coming to harbour island. Do you stay in the town (west side of the island), or one of the hotels abutting the pink sand beach you are bound to be visiting regularly on the east side. It is only a 10 min walk though (less than 5 min by golf cart - the transport of choice for even the glitterati). Being in town definitely seems more sociable, and here comes The Landings greates attraction, but also it's Achilles heel.

At it's heart, The Landing is a restaurant (and bar), and the breakfast and evening social centre for the expatriate community. The food is excellent (although pricey) and dinner is an eavesdroppers delight. The staff are lovely (although it seemed to take becoming a regular to crack the ice with one or two). Toby T, the co-owner, is a great host. And sod the expense, their rum is exceptional.

However, It keeps restaurant hours! Which means if you need a drink, bite to eat, or advice between 3 and 6pm, or at odd hours, you are out of luck. Although ice is in plentiful supply, a fridge in the room would have helped (beer at the convenience store up the road is 1/3rd of the price). You can work round it, but it's a pain (particularly between 4 and 6 where the only place open is the bar at valentines harbour).

We stayed in the Buttonwood room, which is exceptionally attractive. This is plantation chic, all hardwoods and white. None of the chintz and rattan so common in the carribean. I is in the recently converted library building, and a distance from the restaurant/bar so this cannot be heard (although it is near the freezers and generator - although on power off days the whole village humms). The Landing has 3 other buildings. The main building, which seems best avoided due to noise from the restaurant, the captains house with the best views, and the cottage (which struck us as too close to the restaurant patio to be ideal).

Lastly I should address price. You need to come to harbour island with a realisation that value is a relative term - nothing is cheap. The Landing is pricey by normal standard, but actually at the lower end for harbour island. Breakfast can be dear, but my advise, if this is an issue, is to wander up to the bakery (5min away) or eat at the cafe in the same block. I must admit that with a lower price, or full service (even a fridge in room) I would have given it 4stars. It is not what they did that was wrong (nice staff, clean rooms etc) but it is a sense of frustration about what the landing could be that means it gets 3 stars (for now)!

Room Tip: Room on 2nd floor of library
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank APURKISS
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Yes, the hotel is clean and the location is good and the room decor is average, but the price is just outrageous. The hotel is very noisy (and I don't mean the room above the bar). The floors are creaky and you can hear everyone next door to you, in the hallway, etc. The dining room menu and wine prices are also outrageous.

This is a tiny little boutique hotel on a remote tiny little island charging prices you would expect in New York City!

And so much is made of the fact that India Hicks (yes, we are forever told she was one of Princess Di's bridesmaids and, yes, her grandfather was Lord Mountbatten, and yes, again, we are told she is one of Prince Charles godchildren) redecorated it. Had it not been for her <celebrity> status, no one would bother going to The Landing. It is just overpriced and nothing special.

Do yourself a favour and find a nice cottage that you can rent on a weekly basis for almost half of what you pay at The Landing. At least with the cottage, it will be quiet, you can cook your own food, buy your own wine and visit the island.

Forewarned is forearmed!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank SusanJones_11
Reviewed April 6, 2011

So beautiful, and peaceful, except for the roosters, which are not the hotel's fault! Just loved it, it was almost hard to leave the room for the pink sand beaches, that is how beautiful the rooms are.
It was definitely a splurge, we usually travel much more economically, but it was worth it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2011

On a whim I decided to book a night at The Landing, so that after dinner there we wouldn't have to rush back to the house we had in Eleuthera. Great Goombay-Smash-induced idea!

I didn't want to spend a fortune for one night; got the Cocobey room for $200. Not cheap, but everything is relative, and for a lovely place to stay on HI, it seemed reasonable. The room was small, but it was just what I expected based on the web site photos. Immaculately clean, a large, newly renovated bathroom, A/C, a king canopy bed, and a few well chosen antiques. Definitely Island Colonial style, and very nicely done, as a small space requires a light touch. Room is on the ground floor, with a little balcony looking out over the street, with the harbour off to the left.
The hotel pool was warm and wonderful; took a dip before grabbing a towel and heading off to the Pink Sands beach across the island- a 5-10 min walk. After returning and showering, we grabbed a bottle of Afro Head wine from the gift shop and sat on some beautiful patio furniture and gazed out at the harbour. Bliss, really.
Dinner on the patio was great- perfectly cooked grouper and lobster, friendly service. We slept well on the comfortable bed. Bear in mind, on HI you WILL hear roosters all night, but that's part of the charm. After a walk through the quiet morning, breakfast back on the patio of coconut bread and lime butter with fresh OJ.
All in all, I am sure we'll return to The Landing next year, for a longer stay.
Also- on HI, lunch at Dunmore Deli is great- the Islander sandwich is fab. Conch Queen and Sip Sip are the other best lunch options. Although we didn't stay there, the frozen Goombay Smashes at Rock House are just crazy delicious.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 9 in Harbour Island
The Cove Eleuthera
The Cove Eleuthera
#1 of 1 in Gregory Town

Been to The Landing? Share your experiences!