All reviewsguest houseother guestshonesty barthe east coastget awaya lovely stayopen airair conditioningexplore the islandceiling fansoup bowlanimal flower cavesound of the wavesbreakfast and dinneratlantis hotelthe atlantic oceanself catering
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I and 2 daughters stayed at Sea U for 3 nights. Our accomodation was on the top floor of the guest house and was very comfortable with breathtaking views of the east coast a perfect place for morning coffee or that sun set glass of wine The guest house I found to be very secure with full time friendly staff on hand to offer assistance or advice. The property is situated a few minutes walk from the coast line and the rum shops which are around in Bathsheba. The south cost and west coast are about a 30 minute drive from Sea U where you will find the larger resorts you will need to hire a car or use the local transport.

Staying at Sea-U is an experience of life in Barbados and should not be missed.

Room Tip: If you are a large party travelling together there are two large apartments with an interconnecting door and shared balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2012

After a few trips to Barbados to see friends i have decided that the East of the Island is for me. I accept it doesn't have bars, cafes, shops and sun beds on each corner to hire, but that is what makes it special. The beaches are more rugged with amazing views but with little gems like Bath beach close by, the Sea U is a perfect position to explore and even walk. The Sea U has a character and a uniqueness, which allows you to forget about the world. It isn't a 5 star hotel and doesn't claim to be, but it does feel like you are staying with friends who are pleased to see you and want you to stay. Walking around the coast to Martin's Bay to enjoy a freshly caught red snapper with a cold banks beer on the beach with the locals may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but for me it was fantastic. At the Sea U not every room has air conditioning but the cool breeze provided a natural AC, which I like. The meals are fresh and made up of local dishes, which were good and the honesty bar allowed you a drink when you wanted to. Thank you to the owners and staff for resisting bring too much modernisation to the place and ensuring the crazy busy world stayed away for a few days. My only problem at the Sea U was having to decide which hammock to sit in...

Room Tip: Room 1 had great views from the hammock....
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sea-U for the first part of our stay in Barbados.

We arrived in time for dinner and shared our table with a lovely couple from Chicago, family style eating is encouraged and its a great way of meeting the other guests.

We chose the Sea-U for its simplicity and isolation as we were heading over to Christchurch for the 2nd part of our holiday.

We couldn't see the views when we arrived because it was dark, but we could hear the sea which was lovely. We booked a room in the main house and found we had the place to ourselves as all other guests were staying in the cottages - understandably because they had A/C. The rooms in the main house don't so if you want A/C book the cottages.

It was very hot in the room at night as the ceiling fan didnt do much, but after experimenting with different methods, we kept the slats on the doors open and slept under our mosquito net, so we got a lovely sea breeze coming through.

The views from our porch and the hammocks is breathtaking.

Bathsheba attracts surfers and those not afraid to get back to basics, if you are into noisy bars, nightlife and tourists, this is not the place for you. We came here to get away from it all, and we got our wish. We were slightly pre season so Bathsheba was quiet and the opening of other bars and restaurants was quite erratic, but the Roundhouse seemed to be the most reliable and they do AMAZING rum punches.

Martin's Bay is a good walk away, there is one 'taverna' there where they bring the red snapper in fresh and cook it for you! After a good walk, what more could you want than an ice cold Banks beer and fresh Red Snapper with Macaroni Pie!

I would definitely return to the Sea-U, but if you want luxury, power showers, tv (why would you?) etc this isnt the place for you and where else would you get an 'honesty bar' - says it all really.

Room Tip: It does get hot at night so you may want to consider one of the cottages as they have air conditioning, the rooms in the main house dont, but they have by far the better views.
1  Thank hanson23
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I booked a week stay at the Sea U. We arrived very late Friday night and we were hot and tired. When we got to our room we soon found out there was no air conditioning, no television, and it was very humid to say the least. The lighting was very poor and our room was just seemed dark and dingy. The next morning we went to breakfast and we were not impressed at all. I never dreamed that in the year 2012 a resort Inn would not have air conditioning. The island is beautiful but it is very hot and humid. I was ready to book the next flight home. My husband went and did a little exploring and found another hotel that was much more acceptable. While we did not expect to get our deposit back we did not think the hotel would charge us for a full week. They did and we are currently in the process of challenging these charges with our credit card company. Just know what you are NOT getting here. NO A/C, no pool, no television, no screens on the windows. I'm okay with rustic, but I do not want to "rough" it when I"m going on vacation.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool, fitness center, air conditioning, or television.
3  Thank Molly F
UschiW, Owner at ECO Lifestyle & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

It is great to know that you enjoyed the island and all that it has to offer.

If you look at our website which you used to make your booking each room type has its own description, the rooms in the cottage have A/C. In the morning after arrival we offered you an n A/C room which you refused. We never advertise ourselves as a resort Inn with the amenities you were looking for. Our website is clear and precise about what we offer and what not.

Our cancellation/early check-out policy is very clear on the website and you agreed with our policy when you made the reservation online.
Uschi Wetzels (Owner)

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went to Sea-u guesthouse when my wife expected our daughter and had a wonderful week. The views were magnificent, the surf spectacular and there were no remarks to make on the guesthouse.
Far away from the bigger hotels in a quiet area, a real interesting address.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple