All reviews guest house other guests honesty bar the main house the east coast get away fresh coconut water air conditioning open air ceiling fan tree frogs soup bowl mosquito net breakfast and dinner the cottages animal flower cave sound of the waves
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Here we are, sitting on our verandah, on the last night of our short, week-long stay at the Sea-U Guesthouse, and I just have to post this while the experience is fresh. We have traveled often in the Caribbean, mostly staying at all-inclusive resorts, but this is our first foray into the land of guesthouses. It's doubtful anything will live up to this. The Sea-U Guesthouse provides an unforgettable, relaxing and peaceful experience. You can tell the owner, Uschi, was a travel writer, because she knows exactly what her guests would need and desire during their stay. Nothing has been neglected, from delicious, local items for breakfast to get your day going--included, to a rental car that comes with your room, to dinners served family-style with new friends from around the world served in the intimate, outdoor, tropical dining hall, to the friendly and very-efficient staff--in the background, hardly noticed, and yet there at your beck and call, to the hammocks--I had no idea they would be as wonderful and tranquil as everyone in the reviews said. We've discovered heaven in Barbados and will be hard-pressed to find anything like this again. Thank you for a very memorable vacation. Rarely, have I left for home feeling this refreshed, renewed and relaxed!

Room tip: We chose the cottage because it is air-conditioned, but if I had to choose that over a view of the sea, I would go for the main building with the view. All they need to do is some trimming of the foliage and you would have both in the cottage!
4  Thank Canadamichellej
UschiW, Owner at ECO Lifestyle & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear Michelle,
thank you for your very positive feedback. The tree trimming is scheduled for next week. We don't own the piece of land and negotiations with the neighbor took some time but now we are allowed to trim. See you again hopefully one day.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were actually booked for week at other side of the island but are so glad we went over to check out the east side and we certainly don't think we could have found anywhere nicer to stay (or have breakfast) than the Sea-U. Honesty bar is a bonus - although the 2 bars in walking distance are great too.
Just beware of the mosquitoes lurking in the bathroom waiting to swoop!

Room tip: All have superb views
1  Thank Sam O
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My Girlfirend and I stayed here for a couple of nights. The accomodation was great as was the service and you certainly see a much different side to Barbados on the far quieter and less developed East Coast. Check out their website as it gives an accurate view of the rooms and grounds. The only points worth noting are you are staying in a very quiet part of the island so you will almost certainly need your own transport and dont be surprised if even the larger atlantis hotel is not serving dinner because of a lack of demand on some nights. Finally whilst the nearby beaches are beautiful and often deserted swimming in the atlantic is a whole different proposition to the Caribbean and is not suitable for all but the strongest swimmers.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I and 2 daughters stayed at Sea U for 3 nights. Our accomodation was on the top floor of the guest house and was very comfortable with breathtaking views of the east coast a perfect place for morning coffee or that sun set glass of wine The guest house I found to be very secure with full time friendly staff on hand to offer assistance or advice. The property is situated a few minutes walk from the coast line and the rum shops which are around in Bathsheba. The south cost and west coast are about a 30 minute drive from Sea U where you will find the larger resorts you will need to hire a car or use the local transport.

Staying at Sea-U is an experience of life in Barbados and should not be missed.

Room tip: If you are a large party travelling together there are two large apartments with an interconnecting door and shared balcony
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2012

After a few trips to Barbados to see friends i have decided that the East of the Island is for me. I accept it doesn't have bars, cafes, shops and sun beds on each corner to hire, but that is what makes it special. The beaches are more rugged with amazing views but with little gems like Bath beach close by, the Sea U is a perfect position to explore and even walk. The Sea U has a character and a uniqueness, which allows you to forget about the world. It isn't a 5 star hotel and doesn't claim to be, but it does feel like you are staying with friends who are pleased to see you and want you to stay. Walking around the coast to Martin's Bay to enjoy a freshly caught red snapper with a cold banks beer on the beach with the locals may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but for me it was fantastic. At the Sea U not every room has air conditioning but the cool breeze provided a natural AC, which I like. The meals are fresh and made up of local dishes, which were good and the honesty bar allowed you a drink when you wanted to. Thank you to the owners and staff for resisting bring too much modernisation to the place and ensuring the crazy busy world stayed away for a few days. My only problem at the Sea U was having to decide which hammock to sit in...

Room tip: Room 1 had great views from the hammock....
Date of stay: October 2012