All reviewsguest houseother guestshonesty barthe east coastget awaya lovely stayopen airair conditioningexplore the islandceiling fansoup bowlanimal flower cavesound of the wavesatlantis hotelbreakfast and dinnerthe atlantic oceanself catering
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was the first place I stayed for my first trip to Barbados and my first Caribbean vacation. (I've been to Haiti but not for vacation.) I travel solo much of the time as my husband can't always make time to go away. I spend a lot of time looking for the best place, which for me is average price, less status quo and more adventurous but with at least minimum amenities. It does help to have a rental car or to make taxi arrangements when you want to go to another location. I stayed 5 nights and got a rental car on the third day.

Sea-U meets the criteria. It has many excellent reviews that reveal its special niche on the far side of Barbados at Bathsheba. Since I was new, I was happy to find everything as advertised. The small guest house sits well above the Atlantic Ocean with a view that is really exceptional. It isn't far down from the building's perch to the beach but it is a rather steep path.

One of the charming amenities is the plethora of hammocks tied to the coconut palms. I spent a number of hours the first day just lounging in the shade and loving the constant sea breeze that keeps the area cooled off. There are also a number of beach chaises if you want to relax in the sun. Sea Cat, who tends the grounds, is usually there to offer a fresh coconut if you like and he has a lot of information if you want to chat about Barbados and activities.

The room (see other comments below) had a comfortable bed, two night stands, two chairs, a small table and two taller chairs for the kitchen bar. There is a small safe in the closet, which had a nice number of hangers and plenty of space for hanging clothes and folded items. The kitchen had a sink, mini-fridge, a few plates, glasses, cups and flat ware. No micro wave or other cooking facility. There was a mini coffee maker and electric tea pot. The bathroom had toiletries and towels for two. It had a walk-in shower, sink and toilet. Everything was modern, clean and in good working order.

Staff did a good job both before arrivals in email Q and A regarding my concerns and after arrival. The night watchman helped me with me luggage (one bag) when I arrived just before midnight. I managed the bag myself when I departed several days later. All financial transactions were satisfactory and there were no surprizes in that respect.

Breakfast is provided in the price and is available everyday. There was always cereal, fresh fruit, pastry and breads, and eggs cooked to order if you choose. Also, coffeeandr tea were on the counter. It is a self-serve process and you order your eggs from one of the kitchen staff. Dinner is not included in the price and you sign up for it in advance. It is served family style so you sit at a large table with all or most of the guests who are staying for dinner. The food is good Barbados cuisine and the menu is posted in the morning. One starter, usually soup, one entree, and one dessert for everyone. Diet preferences can be accommodated for most. Depending on the number of nights you stay, I would recommend eating here at least once. There are few other places to eat nearby.

Keep in mind that the building is a wooden structure in island style. I mention this because in my instance it affected the noise level from the guests in the next room and, to some extent, from guests outside. I was looking forward to a quiet, relaxing few days before starting to explore Barbados in general. After arriving late from a day of travel, I awoke the first morning at 5.45 am to a child's voice on the other side of the wall. That was surprizing since I didn't expect children to be there at all. (Priceline says Sea-U is Adults Only. My mistake as children over seven are permitted and that is stated in the on-line information. The couple and their daughter were early risers and I am not even when I try.

That night I decided to go with the flow and went to bed at 9 pm. Unfortunately, someone decided to have a loud get together in the dining area between 10 and midnight and that noise awakened me. By the way, there is no way to communicate with staff from the room other than to get up and go find someone. I didn't feel like dressing to figure out the noise.

I did chat with staff about both issues. The next door noise level changed on the fourth morning when they were so quiet I thought they had checked out. The party noise was apparently a one time event and went unexplained. I know that all this was my particular problem, that such things happen everywhere in the best places, and that might have insisted on a better resolution. I share this as words to the wise as I appreciate the candor of other TA reviewers.

The ceiling fan cooled the room adequately. I did not experience any mosquitoes at all nor any other unwanted creatures. The windows and doors have shutters and only the doors didn't have screens.

Returning to Sea-U is a possibility for me as it is an enchanting location.

Room Tip: Room #1 is right next to the office, kitchen, dining area and stairway to the second floor. The back wall is next to a parking area for Sea-U, which is right next to the road down the hill to the Atlantis Hotel. The road provided noise and fuel fumes at the beginning of the work day. Depending on your ability to 'sleep through it' or your desire to be close to the action, this may or may not be a good choice. If I were to return, I would ask for a different room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lnois
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Wife & I stayed here for our 5th anniversary trip to Barbados. Booked everything online and over email. They were very friendly and helpful with the entire process. They quickly replied to all my crazy emails and quirky questions. We rented a car (conveniently arranged through sea-u), which was a MUST-HAVE, as this property is 30 minutes drive from anything relevant on the west-coast. 15-20 minutes drive from any other more-inland attractions (gardens, gullys, parks, etc).

The view here is incredible. If you like QUIET and REMOTE, this is your spot. This is the furthest you can get from any of the tourist-ey big resorts and craziness on the west coast. Its really a great refuge for doing sightseeing or watersports all day. If you like to surf, you can jump in the water near the hotel, but its the atlantic/east coast side, so you should be a VERY strong swimmer. There are a couple of beaches nearby as well.

Green barbadian monkeys visited our balcony every day/night, which was really cool. Great sunrises, and hammocks everywhere with great views of the water. lots of birds, crashing waves, amazing.

BRING BUG SPRAY. The mosquitos only come out after 5-530 PM. The rest of the day, youre good to go!

BUY FOOD/SNACKS - there arent any grocery stores nearby, and food options are limited, so we just hit the big supermarket in town and stocked up for the week. We really didnt spend a whole lot of time at the room except for sleeping/chilling when we werent out driving around or diving/snorkelling.

Bed was a little lumpy, but whatever- we were usually exhausted from running around all day so it didnt matter. Its not a tempur-pedic by any stretch, but it worked.

Wifi was pretty quick. was able to facetime, do some photo uploading, skype calls, etc.

Overall, nice place! A *little* expensive for what it was, but decent. SUPER QUIET- you will sleep plenty. Nice chairs/hammocks on every balcony/porch, great views, breakfast was decent (couple fruits, toast, eggs). REALLY good coffee! juices. Plenty of convenient parking for the jeep/rental.

Ask for sea-cat to give you the proper coconut demonstration!! fresh juice and coconut meat was amazing!!

Room Tip: TIPS: GET A ROOM WITH CLOSEABLE, GLASS WINDOWS AND AC. We usually dont like to use aircon, but the mosquitos here are on another level of insanity, so you really do have to close up your windows at night. First night we stayed in a room with only a mosquito net over the bed, and they easily found their way through that. The mosquitos only come out after 5-530 PM. The rest of the day, youre good to go!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed in both separate cottage & top floor suite...both rooms excellent & really good value. Breakfast is included & is different every-day...but avoid dinner as no choice and pretty ordinary - Atlantis or Roundhouse are better of an evening. Otherwise, heartily recommended...and SeaCat is a cool dude!

Room Tip: Top floor suite is huge & great value for money!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel W
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sea-U in mid March and loved our stay! It was recommended to us by friends and we are glad we listened to them! We stayed in room 5 and it was clean, comfortable, quiet and private with a beautiful view. Enjoy breakfast on the terrace and fresh coconuts in the garden with Sea Cat in the afternoon. There also is a well stocked honesty bar and you can sign up in the morning for dinner. Be sure to check out near by Atlantis and Round house for a delicious dinner! The Sea-U staff & owner were very helpful and friendly. They helped us rent a car on our third day there, which we quickly learned having a car is the best way to get around. Sea- U is a 5-10 minute walk to the beach and 15 minutes to the infamous surf spot, Soup Bowl. Bathsheba was a great place for a home base in Barbados. It was about a 30 minute drive from the airport as well as each coast on the island. Overall, our first trip to Barbados was a blast and we are happy we chose to stay at Sea-U guest house. We definitely will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2013

First time in Bathsheba but not in Barbados. We chose the sea u , from trip advisor reviews and were not disappointed. We stayed in room 4, which had windows, and breezes on three sides and even at this time of year did not have to turn on the fan! The room was very comfortable and spotless . The views from the verandah are beautiful, and it is one of the most peaceful places we have stayed at, with no tv, radio or IPod docking station in sight, it was a refreshing chance. Although they do not serve dinner every night, it was great to sit own and meet our fellow holiday makers at dinner, who were a cross section of ages and nationalities.

Make sure you visit the Atlantis for the lobster, a two minute walk, or the Roundhouse for a salad and a wonderful view. You need a car to stay here but that gives you the opportunity to visit the many uncommercial deserted beaches within a 10 minute drive.

Can't fault the sea u, it's guests or the staff. Will put on the, "must visit again list!"

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple